Scientists in Wisconsin and the Netherlands each created a strain of the influenza virus that is both highly lethal and easily transmitted between ferrets. Ferrets are the animals that most closely mimic the human response to the flu.

"We did not think that these papers should be published in the form that we saw them and that the methods and results should be removed to prevent someone else from directly replicating their experiments," Dr. Paul Keim, a microbiologist and chair of NSABB said. "The avian flu is one of the scariest pathogens that is on the horizon and its transmissibility in mammals is a step toward transmissibility in human populations. The flu could be transmissible from human to human and that could happen in nature or perhaps it could happen in a laboratory. Whether from a natural source or a nefarious source this would not be a good thing for the world."

Keim says while there is no legal consequence to publishing the papers, the fact that the virus has a documented 60% mortality rate cannot be understated. "The worse case scenarios with this particular pathogen are devastating. It's a high mortality virus and it's a virus that could go global. It's something that we, the scientific community, have been worried for almost a decade."

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/21/details-of-new-lab-created-bird-flu-strain-may-be-too-dangerous-to-publish/?hpt=he_c2

What's the point of this?
Because they can. What's the point of serialism?
Check out my band Disturbed
I swear this is like the 5th thread on this.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

They were determining whether or not the flu strain could be mutated in nature, and possibly start developing a vaccine before it ever strikes.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Quote by Trowzaa
I swear this is like the 5th thread on this.

This. It's going viral!!!!!!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
This. It's going viral!!!!!!

dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Old. Valid nonetheless though.

Oh, not trying to freak anyone out, but the Iranians have intercepted packets of digital intel from the CIA, and apparently, the US has a contingency plan incase shit goes tits-up in the Middle East.

Yep, they're going to release this virus and kill millions using tactical biological warfare.

So I've read anyway...
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Quote by KirkMetallica
Old. Valid nonetheless though.

Oh, not trying to freak anyone out, but the Iranians have intercepted packets of digital intel from the CIA, and apparently, the US has a contingency plan incase shit goes tits-up in the Middle East.

Yep, they're going to release this virus and kill millions using tactical biological warfare.

So I've read anyway...

To be fair, nowadays "shit going tits-up" with war basically means full-scale global thermonuclear war. If the world's being bombarded by the Cold War reserves, I'm pretty sure a little flu is going to be a nice break from the radiation.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by StewieSwan
Because they can. What's the point of serialism?

Woah man, don't compare a highly lethal and highly contagious virus to serialism.

The virus has done nothing to deserve that.