So I've been playing guitar for about 7 years on an off, mostly off for the last 4 years. Ive gone through so many phases of learning that I dont know where to start off anymore.

Alternate Picking is my strong point. Everything else Im kinda lacking but I dont know where to pick up at.

I know the major scale half-assed, same with the pentatonic, know the basics of theory.

Should I work on other techniques? Learn scales? Learn songs? Gahh! Any suggestions would be cool.

I pretty much just want to be good lol I dunno.
Learn songs that are maybe outside you're normal genre! Then learn why the song is what it is, learn what scales and chords it uses and try to apply it elsewhere!

Technique comes with correct practice so practice what you can't do slowly and well. While you do this, maybe learn why that lick, riff, or chop is what it is.

Overtime, by studying, learning, and applying, you'll have your aresnal ready, your techniques well, and your theory down.

Remember, Songs are songs, learning to PLAY a song is different then learning WHY that song is what it is.

If you just want to play guitar as a side hobby and not a main hobby, do whatever you want, but it helps to do all that I listed.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Xter
Learn songs that are maybe outside you're normal genre! Then learn why the song is what it is, learn what scales and chords it uses and try to apply it elsewhere!

Technique comes with correct practice so practice what you can't do slowly and well. While you do this, maybe learn why that lick, riff, or chop is what it is.

Overtime, by studying, learning, and applying, you'll have your aresnal ready, your techniques well, and your theory down.

Remember, Songs are songs, learning to PLAY a song is different then learning WHY that song is what it is.

If you just want to play guitar as a side hobby and not a main hobby, do whatever you want, but it helps to do all that I listed.

I like this idea! So, I listen to mostly metal. I know very little songs as it is already. Ive always just practiced scales/licks/etc

Any idea what kind of song would be great to start off with? Or a specific genre or artist/band?
Last edited by Thexbert at Dec 21, 2011,
Quote by Thexbert
I like this idea! So, I listen to mostly metal. I know very little songs as it is already. Ive always just practiced scales/licks/etc

Any idea what kind of song would be great to start off with? Or a specific genre or artist/band?

Learn about the current songs you like and why they sound like they do. Then I would suggest maybe trying Rock N' Roll, one of the influences of Metal. Then after that maybe try Blues, the mother of Rock N' Roll. Then after you have abit of experince of those, try some Jazz.

If you don't know Music Theory to well, try to learn why Pop sounds how it is. I know that most likely, 99.9%, you'll hate that, but it's for educational purposes. After you get better at figuring out basic songs, you can move onto more complex.

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day!

EDIT: Maybe trying learning from your guitar hero's influences! Synyster Gates was majorly influenced by Slash. It might pay to learn/take inspiration from Slash!
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by Xter at Dec 22, 2011,
Hrm, great ideas and thanks for the tips! I'll give this a try for sure along with my daily exercises lol

Slash is awesome and an influence. Ill check out SG fo sure