Page 1 of 3
Ok so i have 1 cable on 8 ohm on my amp going into a 8 ohm cab. They match up but....

i get this noise when im not playing sounds like a thump and its kind of bassy.

What is this and can i get rid of it but getting 2 cables and switching it to 4 ohm?

The cabs total speaker wattage is 300 btw.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Please do not tell me you are using an instrument cable between the amp and the cab!
ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME? thats the problem?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
You are supposed to be using a speaker cable. If you have been playing with it like that for a long period of time you are causing damage to your amp. Could be the transformer.
NO I HAVENT NOT A LONG PERIOD OF TIME only a day can i save it?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
I have no idea if it will be ok or not, only someone who has had a similar situation or a tech could tell. But seriously, go out and buy a true speaker cable for your amp. It doesn't have to be very long in length.
Get a speaker cable, the sound you are hearing is prolly the melting of your cable from the inside, or maybe the crystal flux becoming angry. You should not use instrument cables inbetween the speaker and amp, mainly because the shielding wire is not meant to flow high current, and tends to melt.

Get a speaker cable, and it should go away.
Try an actual speaker cable. If the noise goes away and the amp still plays, you're fine and you got off lucky.
yeah i have only played it for not even 5 hours because of various reason and as soon as you said that i immediately disconnected it from my amp.

I definitely wasn't informed of using a completely different cable.

That may sound stupid as i know a lot about other things but this one got me /scartchmyownhead and face palm at the same time

I am going to be so f'in angry if the amp is perm damaged.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Ok thank you all there still may be some light on this seeing as you guys say if it still plays and it goes away i should be fine.

It played the last 2 times i turned it on (like i said i mustve played for max of 5 hours on it)
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Yeah if it was too late you more than likely wouldn't have been able to play on it.
Also i only hear 2 speakers going is this also because of the instrument cable because its not carrying enough electricity correct to the other speakers??

OK thank jesus christ almighty on the cross

EDIT: BTW sputnik you just saved me a **** load of trouble
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Last edited by GoodOl'trashbag at Dec 21, 2011,
you only hear two speakers going right now?

why are you even still using your amp.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
im not and its turned off. im not using it right now
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by AcousticMirror
you only hear two speakers going right now?

why are you even still using your amp.

what do you mean by why are you still using it?

are you implying that there is no hope for it?

or are you implying im just a retard?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Back when I was a noob I ran my Valveking using an instrument cable as my speaker cable, till it melted the cable, then I got a speaker cable, no damage to the amp. I doubt the amp was damaged.

The reason that not all the speakers were going might be because you have you cab set to stereo, which will only run two of the speakers at one time, it's stereo and requires two 8 ohm inputs from the amp to run all 4 speakers.
yeah well i immediately unplugged it and the power to the amp too, so if i get lucky ill be extremely happy.

So If i get a cable and everything works i dont have to worry about anything getting destroyed? like anything melting like the cable.

i dont think 5 hours is even enough time to do perm damage, i think i have less than 5 on it tbh

EDIT: thanks ethan, and so should i buy 2 cables and set the OHM to 4 on the amp and plug the 2 speaker cables into my cab?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
yeah well i immediately unplugged it and the power to the amp too, so if i get lucky ill be extremely happy.

So If i get a cable and everything works i dont have to worry about anything getting destroyed? like anything melting like the cable.

i dont think 5 hours is even enough time to do perm damage, i think i have less than 5 on it tbh

EDIT: thanks ethan, and so should i buy 2 cables and set the OHM to 4 on the amp and plug the 2 speaker cables into my cab?

Depends on the amp and cab. If your cab has a selector switch, and two inputs, then you need two 8 ohm inputs from the amp, or two 16 ohm inputs from the amp, depends on what selection you have the cab on. It should say on the cab exactly what the ohms and wattage is for each input and on the switch if it has one.

If you amp is capable of stereo output, then you don't need to down the ohms, if it says 8 ohms out stereo, then that means each out is 8 ohms into the speaker cab at 8 ohms, nothing more, nothing less.

