So I just recently got a new Fender Telecaster FMT(with a sweet coil tap!) and it dawned on me, it's time for an amp upgrade. Right now I run a Peavey Vypyr 15w (eh) and its ok, but I am sort of sick of modeling amps. I am in the process of saving for a new amp now
My budget: $300-500
Style: Think of a little Switchfoot, Anberlin and Copeland
Location: I'm a bedroom player who jams with other often. Hoping to do more when I graduate college.
Other equipment: A Pod XT live that I'm in a love hate relationship with and a Boss OS 2 and DD3

Your help is appreciated
You never know what temporal days may bring, laugh, love,live free and sing, when life is in discord, praise ye the Lord-Anberlin

Science is crazy!
I am in the same exact situation, except im in the heavier stuff.

I think I've narrowed my choices down to a kustom defender 5h, jet city JCA2112RC or JCA20H half stack. but since you already have some pedals im guess you could look into vox also. thought id chime in considering im deciding the same thing.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I've read up on Jet City and they seem pretty legit, vox has been my main consideration, but im still on the fence between that and a fender blues JR.
You never know what temporal days may bring, laugh, love,live free and sing, when life is in discord, praise ye the Lord-Anberlin

Science is crazy!
Rolands are pretty solid. And not too badly priced. You can get most tones out of them IMO.
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.
Latest additions: epiphone ej-200, boss me-20

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Am I old enough to wear this fist in school?
Quote by TerrBear2012
I've read up on Jet City and they seem pretty legit, vox has been my main consideration, but im still on the fence between that and a fender blues JR.

nice dude. im sure youll make the right choice.. always nice to go tube.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I've considered those, I sort of want to get away from the SS sound tho! Still a consideration cause I do believe some solid states are good

Science is crazy!
And cheap. And not heavy. And for a bedroom setting you dont really want a tube halfstack do you?
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.

Quote by DAiMIteHan

That's true, I'm not to learned when it comes to Roland, is it a modeling amp? As for the Jet City, it may be what I start saving on

Science is crazy!
Jet City might actually be really good for you.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Yeah they have a few effects in them. Depending on the model. They're all boss effects though (Ive found that boss is like marmite, you either love it or hate it) because thats their parent company. But they have a decent amount of options. The roland cube xl20 im looking at buying sounds really good. Has an acoustic simulator that sounds damn good, and a tube simulator that likewise. They're pretty easy to use (unlike the MGFX series which annoys the hell out of me), solidly built and I would definantly gig with one (if I ever got rid of my peavey which is HIGHLY unlikely)
Oasis nut

Quote by DAiMIteHan

My only issue with the Roland is I've become skeptical of any SS(my friends have Fender and Vox tubes) but I would have to test all of the amps, because I do want to start doing something with music after I graduate college as a side thing

Science is crazy!
yeah fair enough. Personally, I love my Peavey, even though its SS. 40 watts of peavey power in only 28lbs?
Oasis nut

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Quote by Josh01993
yeah fair enough. Personally, I love my Peavey, even though its SS. 40 watts of peavey power in only 28lbs?

Mobility is a big issue as well, this is where SS wins! I've got some time to decide but it's good to have an idea

Science is crazy!
true that.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
don't listen to him, he has no idea what he's talking about. You would be going from one modeling amp to another. Anberlin and Switchfoot both use British amps like Marshall's and Oranges. You should go for something in that vein.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Well i got myself a jca20h half stack a few days ago and i'm loving it, and i play in a similar vein of music as the op. It takes pedals very well (well it likes mine anyway), it's definitely not too loud to have in a bedroom, but i haven't had a chance to try one in a band setting yet. However i upgraded from a tube amp and it was great. If your going from a cheap little SS, the new tones will be magical. If you've got the cash I would definitely recommend it. Good luck man
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Quote by theponz
Well i got myself a jca20h half stack a few days ago and i'm loving it, and i play in a similar vein of music as the op. It takes pedals very well (well it likes mine anyway), it's definitely not too loud to have in a bedroom, but i haven't had a chance to try one in a band setting yet. However i upgraded from a tube amp and it was great. If your going from a cheap little SS, the new tones will be magical. If you've got the cash I would definitely recommend it. Good luck man

im hoping to get that or the combo and im gonna get a zak wydle od pedal to go with it for some metal tones.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
im hoping to get that or the combo and im gonna get a zak wydle od pedal to go with it for some metal tones.

