Hey all I have recently got Ableton Suite 8. I have recorded a couple of guitar tracks but I cannot figure out how to insert drums onto a separate track and create a beat for it. Is anyone able to help me out?

There's a couple of ways to do it.
You could build your own drum rack or load pre-existing racks from the instruments in live devices, and then you use the midi map or a keyboard midi controller to insert beats.
But what I do is download .wav samples from the internet (you can find torrents with thousands of samples). Then you just make a track for each collection of drums and drag and drop each sample in the track. That way your beats are easier to customize.

I doubt that made a lot of sense, but you can learn about that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7y2SXS2jOE&feature=relmfu
Or just find any other tutorial on youtube, there's lots of them.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
There's a couple of ways to do it.
You could build your own drum rack or load pre-existing racks from the instruments in live devices, and then you use the midi map or a keyboard midi controller to insert beats.
But what I do is download .wav samples from the internet (you can find torrents with thousands of samples). Then you just make a track for each collection of drums and drag and drop each sample in the track. That way your beats are easier to customize.

I doubt that made a lot of sense, but you can learn about that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7y2SXS2jOE&feature=relmfu
Or just find any other tutorial on youtube, there's lots of them.

Sorry I can't access youtube right now. Midi mapping seems like the best option. How do I find pre-existing racks? When I go to instruments -> drum racks it only lists individual drum pieces (eg. kick, snare) which I can only seem to load onto one track for each part.
Well it sounds like you didn't purchase it legally if there's stuff missing like that, the drum rack section is where you would find full kits. I also can't believe you would go out and buy $800 software when you have no idea how to use it. Suite also comes with a DVD of drum kits sampled from really nice studio kits, and I find it hard to believe you would have trouble finding drum kits when there's a DVD labeled 'multisampled kits' in the package.

If you want to try ableton, they give you 30-day trials of all of their products, then you buy them like a reasonable adult. It's really a terrible idea to have a pirated DAW, which is the basis for your whole studio. If it gets glitchy and freezes/crashes because you stole it, your whole studio is screwed. There's no excuse for pirating a DAW when there are perfectly good ones for free/cheap. You don't need Ableton Suite if you don't know how to make a drum beat with it.

Sorry if I'm coming across like a dick, but I don't want to encourage someone who stole their DAW with any tips/instructions for it. If you bought it, it would come with a manual which you could then read to learn how to make a drum beat. Try that next time.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Well it sounds like you didn't purchase it legally if there's stuff missing like that, the drum rack section is where you would find full kits. I also can't believe you would go out and buy $800 software when you have no idea how to use it. Suite also comes with a DVD of drum kits sampled from really nice studio kits, and I find it hard to believe you would have trouble finding drum kits when there's a DVD labeled 'multisampled kits' in the package.

If you want to try ableton, they give you 30-day trials of all of their products, then you buy them like a reasonable adult. It's really a terrible idea to have a pirated DAW, which is the basis for your whole studio. If it gets glitchy and freezes/crashes because you stole it, your whole studio is screwed. There's no excuse for pirating a DAW when there are perfectly good ones for free/cheap. You don't need Ableton Suite if you don't know how to make a drum beat with it.

Sorry if I'm coming across like a dick, but I don't want to encourage someone who stole their DAW with any tips/instructions for it. If you bought it, it would come with a manual which you could then read to learn how to make a drum beat. Try that next time.

I am using the 30 day trial mate, I'm asking for advice, not a lecture about stealing shit.
Quote by HeadlessCross
Sorry I can't access youtube right now. Midi mapping seems like the best option. How do I find pre-existing racks? When I go to instruments -> drum racks it only lists individual drum pieces (eg. kick, snare) which I can only seem to load onto one track for each part.

Drag any of those to a midi track and a device title bar should appear in the bottom with 16 squares for each octave, then drag whatever drum part you want in the squares to make your own rack. Octaves don't really matter but make sure you're in the range of the squares you're in, or else you won't hear any of the drums when you play them with your keyboard.
Then you create a midi clip (doesn't matter if it's in session view or arrangement view) and the clip view automatically appears in the bottom with the keyboard layout, then you just map out your notes.
Quote by Sid McCall

I may or may not have pirated it, and I'm not experiencing any problems whatsoever with my version of it.
Quote by HeadlessCross
When I go to instruments -> drum racks it only lists individual drum pieces (eg. kick, snare)

There should be a folder called "kit." Load one of those for a full one. The studio 707 was used by NIN on the Slip album.