I'm thinking about new pups for my MIM.
Budget: the lower the better and more likely I'll swap pups but max $250 (for all 3)
Genres: I wanna sound like Frusciante! I know....amp is more important, tone is in the fingers blah blah.

It's not a big budget to work with but I figure I can get something better than the stock pups

Right now I'm looking at the Fender 69 custom shops but idk much about pickups.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Bareknuckles Mothers Milk Pickups. They're modeled after his 62 strat pickups.
DO IT
Well, you always have a Seymour Duncan solution for a Strat. SSL-1 is the kind of pup that might help you, I guess, but I'm not aware if three of them will be within your budget limit.
I myself, on the other hand, was very satisfied with Wilkinson WVS, considerably cheaper than SDs, but excellent in terms of classic 50's Strat sound. Buying them from Trev's own website (Whamster.com) keeps you from buying cheap Chinese replica instead of Trev's handmade pickups.
IMHO, trying to sound "like" someone else is a little bit like chasing the wind. The pleasure of sound is more important to me. Both SDs and Wilkinsons can improve your MIM Strat. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time playing on your modded axe. Good luck!
P.S. If you invest in upgrading the MIM Strat, you might consider replacing the stock volume & tone pots, by some Seymour Duncan 250 k pots. For only 30 $, you won't believe how much will they improve the sound and your control over the guitar.
Quote by rv_phoenix

IMHO, trying to sound "like" someone else is a little bit like chasing the wind. The pleasure of sound is more important to me. Both SDs and Wilkinsons can improve your MIM Strat. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time playing on your modded axe. Good luck!
P.S. If you invest in upgrading the MIM Strat, you might consider replacing the stock volume & tone pots, by some Seymour Duncan 250 k pots. For only 30 $, you won't believe how much will they improve the sound and your control over the guitar.

Well, if I don't specify a sound I'm trying to achieve then the criteria would be too broad.

And I doubt that replacement pots will make a noticeable difference in sound.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Check out D'Allen's loaded pick guards, they run just about your price range, maybe a bit more. You'll get great custom wound pups, new electronics, switching options, and it drops right in. Just need to connect your ground wire and the jack. I am in love with mine. Went with the Hot Vintage 54/59s and 7-way switching.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
The volume and tone pots influence the way the pickups work. That's why guitars with humbuckers have 500k pots, while single-coils have only 250k. Of course they have an impact on guitar's sound, especially when, due to mass-production, they don't quite reach to the precise 250 or 500k.
It was just a suggestion. It's your guitar and you knolw better than anyone where do you start from and where do you want to reach. I can only wish you good luck and glorious licks!
Quote by kyle62
What amp do you use?

Fender mustang iii and Vox ac4tv

No I don't need a new amp
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Fender mustang iii and Vox ac4tv

No I don't need a new amp

Er....I'm not against the idea of buying new pickups, and those are cool little amps - but if you're looking for a specific sound, pickups won't cut it at all.

if you want to sound like Frusciante, you need a decent Marshall-voiced valve amp. Pickups wouldn't really make that much of a difference - a Strat and a Marshall is what you need.
Last edited by kyle62 at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by kyle62
Er....I'm not against the idea of buying new pickups, and those are cool little amps - but if you're looking for a specific sound, pickups won't cut it at all.

if you want to sound like Frusciante, you need a decent Marshall-voiced valve amp. Pickups wouldn't really make that much of a difference - a Strat and a Marshall is what you need.

I just need something to replace the lifeless stock pups. I know I'll get a new amp down the road sometime.

And do staggered pole pieces make a difference soundwise?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Dec 22, 2011,