C1 is tube, VR is Hybrid, which means it uses one tube to make it sound more tube-y, but it is still essentially Solid state. To the more discerning ear, the C1 will probably sound better, but the VR is cheaper
I have an AC15C1 and it's a great amp for the price, probably the best at its price point on the market (Jet City fans might beg to differ, but anyway....). You can get a real nice hard rock tone (not gainey metal, though) out of the C1 while you can't out of the VR. You can get kind of a fakey gainey tone from the VR and it has some nice cleans, but the C1 eats its lunch overall.
Quote by CrawlingHorror
I have an AC15C1 and it's a great amp for the price, probably the best at its price point on the market (Jet City fans might beg to differ, but anyway....). You can get a real nice hard rock tone (not gainey metal, though) out of the C1 while you can't out of the VR. You can get kind of a fakey gainey tone from the VR and it has some nice cleans, but the C1 eats its lunch overall.

+1 I listened to my friend's new AC15C1 and it shook me to the core
You never know what temporal days may bring, laugh, love,live free and sing, when life is in discord, praise ye the Lord-Anberlin

Science is crazy!
The AC15C1 is an actual AC15 tube amp, the VR is a simulation of one plus a few other things.
The AC15C1 is a real amp, the VR is a toy. You'd use a VR practising at home, you could take the AC15C1 to a gig and hold your head up high.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
IIRC the difference in price between the two isn't very much... like $100 or something? Spend the extra cash and get the C1. It's a really nice amp. Some day I'm gonna pull the trigger and buy one if I find one used for the right price.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
The VR is a solid-state take on the AC series. The CC series is a real AC15 (valve preamp and power section), although made to a fairly tight budget with a few concessions made.

I'd probably be looking at the Bugera BC-30 or Laney VC-15 instead.
Quote by kyle62
The VR is a solid-state take on the AC series. The CC series is a real AC15 (valve preamp and power section), although made to a fairly tight budget with a few concessions made.

I'd probably be looking at the Bugera BC-30 or Laney VC-15 instead.

Indeed, the CC series is not the best. But the newer "custom series" (model name for example is C1 instead of CC1) definitely is far superior to the old CC's, at the same price. Better cabinet, better speaker (Celestion Greenback instead of Wharfdale), and I think the old one didn't have two channel modes either like the C1 does.
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
A friend has an AC15VR and I have an AC15C1. After doing a comparison between the two, I will try to be fair. The VR model is light and very affordable. The clean tones are nice and warm with a chime and can be pushed to get some jangly breakup. Pedals sound decent into the clean sound. It's very light and surprisingly loud for being a 15 watt solid state amp and can play small venues or medium sized if mic'd up. It's also pretty affordable. The cons of course are more solid state related in that it sounds less impressive when pushed too far on the volume. The overdrive channel is a harsh and buzzy distortion that doesn't have much in the way of tube warmth, although you could play some cheesy heavy rock with it.

The C1 model is a tube amp ( tube power and pre sections) and it knows it. It sounds similar to the VR, but doesn't have the more artificial qualities to the breakup. It's warmer the louder you go on the master volume. There is no distortion or overdrive channel to speak of, but you get natural overdrive from turning whichever channel you're plugged into up. You can get a nice rock crunch from cranking it up, but it sounds great clean as well. It also takes pedal well into it's clean sound, but you might want to clip the bright caps on the top boost channel to get rid of some of the overbearingly bright artifacts (nice for clean and low gain sounds...not good for dirt boxes). The normal channel can be tweaked decently without any mods though.

Overall verdict. It's been said before. I would practice with the VR, but I'd do that and everything else with the C1.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5