Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone.

First allow me to introduce myself, my name is Chris, or Ezy Ryder (brownie points if you know where I got the name), and I've been a musician most of my life, a producer for 5 years, and now, I'm hoping you guys can help me with a little project I'm working on.

Between boardroom execs throwing money at acts until they start producing their OWN material then swiftly givin them the boot, and guys like Cowell who offer a little boy/girl with absolutely no live experience an instant contract, I think you'll agree with me, its folks like you, with the ACTUAL talent, who are being left in the dust.

At the moment I'm seeking funding (not begging, promise!) for a business idea I've had, basically been instructed to do some market research for it, so who better to ask than some REAL musicians, writers, composers? The question I have is this:

If you could have one product or business model that showed off who you are, or what you're about, be it DJ, instrumentalist, singer, whatever, that was COMPLETELY separate of the your website etc, was less costly than releasing a demo, and could be done completely off your own steam, meaning you retained control of whatever YOU released, AND get a LOT more profit from it, would you be interested? If so, what kind of content would you release? How much would you want to pay for such a service, that was specifically catered for YOU? What do you think you would expect for that money?
Hendrix. Brownie points. NAO.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

What actually is it?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
I'm also conducting market research.

If you could get anything you wanted as if by magic, would you want it? What would you wish for? Would you like to buy into my vague concept? Would you like some magic beans? Would you like to accept compliments from me in exchange for a little attention?

</arseholemode>

Sorry bro, it just sounds like bullshit on the surface. Elaborate a little more and I'm sure you'll be taken more seriously.
I cant really say too much atm im afraid, (lawyers sworn me to secrecy re: the details) but I'll tell you what I can here:

Basically I'm trying to create a method for debut and locally established acts to make much more of an impact at a lot less cost to themselves. As a musician myself I know the financial and mental drain that releasing a demo/EP/album can be, first you have to record the demo, thats 200 bucks a day right off the bat, or at least it was when I worked in a studio here in Glasgow, then you have to get the master duplicated, mostly in multiples of 100, then you have to send each disk to the printers, so they can print a design you also paid for onto each one, plus the sleeve/case, then you have the cost of actually transporting them to gigs, sending them to A&R etc, I'm sure you get the idea!

My method. You'd record it, you'd give it to my company, we build you a package from the ground up, working closely with you to get it EXACTLY how you want it, and you sell it wherever,whenever, and however you want. AND it would only cost you the price of a first class stamp to send it out. You could give your old and new fans a LOT more than a CD, for less than buying them a round of drinks.
Quote by Ezy_Ryder
I cant really say too much atm im afraid, (lawyers sworn me to secrecy re: the details) but I'll tell you what I can here:

Basically I'm trying to create a method for debut and locally established acts to make much more of an impact at a lot less cost to themselves. As a musician myself I know the financial and mental drain that releasing a demo/EP/album can be, first you have to record the demo, thats 200 bucks a day right off the bat, or at least it was when I worked in a studio here in Glasgow, then you have to get the master duplicated, mostly in multiples of 100, then you have to send each disk to the printers, so they can print a design you also paid for onto each one, plus the sleeve/case, then you have the cost of actually transporting them to gigs, sending them to A&R etc, I'm sure you get the idea!

My method. You'd record it, you'd give it to my company, we build you a package from the ground up, working closely with you to get it EXACTLY how you want it, and you sell it wherever,whenever, and however you want. AND it would only cost you the price of a first class stamp to send it out. You could give your old and new fans a LOT more than a CD, for less than buying them a round of drinks.

So your method is exactly the same, except... what? We're still paying recording and we're still sending out the demos. Are you just a PR company/agency?

Sorry for sounding confrontational, I'm just sceptical, I'm sure you understand

EDIT - I misread, sorry. But it still seems like instead of paying someone to do the design aspect, we pay... you?
Last edited by danielh123. at Dec 21, 2011,
Quote by Ezy_Ryder

So basically a really, really nice record label? But who pays for lunch?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I understand completely, I would be too, in fact when I wrote the proposal to my business advisor I was afraid he was gonna tell me to get to f.....

But you're quite right, daniel, that side of things is still the same. The duplication process, however, is different, cheaper, the printing process, cheaper, the most expensive part of it, is recording, the rest is dirt cheap, and it's all due to this guy:

(That sound you are hearing is my lawyer having a fit)
I still don't understand in full. Are you aiming to simplify the manufacturing of physical items for local bands by being a benevolent middleman?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
I still don't understand in full. Are you aiming to simplify the manufacturing of physical items for local bands by being a benevolent middleman?

I'm reading the thread and still getting the impression that what's being proposed is a sort of Thomas Cook package holiday thing, "you deal with us, we deal with everyone else for you" but for music recordings et cetera. If that's the case, bad idea bro. Middlemen are way out of fashion because it's so easy to go direct from supplier to customer nowadays and save a ton of money in the process. Unless you have a very unsustainable business model of "we'll charge people less than what they'd already pay", people are still just gonna put in the effort and do it all themselves.

