For a lot of my music I think that it would be nice to be able to add that very subtle, fluttery vibrato sound you hear in surf rock. I'm basically looking at three options right now, adding a bigsby to my thinline tele, adding a bigsby to my xaviere xv 580 (basically a double cut les paul) or buying some kind of whammy pedal. I would really like to get the whammy pedal because I could use it for both my guitars and I could also use it to play White Stripes and Rage Against the Machine stuff but for some reason I have a feeling that they don't do subtle surf rock vibrato very well. If I decide to get a bigsby does anyone have instructions for adding one to a guitar or which guitar would be easier to add one to? Any information about them would be great. I'm basically looking for opinions on which option to go with and suggestions for specific products to buy.
Okay so I guess a bigsby is what I want. Are they easy to install? If its easy which guitar would it easier to add to?
It'd be easier to put it on the LP copy.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Surf rock vibrato is not subtle at all, IMO

Either way, a Bigsby is a TERRIBLE choice for a trem.

I highly recommend getting a guitar with a sturdy standard style trem, or with a floyd rose. Bigsby won't do it. And a whammy pedal is a totally different thing/sound. That won't work either.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

Either way, a Bigsby is a TERRIBLE choice for a trem.

Incorrect.

A Bigsby with a guitar that hasnt been setup properly is a terrible choice for a trem.
A Bigsby with a guitar with good tuners, a proper setup with a good bridge and nut is a fantastic trem.
Quote by Oldmonkeys
Incorrect.

A Bigsby with a guitar that hasnt been setup properly is a terrible choice for a trem.
A Bigsby with a guitar with good tuners, a proper setup with a good bridge and nut is a fantastic trem.

At the end of the day, I'd rather have a Strat or a Wilkinson trem than a Bigsby.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Totally.
Different strokes for different folks.
And they are a very different style of trem than a strat style trem, i personally love the one on my Jet and Tele. but i know not everyone does
Quote by Oldmonkeys
Incorrect.

I think you misunderstood... I was implying, it's a terrible choice for what he wants to do. Surf rock up to Tom Morello... a Bigsby is not going to do that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I think you misunderstood... I was implying, it's a terrible choice for what he wants to do. Surf rock up to Tom Morello... a Bigsby is not going to do that.

+1

You're either going to want a VERY loose Bigsby or something a bit more suitable for the task.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
+1

You're either going to want a VERY loose Bigsby or something a bit more suitable for the task.

i don't think it's even a matter of how loose the bigsby's "action" is, if you push a bigsby down as far as it'll go before the spring is fully compressed, you barely get a full semitone drop on some strings, and if you pull it up too high the spring just pops out, so it has a very limited range just by the nature of its design and there's really not a lot that you can do about that.

subtlety and pitch bend range aren't usually things that you can have both of with any particular style of trem. i think a vintage style strat trem is about the closest you'll get to being satisfactory for everything that you want to do, but it'll be a bit of a compromise on both sides of the spectrum imo.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Bigsby is too subtle for my liking. For a tele fit (you simply replace the hardware, and you can put it back later if you like), go with a Stets Bar trem. They are more sensitive and you get a bigger range in your vibrato (if and when desired).
Check out Stetsbar. They make a trem system for Les Pauls, Teles etc that fits with no modification. It's capable of crazy divebombs and Floyd Rose/Strat style fun.
Quote by jerm_corn
You could get the whammy pedal and a tremolo pedal perhaps?

How is a tremolo pedal going to give him anything close to the vibrato provided by a strat or a bigsby?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
He said he was looking for a subtle surf style sound the tremolo should cover that I would think. Granted its not as flexible as having a trem on the guitar.
Quote by fuzzpedal
Okay so I guess a bigsby is what I want. Are they easy to install? If its easy which guitar would it easier to add to?

Here's one mounted on my Les Paul

Google it, and I've found a company that sells a mount that you don't have to drill holes... Mine came from the factory that way..

Quote by Blompcube
i don't think it's even a matter of how loose the bigsby's "action" is, if you push a bigsby down as far as it'll go before the spring is fully compressed, you barely get a full semitone drop on some strings, and if you pull it up too high the spring just pops out, so it has a very limited range just by the nature of its design and there's really not a lot that you can do about that.

Yea.. the Bigsby system isn't a Floyd Rose... Not even close.. but I love's mine..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by jerm_corn
He said he was looking for a subtle surf style sound the tremolo should cover that I would think. Granted its not as flexible as having a trem on the guitar.

I don't think you understand what a tremolo pedal does. Fluctuating the volume isn't going to help him in his quest for vibrato.
You checked out the new Stetsbar pro stuff? Meant to be good. Bolts straight on where the tailpiece is. No holes to drill.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.