And please get two, 3 feet or less, SPEAKER CABLES, not instrument, and NOT stereo cables.
i gotcha on that....

and there is no switch its just says 8 OHM speakers. There both 8 ohm out put, which im assuming if i plug two in it will be 4 ohm when i have 2 in

There is no switch for stereo/mono or any switch anywhere
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
i gotcha on that....

and there is no switch its just says 8 OHM speakers. There both 8 ohm out put, which im assuming if i plug two in it will be 4 ohm when i have 2 in

There is no switch for stereo/mono or any switch anywhere

On the cab or amp? You need to be very specific.

The amp and cab need to have two 8 ohm jacks for you to be able to run stereo. If the amp only has one jack, then it's mono. If the cab has two jacks, it's a stereo cab, if it has one jack, then it's a mono cab.

If you have two 8 ohm outputs from the amp, then each output will STAY 8 ohms, they will not drop to 4 ohms when using both.

Mono= one input/output runs 4/4 speakers in a 4x12

Stereo= two inputs of equal ohms input/output runs 2/4 speakers per input in a 4x12
there is a switch on my amp with 4 ohm or 8 and my cab is 8 so i have it set at 8

there 1 16ohm jack on the amp and 2 4/8ohm jacks on the amp as well.

On the cab there is 2 8 ohm

So buy 2 cables keep the amp on 8ohm and keep the switch on 8ohm and put the 2 cables in the 4/8 jack correct?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
there is a switch on my amp with 4 ohm or 8 and my cab is 8 so i have it set at 8

there 1 16ohm jack on the amp and 2 4/8ohm jacks on the amp as well.

On the cab there is 2 8 ohm

So buy 2 cables keep the amp on 8ohm and keep the switch on 8ohm and put the 2 cables in the 4/8 jack correct?

Exactly correct. Have everything set to 8 ohms, and everything will be fine...that amp allows you to run 4 ohm stereo if you wanted to(by putting the selector switch at 4 ohms)..which I've never heard of, but oh well.
ok JUST TO CLARIFY, and summarize.

I buy 2 SPEAKER cables 3 feet or whatever the length
I then take those SPEAKER cables i have purchased with my money and hook them up to the amp
The amp should be at 8OHM with 2 cables in not at 4OHM or 16OHM.
I then turn on the amp and make sure everything is okie dokie

BTW can anything bad happen to my speakers in my cab?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
ok JUST TO CLARIFY, and summarize.

I buy 2 SPEAKER cables 3 feet or whatever the length
I then take those SPEAKER cables i have purchased with my money and hook them up to the amp
The amp should be at 8OHM with 2 cables in not at 4OHM or 16OHM.
I then turn on the amp and make sure everything is okie dokie

BTW can anything bad happen to my speakers in my cab?

3 feet or less, just because anything longer is just a hassle and gets expensive. And yes, that's exactly correct.

Highly doubt any damage will come of the speakers, they usually will get damaged if you run the amp over the cabs wattage, or run a bass guitar though it.

Running the incorrect ohms on your cab will usually put stress on the output transformer of a tube amp, and if left like that too long could damage the OT or burn it up.

Solid state amps are much more forgiving, heck, I run my 700 watt Trace Elliot SS amp without a speaker cab hooked up to it and it's perfectly fine(recording line out purposes).

It's just tube amps HAVE to be at the correct ohm setting, and HAVE to have a load on the amp at all times when running.
ok so the OHM will not drop to 4ohm if i have 2 cables running into the cab
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
ok how will i know???? if im doing properly that is....just to be sure..i know what i am supposed to do already.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Well, if the amp sounds loud at a low setting, and get really friken loud at a higher setting, it's prolly right, if it sounds muffled or the volume is cut in half, you prolly have the ohms wrong.

It's kinda hard to tell until it's too late, but if everything is set right, you usually don't have to worry about it.
great well im gonna do everything you told me. so ill get the cables tomorrow hopefully.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
WTF??? What type of amp are you using?

I read all that shit and it doesn't really make sense. What outputs do you have from your amp? Is there a "use first" next to one of them?

What inputs do you have on your cab?

Normally using 2 cables into the cab is for stereo only. Do you have a pic of the back of your amp?
Hmm....UG seems to be pretty nice today.

Under normal circumstances, most people would have told you that your amp was fried because of the wrong cable.

