WOW had this account for years, and this is the first time I actually post something, I think.

Well, I'm recording some demos with my band (CHECK) and one of our tracks has 230bpm, and it's 3min of just triplets and tremolo picking. When I play that track, my arm hurts like hell, and I get really tired. It's not because of the speed, because one of our other tracks has 280bpm, and has a lot of fast picking too, and I can play it just fine, but with this one, sometimes I can't even get to the end of it without stopping.
I use alot of tension on my arm, to get it tight, and I know that's wrong, so, do you have any advice?
your arm should never feel very tensed. Do you pick from your elbow or wrist?
Picking with the movement coming from the wrist is usually best. There are some famous guitarist who don't, but from what I have seen the wrist works best. There should be alittle tension. You want to be as relaxed as possible but you have to press alittle. Just make sure not to hurt yourself. Try practing in short burst, like a sprinter. break the song down into small licks and practice them each at high speed with a small break between each. Then start adding them together while doing the same thing. Guitar playing can be very physical and you have to train your muscles properly.
Quote by WesCThomp
your arm should never feel very tensed. Do you pick from your elbow or wrist?
Picking with the movement coming from the wrist is usually best. There are some famous guitarist who don't, but from what I have seen the wrist works best. There should be alittle tension. You want to be as relaxed as possible but you have to press alittle. Just make sure not to hurt yourself. Try practing in short burst, like a sprinter. break the song down into small licks and practice them each at high speed with a small break between each. Then start adding them together while doing the same thing. Guitar playing can be very physical and you have to train your muscles properly.

Thanks for the fast reply dude!
So, I pick from my wrist, but I put a lot of tension on the arm to get it as tight as possible, because if I relax the arm, it doesn't sound as tight as it could.
I mean, the problem isn't really recording, but when we play this live, I will barely be able to play anything fast after it.
Use a hard pick! That's all i have to say. Everything else was pretty much covered by those guys. And fatmysummer, that made me laugh. It's funny because it's true!!! XD
Quote by fatmysummer
marsturbate with your picking hand

lol, that actually doesnt work. After jacking off, your arms becomes really slow and sloppy. uhm... I didnt say that
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
The harder you hold your pick and the more angle you put on your pick will help you a lot. Sense tremolo picking seems to be second nature to you there's no need to explain anything. I pick with my wrist, but sometimes only my thumb and pointer finger is what is moving and that helps me out a lot too.

Rounded off picks work well too so try to use a pick you have that's pretty worn down. We all have our "favorite" pick which is beat to hell and broken in
Too much energy is being wasted on your picking, you could tremolo pick at high speed for hours if you relaxed
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
u should rename your band to slayer....

lol jk. its actually really good stuff man, glad thrash is still alive.

basically to stop the pain, working out a bit (if your not fit already) is a good help. i plan on doing arm training soon.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by uncle_sprinter
The harder you hold your pick and the more angle you put on your pick will help you a lot

No. This adds tension. You can relax your grip and pick crazy-ass fast without the pick ever slipping

Quote by Slashiepie
Too much energy is being wasted on your picking, you could tremolo pick at high speed for hours if you relaxed

Exactly. I tried timing myself once to see how long I could trem pick and got bored way before I would have got tired.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by llBlackenedll
No. This adds tension. You can relax your grip and pick crazy-ass fast without the pick ever slipping

+1

It adds tension and puts you in a modus where if the pick slips a little you panic because you cannot just regrip it, you grip it harder, you tense up more.. repeat.

Quote by llBlackenedll

Exactly. I tried timing myself once to see how long I could trem pick and got bored way before I would have got tired.

hhh i wonder what the guiness record is.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Quote by Slashiepie
+1

It adds tension and puts you in a modus where if the pick slips a little you panic because you cannot just regrip it, you grip it harder, you tense up more.. repeat..

It also for some reason makes the pick MORE likely to slip. I'm guessing it's like picking up soap - grip it hard and it will fly.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by llBlackenedll

This FTW.

Years ago I used to hold my pick with a Tarzan grip. My hand used to hurt like hell. Changed the whole style of how I used to hold the pick, and much more relaxed. Still maintained control and that 'tightness'.

This combined with relaxed picking with the wrist lets you pick at pace for as long as you like.

Tensing up in any part of your picking action makes your hand/arm tired.
Quote by llBlackenedll
It also for some reason makes the pick MORE likely to slip. I'm guessing it's like picking up soap - grip it hard and it will fly.

We should call it the Jail Shower Soap Principle.

btw- it is amazing and one does not really notice how it happens untill you slow it down insanely, but when you pick relaxed your brain and your hands actually coordinate to regrip the pick and microcalibrate it countless times... imagine trying to hold the pick so hard it never moves a single mm.. lost battle imo..
Quote by Hail

Quote by Steve Albini
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by EspTro
u should rename your band to slayer....

lol jk. its actually really good stuff man, glad thrash is still alive.

basically to stop the pain, working out a bit (if your not fit already) is a good help. i plan on doing arm training soon.

I'll take that as a compliment, since Slayer is one of my favorite bands ever, but I don't really see the comparison, maybe the vocals? I don't know

And no, I'm not fit at all haha beer is my worst enemy

Thanks for all the replies!
As I said before, my problem isn't the speed! I just get really tired on that song, if I try to play it as tight as possible. When we play it at rehearsals, I don't get tired, because my arm is more relaxed, but it doesn't sound as tight as in the recording. And if I try to keep up with the tension on the arm to get it tight, I die halfway through it
Quote by slashgunner
WOW had this account for years, and this is the first time I actually post something, I think.

Well, I'm recording some demos with my band (CHECK) and one of our tracks has 230bpm, and it's 3min of just triplets and tremolo picking. When I play that track, my arm hurts like hell, and I get really tired. It's not because of the speed, because one of our other tracks has 280bpm, and has a lot of fast picking too, and I can play it just fine, but with this one, sometimes I can't even get to the end of it without stopping.
I use alot of tension on my arm, to get it tight, and I know that's wrong, so, do you have any advice?

Off topic...just wanna say that your song is cooool!!!!!!!!!!

I like it
Quote by Chayakorn
Off topic...just wanna say that your song is cooool!!!!!!!!!!

I like it

Thanks man!
But it's just a demo track we recorded when we found a stable line-up. The EP will be much better. Stay tuned to our page.
Quote by slashgunner
I'll take that as a compliment, since Slayer is one of my favorite bands ever, but I don't really see the comparison, maybe the vocals? I don't know

And no, I'm not fit at all haha beer is my worst enemy

Thanks for all the replies!
As I said before, my problem isn't the speed! I just get really tired on that song, if I try to play it as tight as possible. When we play it at rehearsals, I don't get tired, because my arm is more relaxed, but it doesn't sound as tight as in the recording. And if I try to keep up with the tension on the arm to get it tight, I die halfway through it

yea the vocals and all that trem work in the solo's just reminded me of slayer :P
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
yea the vocals and all that trem work in the solo's just reminded me of slayer :P

Yeah, our singer does sound a bit like Tom Araya, but that's awesome in my opinion.
And all the trem work is courtesy of the other guitar player, since I don't have a floyd rose...
You just gotta relax. Take the riffs one by one and practice playing without tension. It'll take awhile but you'll get there.

Btw REALLY sick song. Stay together long enough to release a proper ep please!
Thanks! We're going to start recording our debut EP in the next weeks.
Here's a preview of one of the demo tracks we've recorded for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz-climNn8A

It has no vocals and the drums were programmed though, because it was only to get all the songs tight before getting "in the studio".