Budget? - Under $350, I'm not the richest guy in the world and I have a financial problem so...

Favorite Artists? - Not really artists but bands like: Sum 41, Alesana, Rise Against. The Pop Punk ex: Blink-182 to the heavier Pop Punk ex: Sum 41 in 2001 to the Punk Rock ex: Current Sum 41, Rise Against and Relient K to the Metalcore and Emo-ish like Alesana, Black Veil Brides (not a fan of the band just the guitarists) Bring me the Horizon, Inhale Exhale.

Preferences? - Something like the Ibanez RG, I think it's called Super Strat?, Shark Fin inlays, reverse headstock, thin neck but wide string spacing, I don't care what brands, 24 frets and no tremolo/floyd rose. I want a hard tail bridge, I really don't want a tremolo I don't want to have more trouble with the intonation and replacing the strings

Pickups? - HH configuration, passive pickups. If it's around $100-150 I can replace both pickups if it's around $200-250 I can replace 1 pickup. If it is on the cheaper side I would like some recommendations for pickups.

New or Used? - I've checked a lot of websites but I really can't find any cheaper guitars (these are local websites and shops of course, I've checked pawn shops also)

Location? - Richmond, British Columbia, Canada. Nearest city is Vancouver and I go to Seattle occasionally, where there is guitar center but I go there like once every year. Local shops are Long and McQuade, Tom Lee, Rufus Music, Carillon Music, Vancouver Music Gallery, Bonerattle Music, and Basone Guitars. All in Vancouver, other than Long and McQuade or Tom Lee but there are bigger Long and McQuade and Tom Lee shops in Vancouver.

Current Gear? - Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal, Traynor DG-10, Guitar Rig 3 & 4, Digitech RP-70, Boss Metalcore, but I usually record straight to my computer. I have a Squier by Fender Deryck Whibley Signature Telecaster and a Slammer by Hamer SP-1.
I'm okay with HSH configuration. I've checked out rondo music and the douglas spad looks nice, but it doesn't have the inlays. Remember they're just PREFERENCES they don't all have to be there but I'd prefer if most to all of them were there. and it MUST be $350 or under.
all in your budget, all easy to find in the Vancouver area:

-Ibanez RG321MH
-Kramer Pacer
-Jackson JS32RT
Ibanez Rg321. Its 300$. you could check kijiji but bc kijiji sucks.
The pickups are based on the paf set and sound pretty good in my opinion until you get into heavily down tuned chugs. In fact I've had several sets in mine and put the stock back in as I found they really suited the guitar. I use mine for classic rock, hard rock, punk (pop punk too), and a bit of shred.
You can't go wrong with Ibanez. I honestly think they have the best quality guitars for under that price range. My RG cost me 200 and i have had it for 3 years or so and i really haven't had any issues with it. I think Dean is about the worse choice you could make (out of the major guitar companies), 250k pots and cheap hardware. I have owned 2 under 300 dollar deans and they fell apart. An ESP F-50 which the switch went bad in. But my ibanez is still a trooper.

The RG321 would be nice and a step above the one i own and i think it's in that price range. Now would be a good time to walk into your local guitar center and take advantage of their sale.

EDIT: BC Rich is not really known to give you great bang for your buck either, my friend owned one and the bridge pickup stopped working D:
Last edited by uncle_sprinter at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
The Jackson JS32RT is pretty much the only guitar out there that fits all your specs.

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=2910027382

Wow fits my budget too!
Although the Ibanez RG321 looks nice also, I like the ibanez for it's contoured heel, thin neck, and it's pickups. The jackson though has cool pickups, reverse headstock, shark fin inlays. Which one has a thinner/smoother neck, more durability and a better pickups? at this price I can' really replace any.

Edit: I meant forearm contour, sorry i get confused
Last edited by dragonkidkoga at Dec 22, 2011,
The ibanez surely has a thinner neck, but prolly not by much. Neck is quite slick and the only durability issues will be with the pots switch and jack. Never tried those actives so I wont comment on those.
Quote by StateFarmsThere
The ibanez surely has a thinner neck, but prolly not by much. Neck is quite slick and the only durability issues will be with the pots switch and jack. Never tried those actives so I wont comment on those.

which guitar has actives? and so will I have to replace the pots, switch and the jack?
The Ibanez RGR321EX is right up your street.

The Jackson JS32T is also a very good choice. Possibly an even better choice.

I say go play both and buy the one you like more.

I think the RG's pickups are active and the Jackson's are passive. Quality-wise they're pretty much identical.

I think the way that the Ibanez pickups work is that you can have them running in a passive mode if you wish and the active mode just gives a small gain boost. So my guess is that you probably won't have to replace the potentiometers if you are switching the pickups out. They're not like EMG's were you have them permanently active. EMG's involve using very low value pots as the pickup coils in EMG's are actually very low output, but the signal is significantly boosted by the pre-amp.