WHO'S THE ONE RESPONSIBLE FOR TELLING TS THE TRUTH BEFORE MESSING WITH HIM A BIT?|
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Truth off of Marshall's site:
"For use when the total impedance of speaker cabinets used is either 4 or 8 Ohms. That is, when using either a single 4 Ohm cab, a single 8 Ohm, two 8 Ohm cabs or two 16 Ohm cabs"

This is NOT a stereo amp.

I don't know what your cab says so I can't give you full information yet.

Keep it simple. Select 8 ohm on your head and use 1 speaker cable to one of the inputs of your cab.

**There are a HUGE variation of jacks in cabs for extension/stereo, etc... so without a better explanation from you we can't give you the information needed.
Quote by R45VT
Truth off of Marshall's site:
"For use when the total impedance of speaker cabinets used is either 4 or 8 Ohms. That is, when using either a single 4 Ohm cab, a single 8 Ohm, two 8 Ohm cabs or two 16 Ohm cabs"

This is NOT a stereo amp.

I don't know what your cab says so I can't give you full information yet.

Keep it simple. Select 8 ohm on your head and use 1 speaker cable to one of the inputs of your cab.

**There are a HUGE variation of jacks in cabs for extension/stereo, etc... so without a better explanation from you we can't give you the information needed.

It's a stereo cab, because he said he could only get 2 speakers to work going in one input.

You can still use the amp as a stereo set up, wont hurt it any, as long as the cab is the correct ohms, and the two speakers on each side can handle the full wattage of the amp, which I bet it can since he said it's a 300 watt cab, so 150 watts per side is more than that tube amp can put out.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's a stereo cab, because he said he could only get 2 speakers to work going in one input.

You can still use the amp as a stereo set up, wont hurt it any, as long as the cab is the correct ohms, and the two speakers on each side can handle the full wattage of the amp, which I bet it can since he said it's a 300 watt cab, so 150 watts per side is more than that tube amp can put out.

Is it a stereo cab? Has he confirmed?

If true- and he wanted to use both left and right(8 ohms each) then he would have to have his selector on his amp at 4 ohms.

Otherwise his OT is gone.
Quote by R45VT
Is it a stereo cab? Has he confirmed?

If true- and he wanted to use both left and right(8 ohms each) then he would have to have his selector on his amp at 4 ohms.

Otherwise his OT is gone.

Why? The amp puts out 8 ohms from each output to separate cabs, which a stereo cab is set up so each set of speakers is separate from the other. I mean, it's like running two 2x12 that's are screwed together.

Even if you add the impenitence of each cab side, it'll be 16 ohms, which you would have to use the 8 ohm setting right? Not the 4 ohm setting.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Why? The amp puts out 8 ohms from each output to separate cabs, which a stereo cab is set up so each set of speakers is separate from the other. I mean, it's like running two 2x12 that's are screwed together.

Even if you add the impenitence of each cab side, it'll be 16 ohms, which you would have to use the 8 ohm setting right? Not the 4 ohm setting.

two cabs in paralell @ 8ohms each = a 4ohm load = BAD for the amp if the amp is on the 8 ohm setting..
Quote by ethan_hanus

Dude.

The amp head is NOT stereo. It will still be mono. I googled his amp and found the manual which I quoted.

You can use two 16 ohm cabs on the 8 ohm setting, or two 8 ohm cabs on the 4 ohm setting.

Every head is different, every cab is different.

Here is the link:
http://marshallamps.com/downloads/files/DSL100_50%20hbk.pdf

Again I know you are trying to help him. These are parallel output jacks.

If you really want to get technical - parallel resistance is the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocal. (2 cabs 8ohms- cut it in half= 4ohms)
Last edited by R45VT at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by R45VT
Dude.

The amp head is NOT stereo. It will still be mono. I googled his amp and found the manual which I quoted.

You can use two 16 ohm cabs on the 8 ohm setting, or two 8 ohm cabs on the 4 ohm setting.

Every head is different, every cab is different.

Here is the link:
http://marshallamps.com/downloads/files/DSL100_50%20hbk.pdf

Again I know you are trying to help him. These are parallel output jacks.

If you really want to get technical - parallel resistance is the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocal. (2 cabs 8ohms- cut it in half= 4ohms)

That makes more sense when you say they are parallel output jacks, how was I supposed to know? It's just a general assumption that when you have two jacks side by side with the same ohm rating that they are stereo jacks.
Page 1 of 3