I want to try playing acoustic versions of some metal songs that I play, is it possible to drop-tune an acoustic with half steel-half nylon strings as low as Drop B? Or are the nylon strings just gonna break or become munted in some way? As far as I know, they're 12-54's, if that helps.
It really depends on what the string tension on them is. If they are the same tension as normal steel strings then it should be okay, as long as you have enough space to compensate for the drop.

EDIT: I just realized by half steel-half nylon, you might actually mean nylon strings. If so, I rescind my previous comments.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Drop B is just the Low E tuned down though isnt it? Like drop D? So you should be okay Id have thought, unless its a different animal, never used drop B lol. B standard would be all the strings =0?
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.
Latest additions: epiphone ej-200, boss me-20

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Am I old enough to wear this fist in school?
Drop B is with the guitar tuned down to C standard, but instead of the top string being C, it would be B.
Rightt okay. I get it now. As I said, dont play a lot of songs that are out of either Standard, or drop D. So yeah, the nylon strings would be pretty well unplayable.
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.

Quote by DAiMIteHan

You need enough mechanical energy to "drive" the guitar, to make it work.
So, there's a point of diminishing returns when de-tuning. Lower overall turnings like "open G"
Have enough tension for most acoustics to work, but folks who play such turnings often frequently use heavier strings to compensate.
I know many of you lads seem to like those lower tunings....Ever considered a baritone guitar, or even an acoustic bass guitar?
Quote by Bikewer
You need enough mechanical energy to "drive" the guitar, to make it work.
So, there's a point of diminishing returns when de-tuning. Lower overall turnings like "open G"
Have enough tension for most acoustics to work, but folks who play such turnings often frequently use heavier strings to compensate.
I know many of you lads seem to like those lower tunings....Ever considered a baritone guitar, or even an acoustic bass guitar?

Surprisingly enough, drop tuning a acoustic to say, drop B actually sounds really good, it still has that airy high chime, but with more low end to the notes. It works rather well and still sounds nothing close to a bass guitar tuning...drop B isn't even that low. You can do it with normal .012 gauge strings, it's just a tad loose, but it can be done.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Surprisingly enough, drop tuning a acoustic to say, drop B actually sounds really good, it still has that airy high chime, but with more low end to the notes. It works rather well and still sounds nothing close to a bass guitar tuning...drop B isn't even that low. You can do it with normal .012 gauge strings, it's just a tad loose, but it can be done.

Lets also keep in mind that the tension changes according to scale length as well. For some guitars, it may not be so good. B is a pretty big drop from E.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
And hes also using nylon strings for the higher three. It may work for streel, but Id doubt nylon.
Oasis nut

Quote by DAiMIteHan