I love the way they look, but how do they play?
So tell me what you hate or love about them?
They were ahead of their time. They were built to very high quality standards, had some interesting features and played extremely well. It is a crying shame that Peavey has never seen fit to reissue the T-40 bass and the T-60 guitars in their original forms. If you can find one in good shape at a reasonable price (and they're out there), grab it!

I'd love to have a black or a maroon T-40.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
great bass or so I've heard. There is one in a pawn shop near me and I always see it and get excited, then the price, then I look and remember that it had it's frets removed rather crappily.

Big thick bass, handles anything, but doom and rockers love them as long as they can look past the brand snobbery.
They're overrated.

I've owned 2.

Now, they ARE great, solid basses. They have plenty of tonal possibilities. and they look sweet. But, they're heavy, don't have many USABLE tones, and the price bubble for them has gotten out of hand.

I love Peavey's 80s MiA offerings... but aside from the aesthetic factor, there are PLENTY of other ones i would pick above a T-40.

Their parts are a pain to replace if they break... shoot i've seen just the old-school chrome Peavey knobs go for $30... EACH!

I would ONLY suggest getting one if you can tolerate a very heavy bass, and don't expect a traditional P or J tone... i likened my T-40's tone to somewhere between a T-bird (not as muddy) and a Ric (not as bright). A good EQ on your amp or pedal will go a long way with a T-40.

So are they worth buying and playing? Yes. But, for the usual ~$400 i see them go for, i would pick others... if i wanted a Good US Peavey with 2 pickups, i'd get a Dyna-Bass (active/passive... think a G&L L-2000, but way cheaper), Rudy Sarzo Signature (A boutique level Dyna-Bass), or a Foundation (solid solid solid passive basses)... if i wanted a T-series, i would get a T-45 (just like a t-40, but with a single toaster pickup in the P position... but with a contour knob along with the Vol/Tone... think, a super versatile P bass, and just as usable).
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I think they look and sound awesome but they've gone the way of Japanese Squiers. The price of them is going up for no good reason. (Thank you, Basschat and Talkbass.)

I'd pay £250 for a T40, I've seen people pay £500.
Almost bought one. They are built like tanks and are about as heavy. Nice tone and double as as a weapon if you are attacked on stage.
Here's me with mine

Unititled:
http://soundcloud.com/the-sun-has-a-face/untitled/s-uUsFg
I've had mine for about 2 years now,and I really like it.It cost me $300 AUD,and another $150 to ship it to australia.Still cheaper than a squier here.
They really can growl like nothing else,especially the neck humbucker.I use it through thick distortion into a tube amp,and I've yet to find anything that sounds quite like it.There is a decent amount of variation between the two pick-ups,but there are more versatile basses out there.
The sheer weight of it is really what gives it such a huge sound.Everything on it is physically big and heavy.The bridge,the pick-ups,the tuners,the body,so a big heavy sound is what results.Whoever said it can't do doom really hasn't played one properly.Now if you can stand the weight,it's worth it,but it can become a real strain sometimes.
I have a pretty intense stage presence,and so when you get to like the 3rd 1 hour set in a weekend,it's a bitch.
The neck isn't suited to all,and you really have to dig at the instrument a lot to get a good sound out of it.
As for reliability,my bass T-40 takes a solid beating every time I play it,particularly the end of the fretboard where I pick,and it just won't die.My input jack was a little dodgy,wasn't a hard fix.This is the kind of instrument that could be soaked in beer,hurled across a stage,and still be in tune and sounding exactly the same.
It was cheaper than an ATK,and a fraction of the price of a rickenbacker,but worth its ridiculous weight in gold.
What kind of stuff are you playing?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I play like a heavy experimental indie.
I really love noisy gain bass tones.
Always loved t-60s and now I have pretty much switched to playing bass,
so I'd love to own a T-40.
I love the dudes bass tones from the band Cursive and I saw hime play T-40's so I got even more interested.
Quote by Din of Win
They're overrated.

I've owned 2.

Now, they ARE great, solid basses. They have plenty of tonal possibilities. and they look sweet. But, they're heavy, don't have many USABLE tones, and the price bubble for them has gotten out of hand.

I wouldn't call them overrated, just overpriced. At the same time maybe that's a good thing cause I'm sitting on a lot of old Peavey gear . Peavey has been a very cheap way to get nice solid gear vintage or not for cheap. Forums of course talk about buying used best bang for your buck, then everyone finds that old T-40 in their local pawnshop and they slowly rise.

As din, Ian, and a youtube video mention, they can get a close Rick tone, which could probably be achieved dead on with some wiring changes. They are heavy, clunky and chunky beasts I'd never pay over $250 for one, cause I don't want one but if I did I'd still be very hesitant to pay over $350.
Quote by sking11791
I play like a heavy experimental indie.
I really love noisy gain bass tones.
Always loved t-60s and now I have pretty much switched to playing bass,
so I'd love to own a T-40.
I love the dudes bass tones from the band Cursive and I saw hime play T-40's so I got even more interested.

T-60's are amazing!

On the guitar side, as i'm a shortscale fan.. i own a T-15. But i do love the T-60s.

The bassist of Tera Melos is probably one of the more well known T-40 players i can think of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v-y45F-po&feature=relmfu

I saw Cursive back in '02ish... their bassist was playing a Mustang then. Man... Domestica and the Burst In Bloom EP are so good.

...ya know that was a raaaaaad show in general... Cursive, Cave In, Converge, The Faint, and American Nightmare.

/nostalgiaing
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Last edited by Din of Win at Dec 23, 2011,
Quote by Din of Win
T-60's are amazing!

On the guitar side, as i'm a shortscale fan.. i own a T-15. But i do love the T-60s.

I just flipped a T-60 red and maple, I almost got a free t-15 once, but the guy skipped payments to his dealer, and well it got taken...
Nathan from Tera Melos wasnt playing with his t-40 when I saw them!! They were immense tho, first ever uk tour this year, supported by Shapes who were also sick,and Tera Melos came on to Tim and Eric songs...I got jumped at a cashpoint for £100 that day but chattin gear and stuff with Nathan after the gig when he was runnin the merch stool was really cool, he signed my ticket too!! Awesome guys...

To keep this post vaguley related, listened to that soundcloud link, niiiiice tone, sadly, with my back, it'll never be a bass for me
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"