I have no idea. looks like an es 330/335 copy but it would have had to have been modified
The split pickups are interesting...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Do you guys think that it might be custom built? I'm going through their archive of catalogs and I'm in the lats 70's now. I wish the guy didn't live 900 miles away! I want it! Must have such an odd tone!
I wouldn't say custom built but definitely customized. I don't think Ibanez really tried to make their own guitars in that age...they specifically wanted to clone the already popular ones.

i might be mistaken though, I only know what i've read, i didn't grow up in that era.
I wish I did, Imagine seeing the birth of modern rock!

Well all I know their first elctric was an original design, it's what we call a jet king today but the rest are coppies of Gibsons and Fenders

EDIT: No wait, Jet king looks like Jazzmaster/Jaguar...
Last edited by DaveGrohlfan at Dec 21, 2011,
everything but the pickups makes perfect sense for a late 60's ibanez. the logo is right, the headstock is right, the body is right, even the control layout seems right. the pickups are throwing me though. it doesnt look like they're modified (wood around them is clean), which means that it was built that way. given that there isn't much info on Ibanez's made prior to 72 (when they started using serial numbers), its hard to tell whether its a custom or production model

that being said, it'll sound pretty cool. split-coils are a type of humbucker. generally, you can think of a split-coil of sounding like a humbucking p-90
Maybe the guys at Ibanez where like. "Let's smack P-bass looking pickups in this guitar and just mess with some kid in 43 years!"
i am pretty sure it is legit. The split pickups were fairly common for a very short period in the mid to late 60's. nice guitar
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by DaveGrohlfan
Maybe the guys at Ibanez where like. "Let's smack P-bass looking pickups in this guitar and just mess with some kid in 43 years!"

sounds about right for Ibanez... I can also picture them saying something like "yup, that looks like a guitar. sell it"
Quote by krehzeekid
sounds about right for Ibanez... I can also picture them saying something like "yup, that looks like a guitar. sell it"

I can imagine that! I've got the Goldtop Talman semi-hollow. It's one of the ugliest shapes but at least it sounds awesome I want this guitar! I know I've said it before but it will change the dynamic of a song and make it sound entirly diffirent.