I think the Ibanez pickups work much the same way as passives and the active mode just gives a small boost. So you probably won't have to switch pots out. I'd check the Ibanez website first and try to find a detailed spec sheet just in case. 250K and 500K pots are common on passive pickups. Were on actives, 25K is common.

You won't have to replace the selector switch, but may have to switch the jack if you're going from active to passive.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The Ibanez RGR321EX is right up your street.

The Jackson JS32T is also a very good choice. Possibly an even better choice.

I say go play both and buy the one you like more.

I think the RG's pickups are active and the Jackson's are passive. Quality-wise they're pretty much identical.

I think the way that the Ibanez pickups work is that you can have them running in a passive mode if you wish and the active mode just gives a small gain boost. So my guess is that you probably won't have to replace the potentiometers if you are switching the pickups out. They're not like EMG's were you have them permanently active. EMG's involve using very low value pots as the pickup coils in EMG's are actually very low output, but the signal is significantly boosted by the pre-amp.

I think the Ibanez pickups work much the same way as passives and the active mode just gives a small boost. So you probably won't have to switch pots out. I'd check the Ibanez website first and try to find a detailed spec sheet just in case. 250K and 500K pots are common on passive pickups. Were on actives, 25K is common.

You won't have to replace the selector switch, but may have to switch the jack if you're going from active to passive.

Good to know whichever guitar I'm going to get will be nice. Jackson has more features but I'd like to know how the pickups on the jackson sound like
The jackson has the active pickups. If you buy it and switch to passive you need new pots. (500k, 5-15$ each)
The stereo output can easily be used for mono output.
IDK what that guy above is on. Theres actives that sound like passives, but not any that switch to passive as far as I know.

Youre going to have to try each guitar out to know what they sound like, but I'm betting the Inf pickups in the ibanez sound better then the actives in the jackson. I've yet to see a cheap active that sounds even half decent.
Quote by StateFarmsThere
The jackson has the active pickups. If you buy it and switch to passive you need new pots. (500k, 5-15$ each)
The stereo output can easily be used for mono output.
IDK what that guy above is on. Theres actives that sound like passives, but not any that switch to passive as far as I know.

Youre going to have to try each guitar out to know what they sound like, but I'm betting the Inf pickups in the ibanez sound better then the actives in the jackson. I've yet to see a cheap active that sounds even half decent.

Soo true. Only actives I'd use would be the EMG's or Blackout's. Are you sure that the Jackson has actives?
Quote by dragonkidkoga
Soo true. Only actives I'd use would be the EMG's or Blackout's. Are you sure that the Jackson has actives?

Nope. In fact they are passive, they just put active-ish looking pickup covers on them. sorry.
Quote by StateFarmsThere
Nope. In fact they are passive, they just put active-ish looking pickup covers on them. sorry.

Are you sure? sarcasm doesn't translate through the internet
Quote by StateFarmsThere
Ya dude Im serious. I was fooled by the plastic (at least look plastic) pickup covers.

Yea I did my research, it looks like active pickups though but they are passive. hehe I'm definitely getting the Jackson. When I get a better guitar I'm going to scratch off the label and put that pickup cover on the pickups of the better guitar to make everyone think I'm using actives.
Check this out.
Spad - At this price you will be able to put in locking tuners and a new set of pups.
24 frets. Basswood body. Set Neck. String Through Bridge. Generic Pups
http://www.rondomusic.com/spadblack.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/spadnat.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/spadmetallicred.html

Spad PRO
24 Frets. Mahogany Body. Set Neck. String Through Bridge. EMG Passive pickups.
http://www.rondomusic.com/SPADPROtribalred.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/spadpronat.html
Quote by Darkdevil725
Check this out.
Spad - At this price you will be able to put in locking tuners and a new set of pups.
24 frets. Basswood body. Set Neck. String Through Bridge. Generic Pups
http://www.rondomusic.com/spadblack.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/spadnat.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/spadmetallicred.html

Spad PRO
24 Frets. Mahogany Body. Set Neck. String Through Bridge. EMG Passive pickups.
http://www.rondomusic.com/SPADPROtribalred.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/spadpronat.html

I already mentioned those, i think i'll just go with the jackson thx guys

Edit: i took a second look, now i'm not sure,
Last edited by dragonkidkoga at Dec 23, 2011,
Quote by dragonkidkoga
I already mentioned those, i think i'll just go with the jackson thx guys

Edit: i took a second look, now i'm not sure,

I have not played many Jacksons but the few I have played were not bad given they were about 5 years old and heavily abused and retailed new for $200. My friend took the neck off of an old JS1 and put it on a affinity telecaster body, that thing was awesome.
It is my thread, and sorry for the old bump but I decided to bump instead of starting a new thread. Are there any guitars that have the same specs as the Jackson JS32RT Dinky, but have a maple finger/fretboard?

Edit: Maple or Ebony Finger/Fretboard
Last edited by dragonkidkoga at Mar 4, 2012,