Hey man I'm no metal player but I'm sure with a nice boost/OD you could do that very well. Also, the combo has reverb, so if you want that its a bonus, but the half stack looks cooler imo, and you can always upgrade to a bigger cab if needed. But god i love coming down to my basement finding a big ass half stack to crank
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Last edited by theponz at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by theponz
Hey man I'm no metal player but I'm sure with a nice boost/OD you could do that very well. Also, the combo has reverb, so if you want that its a bonus, but the half stack looks cooler imo, and you can always upgrade to a bigger cab if needed. But god i love coming down to my basement finding a big ass half stack to crank

Yeah, the half stack does look much much cooler. Kustom has a 5 watt half stack, only has a volume knob though... nothing else.for $199, cant find too many reviews or demos of it though. So Most likely ill go with the jet city, It between the two half stacks or maybe that jet city combo, but im thinking half stack.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I'm looking into either and AC15 or the Jet JCA 20W tube...You think I could some sort of headphone adapter(I occasionally get insomnia and practice :P ) ?

Science is crazy!
Quote by TerrBear2012
I'm looking into either and AC15 or the Jet JCA 20W tube...You think I could some sort of headphone adapter(I occasionally get insomnia and practice :P ) ?

For those amps most likely not. Most tube amps don't have a dedicated headphone out, meaning that there isn't really a place to even plug a headphones adapter in, and if there is it sounds pretty nasty. also, never try to run a head without a cab and just headphones, thats a no no. If you knew that, I apologize, I just didn't want you to potentially ruin whatever amp you get.

As for your choices, The AC 15 and jca are very different beasts. The jca is a distortion monster, from what I understand it is very good for an 80s sound, though it can be boosted for some heavier stuff. Again, heresay only, I haven't tried it for myself. The vox I have tried. Nice clean, like most people say it is very chimey, and it gets a very distinct breakup when you start turning it up, doesn't really sound like anything else.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Thanks for the reminder I wish you had been there when I put too strong of a powersupply in my first Delay Pedal(it still smells burnt) Thankfully I've got forever to make a decision(I'm hoping to get some graduation cash) But I'll probably try them all out, and honestly I'm thinking the VOX since a lot of my influences use that.

Science is crazy!
If I were you I'd save the extra dollars and get the JCA22h, if you plan to go with Jet City. It has an FX loop as well as an extra channel, plus the gain for metal should you ever need it.

Unfortunately, most all-tube amps cannot be used with headphones. However, Weber makes a very useful box that will act as a load for your head yet allow you to use headphones: https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/hpa50.htm
It's true with the JCA22h I would save some money(can you say volume pedal?)

Science is crazy!
Anberlin-VHT and Marshall TSL

Switchfoot-Vox AC30, Matchless, Top Hat, 65 Amps, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Orange, Swart, etc.

Copeland-Fender Hot Rod Deville with overdrive and fuzz

Tough call. You wanna emulate all of these attributes or just get in a general ballpark that would work within these basic genres of music?
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
Anberlin-VHT and Marshall TSL

Switchfoot-Vox AC30, Matchless, Top Hat, 65 Amps, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Orange, Swart, etc.

Copeland-Fender Hot Rod Deville with overdrive and fuzz

Tough call. You wanna emulate all of these attributes or just get in a general ballpark that would work within these basic genres of music?

I want to get in sort of the ballpark...wow you just pwned me in my band knowledge

Science is crazy!
Quote by TerrBear2012
I want to get in sort of the ballpark...wow you just pwned me in my band knowledge

I'm a nerd. I think a Jet City would work. It's not going to match some of the cleans tones as well, but the distortion will work for it.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Win for being a nerd! Jet City is looking better and better, I'm gonna have to see if my Guitar Center(1.5 hour away !!! ) has them. That or the VOX AC 15....

Science is crazy!
An AC15 works well too. Great cleans and overdrive. I get good Switchfoot (not fuzz) approximations with my AC15 running fairly clean and my Fulldrive 2. Look for one used if you prefer them.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Hmm the only thing about the vox that really bugs me is that you can't really switch channels with a footswitch as far as I know, I could be wrong

Science is crazy!
Hmmm this may be worth my time.....

Science is crazy!
seems like a great deal, there is a few demos on you tube.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I'm a tad skeptical, it seems too good to be true, that would free up some cash for a volume and tuning pedal and maybe another boost

Science is crazy!