I've got an awesome looking, awesome feeling and almost awesome playing Les Paul. However, i get a problem when playing certain things. For example, pulling off from fretted to open on the 1st string results in the string slipping off the neck and sounding terrible barely producing a note. I've tried altering my technique (thought initially it might be that) yet it seems far too easy to do! The same applies for the 6th string also - very tedious

This can't be standard on LP's can it? is there a fix/any ideas what to do about this?

Thanks,
Miles
Quote by mingles20
I've got an awesome looking, awesome feeling and almost awesome playing Les Paul. However, i get a problem when playing certain things. For example, pulling off from fretted to open on the 1st string results in the string slipping off the neck and sounding terrible barely producing a note. I've tried altering my technique (thought initially it might be that) yet it seems far too easy to do! The same applies for the 6th string also - very tedious

This can't be standard on LP's can it? is there a fix/any ideas what to do about this?

Thanks,
Miles

Classic problem! Maybe not for LP's in particular, but you'll run into that kind of string spacing issue from time to time...much tougher to deal with on a neck through/set neck. If it were my guitar that would drive me nuts, and I've alway fixed that kind of problem even if it meant a new nut/bridge.

You can't adjust the neck pocket like you could on a bolt on, so I'd start consider either reslotting the nut and/or replacing it and cutting those outer strings in a little closer. The next option down the labor/cost list would be fussing with and/or replacing the bridge with something that allows string-spacing adjustment, and at about the same level would be considering whether or not the frets are rounding too early over on the edges. I did that to one of my ealiest builds, i.e. dressing the frets in a little too far, and it resulted in the string "falling off" as you're describing.

Anyhow, those are you options as far as I see it: 1 - nut work 2 - fret work 3 - bridge work.

Actually, another way you could deal with the bridge is filing the outer two saddles flat and re-sloting them a little closer in. That's probably the fastest and easiest way to deal with the issue I can think of; come to think of it that would be much safe/easier than dealing with the nut. If you think you'd run into action problems just flatten all 6 saddles and re-slot.

EDIT - The flatten/re-slot suggestion only necessary if your TOM actually has slots: some are already flat, in which case all you'd have to do is pick up the string and move it
Last edited by lumberjack at Dec 21, 2011,
I see a problem in technique. Les Pauls tend to do that, mine does IF i pull off in the direction of the neck. You have 2 options, either pull off in the opposite direction, or use a lighter touch. What you're doing is bending the string right off the fret, when you really only need a very small bend to allow the string to snap like it should when you pull off. Do you tend to play really hard?