It's hard to really get much more than an "uhh, maybe" from your market research without explaining exactly what it is you want to do.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Dec 21, 2011,
Quote by Ezy_Ryder
Hi everyone.

First allow me to introduce myself, my name is Chris, or Ezy Ryder

Yeah, this is where I went ahead and stopped reading.
Check out my band Disturbed
Oh so much more than that dark, my company would work with you to produce exclusive content for it, which can be anything you want in addition to the album, be it a bio, photos, videos, podcasts, interviews, press coverage you've had, ANYTHING that would help get you noticed.
So you're saying distribute the music on flash memory instead of optical discs?

I'm all for that because I just rip all the CDs I buy onto the computer anyway.

But a lot of people just like having a CD that they can play on their stereo, car, discman, even DVD player.

I would buy music in this format but I would have to think harder about distributing my own like that because I know a lot of people who can't understand computers enough to plug in a USB drive.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Well the thing that put me into this j, was the fact that more n more stereos, even the ones in the car, are coming with USB ports fitted, even at THAT level, I think its a winner for small acts who want more coverage. People pay 10 bucks for a plastic disk that has nothing but 10/12 songs on it, my people did some research on the street too, their willing to pay more if they get more than that, hence why I'm of the opinion theres money to be made for young acts in this, plus the exposure, and publicity factor.
Ezy, you have to remember that the increase of orders of magnitude in processing power, paired with an explosion of both traditional service and Software as a Service companies, have made it incredibly easy for someone to produce very high quality digital music on their own. The Internet and WWW enable the massive outreach required to show fans your material and build a fanbase with ease as well.

I guess your market research, in the form of this thread, will show exactly how people approach recording and distributing music these days. If I am correct in my guess, more people will prefer self-production and self-distribution.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Ima be sad if we just missed out on something good...
Quote by LuckyBoys91
+ ****ing 1

i've got a point

Quote by Pr0gNut
No,they're to high end for me.I usually just walk into a random building and scream "FIX MY BANJO NOW!!!!" until they hit me with sticks and call the police.

TSHM.
Quote by darkstar2466
Ezy, you have to remember that the increase of orders of magnitude in processing power, paired with an explosion of both traditional service and Software as a Service companies, have made it incredibly easy for someone to produce very high quality digital music on their own. The Internet and WWW enable the massive outreach required to show fans your material and build a fanbase with ease as well.

I guess your market research, in the form of this thread, will show exactly how people approach recording and distributing music these days. If I am correct in my guess, more people will prefer self-production and self-distribution.

This. If I want, with a bit of time, I can produce a high quality demo that's more then good enough. And release it online for free [or for cash via bandcamp, etc].
Spending nothing > spending. Especially when results can be pretty impressive [ie fans, getting your music out there without any consequences if no one pays any attention, instead of losing cash]
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Dec 21, 2011,
I think we missed out on someone with a nice idea that's unfortunately 10 or so years too late to be worth considering.

Most of us could do what he was proposing with not much more than a few phonecalls/emails and and some time spent on a home computer not posting in the Pit.

Hope he figures this out before he sinks any money into it.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I'm going to design a website. This website is free to use. On this website you select a list of bands that you like. Once you've selected these major bands, the website suggests some demos for you to listen to. If you like the demo, you add it to your list of bands that you like, and the website gives you place to buy their demo and what their upcoming shows are.

If a lot of people like the band, it will be suggested more, and the bands will eventually get signed (because the record companies would be stupid to not keep track of bands that everyone loves and aren't signed yet).

The suggestions would get better, because they are based on what people with similar interests in music have liked on the page.

NOTE : This probably already exists.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
I'm going to design a website. This website is free to use. On this website you select a list of bands that you like. Once you've selected these major bands, the website suggests some demos for you to listen to. If you like the demo, you add it to your list of bands that you like, and the website gives you place to buy their demo and what their upcoming shows are.

If a lot of people like the band, it will be suggested more, and the bands will eventually get signed (because the record companies would be stupid to not keep track of bands that everyone loves and aren't signed yet).

The suggestions would get better, because they are based on what people with similar interests in music have liked on the page.

Similar to Pandora
Quote by The_Sophist

I think a focus on 'local' bands would make it far more succesfull. Even if i don't like ska i'm more likely to go and see a ska band playing down the road than i am to jam to some kid from alaska's folk rock demo.
Quote by saladforkspear
Ima be sad if we just missed out on something good...
for some reason this reminded me of the guy that thought he made some revolutionary new kind of bridge for the guitar, and when no one agreed to help 'fund' then he got mad and said we were all missing out. i cant remember if that was in the actual guitar forums or here in the pit though
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I think we just sold all our possessions.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
If you're expecting me to put a friggin laptop in my truck you're bloody insane.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Page 1 of 2