I was talking with family about the mark IV Ive been saving for (dropping the Christmas gift hint) and heard a comment along the lines of "I don't understand why you need an amp that cost $1000.)

I was going to try and defend my position but thought 'meh, I don't think they would even understand.'.
So what would you guys say in response to something like that?
Also, do you guys think non-musicians just don't "get it"?
Quote by zilant
I was talking with family about the mark IV Ive been saving for (dropping the Christmas gift hint) and heard a comment along the lines of "I don't understand why you need an amp that cost $1000.)

I was going to try and defend my position but thought 'meh, I don't think they would even understand.'.
So what would you guys say in response to something like that?
Also, do you guys think non-musicians just don't "get it"?

there are all kinds of good examples.

but first off, are you sure they are just playing stupid and the gift is hidden? that's a possibility.

but examples exist for almost anyone.

what kind of people are you dealing with? what are their interests? what do they do?

i mean, would you want a surgeon working on you with a butter knife would you?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Just come back at them with a hobby they have and say "Why do you need 'x' for however much money?"

Also, wait until you have multiple $1,000+ amps
This is the same situation in which non drinkers don't understand why I spend 500 bucks on whiskey and beer a month.
Youtube video of Spider vs Mark IV.

Quote by imgooley
This is the same situation in which non drinkers don't understand why I spend 500 bucks on whiskey and beer a month.

You crazy bastard.
Personally my view on "Expensive" musical equipment and instruments is this, If you have the money then fine go for it but its not going to make you any better. Someone could use a 200 dollar amp and still sound just as good. My dad was listening to this classical guitar play in germany who was sitting on the street. He was an amazing guitar player but playing on a guitar that looked like it was about to fall apart. My dad asked, "Why don't you go by yourself and nice acoustic guitar like a Taylor?" and the guy said "if you cant play on a 100 dollar guitar, you just cant play." So In a way I agree with your family.
I'm Bored.

tumblr
<- follow me
Quote by gregs1020
there are all kinds of good examples.

but first off, are you sure they are just playing stupid and the gift is hidden? that's a possibility.

but examples exist for almost anyone.

what kind of people are you dealing with? what are their interests? what do they do?

i mean, would you want a surgeon working on you with a butter knife would you?

I'm positive they didn't get it. The most I'd expect is money towards it.

I get the surgeon example but I'm also not a professional musician either. I'm more...a hobbyist.
I'd just like to improve my gear and start sculpting my own tone.
I fully understand. My girlfriend is always questioning my purchases. She tells me that my tubescreamer does nothing and its all in my head. She can't even hear the difference when i turn it on and off boosting my leading channel...

The best thing to do is make an example of something that has their interest and compare a quality product and an entry level product.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by stevosmusic1
"if you cant play on a 100 dollar guitar, you just cant play." So In a way I agree with your family.

i get the point here, but your dad had one as well.

you can play either, sure.

but what sounds better?

the same guy playing the taylor or the carlo robelli?
People who don't have hobbies or major interests tend to be confused at the excitement or level of commitment of those who do.

Some people really like eating expensive food, or wearing expensive clothes, driving nice cars, doing crack, buying beanie babies on ebay, or adopting African orphans. Guitar isn't so bad.
Quote by zilant
I'm positive they didn't get it. The most I'd expect is money towards it.

I get the surgeon example but I'm also not a professional musician either. I'm more...a hobbyist.
I'd just like to improve my gear and start sculpting my own tone.

i don't think the surgeon learned his skill with a butter knife either.

there has to be a "finer" thing that they appreciate and relate to.

but in there exists a reality that if you don't know what tone you want, how do you know a mark is going to be it?
Quote by stevosmusic1
Personally my view on "Expensive" musical equipment and instruments is this, If you have the money then fine go for it but its not going to make you any better. Someone could use a 200 dollar amp and still sound just as good. My dad was listening to this classical guitar play in germany who was sitting on the street. He was an amazing guitar player but playing on a guitar that looked like it was about to fall apart. My dad asked, "Why don't you go by yourself and nice acoustic guitar like a Taylor?" and the guy said "if you cant play on a 100 dollar guitar, you just cant play." So In a way I agree with your family.

So I should be stuck playing a squire and fender frontman until i can play like van halen?

Also, a 200 dollar vypyr sound like shite compared to a mark IV. You can sound 'just as good'.

It sounds like your encinuating that I am not good enough for a mark IV.
Quote by gregs1020
i don't think the surgeon learned his skill with a butter knife either.

there has to be a "finer" thing that they appreciate and relate to.

but in there exists a reality that if you don't know what tone you want, how do you know a mark is going to be it?

Played the mark. It sounds amazing. For me it'd be a tone I'd like to expand upon.
For my wife, I am able to use the argument of shoes. She is always asking "Why do you need another guitar? You can only play 1 at a time." My response is usually "Why do you need 10 pairs of shoes? You only have 2 feet." That shuts her up until the next time.
"dad i dont understand why you need a $1000 tv"
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by zilant
Played the mark. It sounds amazing. For me it'd be a tone I'd like to expand upon.

cool.

save your money, gifts etc. anything worth having is worth working and saving for.

Quote by gregs1020
cool.

save your money, gifts etc. anything worth having is worth working and saving for.

Couldn't agree more.
Lol, guitar gear is cheap. Look at brass, woodwind, or many other types of instrument. 10 grand for a decent instrument isn't out of the usual at all.

But I guess that wouldn't convince them. It's more for comparison.

You have to look at areas where they are willing to pay for good stuff. For example, a friend of mine is a carpenter who keeps a nice collection of tools just for home-use. He wouldn't need stuff that good at home, but because he knows what's good, he isn't willing to settle for less.
I could live off a bowl of noodles and some vegetables a day, but I don't. Why? Because it'd suck. The end.
Everybody's got something unnecessary they are willing to invest in heavily, you just have to find out what it is and show them your angle on guitar gear through that.
If you are not giging regularly you may find you wont be able to get your family to understand why you need a $1000+ amp. Hell I have played for 16+ yrs and giged for the last 12 and I still find it hard to make my wife understand new gear purchases.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Roc8995
Some people really like eating expensive food, or wearing expensive clothes, driving nice cars, doing crack, buying beanie babies on ebay, or adopting African orphans. Guitar isn't so bad.

Is it bad that I do all that and guitar??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Electric guitar is not a cheap hobby. Tell them that good tone doesn't come cheap and tell them
Quote by 311
If you want a cheap hobby try collecting rocks

And tell them that you really don't want to collect rocks.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by shredftw
Is it bad that I do all that and guitar??

Only if you have a pre-existing heart condition.