Hey'all! im writing a new song, but im kinda stuck. I know nothing about theory at all, so i dont know how to continue. I got these chords so far:

G 5 4 9 7 4 2
D 7 7 10 9 5 3
A 0 0 0 0 0 0

So, could anyone help me by telling wich chords could be used after this ?
Thanks ^^
I - V - vii.

You've pretty much completed the harmonic cycle there. Your obliged to resolve it from there if you wanna stick to the rules of harmony. You could do a diminished chord though (2 3 4 5 6 7).

Another option is to tonicize the minor, and go from A -> Em (0 2 2 0 0 0), and then do another minor series that resolves back in the major. It might take some fanagaling with that first A chord in there.

ie. G -> D -> A -> Em -> Bm -> D -> A -> G (resolution)

ps. I"m not sure if 0 0 0 0 0 0 is an A chord...did you mean to write 0 0 2 2 2 0 ?
Funky c, Funky do
I think I'm going to steal this
kidding

What you've got so far is nice. I like the resonant A below the changing notes on top. Maybe you can alter the bass note; maybe to a C and/or G?

I don't believe that one has to know music theory to make a decent tune, but music theory is extremely useful to understand what it is that you are doing. It just look like you've used your ear to pick out what you'd like. See where your ear leads you. But on that note, I would recommend looking into music theory just a bit - keys and the such. It may benefit you in the future.

EDIT: dude above me. are we reading the tabs the same way? I think it reads down, not across.
Last edited by UnmagicMushroom at Dec 21, 2011,
Quote by funky_c
I - V - vii.

You've pretty much completed the harmonic cycle there. Your obliged to resolve it from there if you wanna stick to the rules of harmony. You could do a diminished chord though (2 3 4 5 6 7).

Another option is to tonicize the minor, and go from A -> Em (0 2 2 0 0 0), and then do another minor series that resolves back in the major. It might take some fanagaling with that first A chord in there.

ie. G -> D -> A -> Em -> Bm -> D -> A -> G (resolution)

ps. I"m not sure if 0 0 0 0 0 0 is an A chord...did you mean to write 0 0 2 2 2 0 ?

im sorry if it was a bit unclear, but G D A are the strings! those 0 are open A strings
And thanks for the quick reactions btw These chords sound a bit dissonant, and i want to go on with some clearer chords further in the song, if this makes sense to you :P
I know you want some theory, but I dont know anything about it either. However, after playing what I think these chords are (I'm reading them like tabs), you could place an A in the following form
e|-0-
b|-0-
g|-2-
d|-2-
a|-0

It really depends on where you want the song to go, and what type of mood you want to express. you could even go back to the

G 9
D 10
A 0
chord, as it also sounds nice afterwards (I would add open string on the B and high E though).
Or you could just repeat the pattern, but playing the same chord progression using different voicing of those same chords.
or hey, even do the same progression,. except only use the first two chords, and then that last chord as a verse type thing, followed by the two higher chords, going descending into the original chord.
just some idea, keep at it man.
This is what I've been able to conclude as to what the chords that you've posted are:

Am, AmAdd9, A#6, Bm/A, G/A, F/A

So it's pretty clear your song is in A minor this far. I think, however, that with the Add9 and major 6th and stuff that the intro (that I imagine it being) would be in one of the modes for this key. I'm not that strong on modes, however, so I won't go into that!

But with this as an intro, you could easily dwelve into a verse or something in A minor or C major (the parallel key).

Notes in the Am/C scales are all the notes without a # or b, e.g all the white keys on the piano (A, B, C, D, E, F, and G).
The major/minor relations are as follows:

Am,
Bdim (often used as Bm),
C,
Dm,
Em,
F,
G.

So try messing around with those chords, that should give you a good result!
THanks for all the replys guys! Im getting closer and closer to what i want! Ill post a vid when ive finished it ^^ you guys are the best!