The headphone slot-type-thing on my iPod is damaged, so that if I want to hear the left side of the panning of a song (what you would normally hear through your left headphone), I have to hold the headphone jack at a certain angle. While driving and playing my iPod through the car via a tape that plugged into my headphone slot, the song Catch & Release played. Seeing as I couldn't hold the jack while driving, it only played the right side. I then realized just how cool it sounded; in this particular song, the guitar is panned to the left side, so in this case, I was hearing the song without the guitar, giving it a very ambient sound. If you want to try this for yourself, open up the volume control on your computer, and put the slider above the volume all the way to one side (in this case, the right), then click the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7KaLTT7BEc

If you just hear ambient synth and hi-hat, you did it right.

So, does anyone have examples of songs that also have interesting panning? Personally, I pay a lot of attention to this type of thing; I'm curious as to whether or not a lot of you do too.
Beatles.

Eleanor Rigby makes me lol

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
a lot of metal will pan harmonies separately, I know that's not massively interesting but it sometimes makes me think "wtf"when I only have one earphone.

I have a book & CD by Barrett Tagliarno (or something) called Chord Tone Soloing, and the CD tracks can have the lead guitar or the rhythm removed depending how you pan. I think that's a pretty neat idea
When I record my own music, I get obsessional with the panning. I want the tunes to be enhanced by panning the instruments interestingly. So, yes - my music.

And The Beatles had some God awful panning in my humble opinion. Some songs you're bombarded with glaring vocals 100% out of one ear.
Hendrix.

Actually in the olden days, one could only pan hard left, hard right, or dead centre.
Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World is basically two songs in one, panned left and right.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
Quote by Anty 7
Hendrix.

Actually in the olden days, one could only pan hard left, hard right, or dead centre.

Yup. That's why if you listen to anything off of Saucerful of Secrets by Pink Floyd, the panning is choppy. They, at least, had five directions to pan in.
Quote by yoduh4077
Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World is basically two songs in one, panned left and right.
Damn; I'm definitely checking this out.

Edit: Wow, you're right; the right side is like, indie acoustic, while the left is really psychedelic.
Last edited by herby190 at Dec 21, 2011,
Skyscraper by David Lee Roth always comes to mind.

Whole Lotta Love tickles my ears and makes me giggle when I have headphones on at the "Wanna whole lotta love! mreeeeewww" bits.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by yoduh4077

Ha, never noticed this before, it's great.

My headphones do that too, I can't show anyone songs on my iPod anymore.
you're a stone fox
I was biking with just my right headphone in yesterday, listening to Rope - Foo Fighters.

Missed the entire guitar solo.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by yoduh4077

you're a stone fox
Quote by SkepsisMetal
One Ramones song has the bass panned entirely left. Bugs the **** out of me.

I'm pretty sure that's almost every Ramones song. Guitar on one side and bass on the other.

Edit: I'm pretty sure Journey to the Center of the Mind by The Amboy Dukes has some interesting panning but I haven't listened to it in a while so I don't remember.
Last edited by fuzzpedal at Dec 21, 2011,
Was going to say hendrix. Listeneing to half the stuff he's done with one headphone is probably the worst idea ever.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by SkepsisMetal

The whole first album is bass all the way to one side, guitar all the way to the other.
Quote by SkepsisMetal

You're thinking of all of them. On the entire first album and most of the other three that matter (Leave Home, Rocket To Russia, Road To Ruin) IIRC, the guitar is only on the right and the bass is only on the left. I like it, but I like everything about the first four Ramones albums, and I can see pretty easily how one would hate it.
Though every song does sound the same so I can see why you'd be confused.

But yeah, Hendrix and Beatles is always weird with one headphone. Not good mind, but weird. Stooges are the same.
Quote by Anty 7
Hendrix.

The panning in voodoo chile isn't like that :S, it swaps from one side to the other smoothly.

Edit: On topic, loads of doors stuff, drums left side only, bass right, etc. I miss the days when people actually bothered to pan things interestingly, everything has become very samey now.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Dec 21, 2011,
The solo to Purple Haze is great the way it slowly flows from one to the other and back.
Quote by Zoot Allures
The panning in voodoo chile isn't like that :S, it swaps from one side to the other smoothly.

Edit: On topic, I miss the days when people actually bothered to make music interestingly, everything has become very samey now.

Fixed to show Zoot's opinions on everything.
Last edited by cornmancer at Dec 21, 2011,
That song Bouquet by Bloc Party is kind of annoying when both guitars are hard panned on opposite sides. It's annoying because the guitars alternate notes from each other so every other note shows up on each side.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by cornmancer
You're thinking of all of them. On the entire first album and most of the other three that matter (Leave Home, Rocket To Russia, Road To Ruin) IIRC, the guitar is only on the right and the bass is only on the left. I like it, but I like everything about the first four Ramones albums, and I can see pretty easily how one would hate it.

Nope, it's just the first one that's like that.
Such Great Heights by The Postal Service. Through a good pair of headphones, it's one of the coolest sounding songs ever!
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Last edited by soul_power at Dec 22, 2011,
Can't find a video on Youtube that has it right, but Ex-Creations by The Fall of Troy is legitimately frightening with only the right earphone.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
singing under the rainbow by worlds end girlfriend

well pretty much all worlds end girlfriend, he leaaves little treasures for your ears to discover
Not interesting per se, but Selkies by BTBAM has both guitars panned to each side at the end.

I was pretty pissed about it during the month I was tolerating my earpiece with one side broken.