So tomorrow I'm going overseas for a month, and I'm wondering what I should do with my guitars to ensure they don't get damaged by sitting idle in a likely hot room (it is summer where I am) So what should I do in the way of strings, packing and storing to make sure they're fine when I come back?

I thank you in advance.
if you have a basement id put them there or any place below the ground as thats usually the coldest, and if its summer by you then thats you're best bet. you can also wrap them in bubble wrap too if you want doesnt hurt.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
for a month.. I'd wipe them down really well with a slightly damp cloth even a light spray of windex to remove all the smudges and such that may contain oils and acids from your skin... tune the guitars up, put them in the case, and go away. Temerature extremes to a degree are ok as long as they're not quick, drastic changes. If it's not going to be hot enough to boil the paint, you should be ok..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Wipe them down the best you can, detune the strings so there is no tension on the neck, put them in a hardshell case, and then put some type of dehumidifier in the case along with it so the wood doesn't warp. This logic works good for traveling with your guitars also!
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
Wipe them down the best you can, detune the strings so there is no tension on the neck, put them in a hardshell case, and then put some type of dehumidifier in the case along with it so the wood doesn't warp. This logic works good for traveling with your guitars also!

Really? I've always thought that dehumidifying was bad bad bad for guitars? Also i would think you would want to keep the string tention on it so the neck doesnt destress and warp? completely oposit advice of what i have always thought.. Interesting..
Quote by Telecaster7
Hardcases are a negative, but I'll clean them, thanks!

then wrap them up in something to at least keep the dust off... and if possible store them standing up as long as they won't fall over... on a stand would be good.. not just propped up on the neck

DO NOT DE TUNE your guitar if your going to store it!!!

It's set up with the truss rod applying pressure against the pressure of the strings. That opposing pressure keeps the neck straight... if you de tune it, you're neck will warp for sure...

In the summer the humidity should be ok, unless your in the tropics... in Winter you want a humidity block, escpecially if it's being stored in a home thats running a heater or a similar situation...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Dec 21, 2011,
Quote by surjer
Really? I've always thought that dehumidifying was bad bad bad for guitars? Also i would think you would want to keep the string tention on it so the neck doesnt destress and warp? completely oposit advice of what i have always thought.. Interesting..

Humidity is the enemy of guitars, it can warp necks and oxidize hardware and strings.
You want to keep the guitar as cool and dry as possible. Any sudden (drastic) changes in temperatures can have some pretty adverse affects on the wood.

As for keeping the strings slack - that will keep tension off the neck so that the neck will not shift after long periods of time. It will also protect the neck when traveling from any hard bumps that can snap it. Honestly, It's not all that necessary for just storing the guitar for a month, but if you are doing that for a long time or traveling with the guitar (especially when flying) you have to be really careful that nothing can hit that neck.

edit: It also wouldn't be a bad idea to put some lemon oil on the fretboard too, but only on unfinished fretboards (rosewood, ebony) you don't have to do that on finished maple fretboards since they are already sealed.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Dec 22, 2011,
the guy is going away for a month.... it's not like the thing is gonna be sitting in a storage unit for a year.

For such a short time, you don't need to do much. Give it a good wipe down, and stuff it in a case if you can afford one.

I would really advise against loosening the strings. Guitar necks are designed to be under tension. It's not like you're taking the guitar out of a freezer, and storing it in a steel mill. Any temperature change that occurs will be gradual. When you get back home just let it settle in to a normal temperature for a week or so before adjusting anything on it.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Lol what? Why are people recommending dehumidifiers and detuning? It's a month. Nothing is going to happen to the guitar mate. Just chuck it in the case or somewhere where sunlight doesn't reach and you'll be fine.

Overreaction much?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"