im thinking about getting one for around $200 or even 250 (Digitecch rp500) but my one question is, is it not a good idea to plug it straight into PA system? and $250 might be pushing it. i would use it for a live gigs.
Straight into the PA saves a lot of time and effort, but as it stands(Typically, you may be a master tweaker) MultiFX pedals aren't the best, but there are a few pros that usem! Line 6 may be a bit better than Digitech
You never know what temporal days may bring, laugh, love,live free and sing, when life is in discord, praise ye the Lord-Anberlin

Science is crazy!
I have a digitech pedal and love it. It takes a little time to set up though. Considering how many effects it has. But if you take the time, and set it up to how you like (I generally have a clean channel either side of an effects one), then they're great for the money.

Edit: Only problem being most of them are plastic.
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.
Latest additions: epiphone ej-200, boss me-20

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Am I old enough to wear this fist in school?
I agree! I was considering that before I got my POD XT Live(Pretty baller) I'm just really impatient and STILL have to tweak it to sound good+I want a better amp
You never know what temporal days may bring, laugh, love,live free and sing, when life is in discord, praise ye the Lord-Anberlin

Science is crazy!
yeah I got mine for christmas a few years back and spent like, 6 hours setting it up to get what I wanted from it. But it was REALLY worth it. Wah, chorus, flange, delay, loads of different amp stacks, tube and SS, its own EQ for each channel. Acoustic simulators (though somewhat....lacking as they are). You name it, odds on a digitech pedal SOMEWHERE has it.
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Line 6 is really good, I have the pocket pod and even that has a special settin for direct to PA, but for gigging you'd probably want something that would allow you to change the settings easier like the XT live.
That is one problem with a digitech pedal. Depending on which one you get, the up and down pedals are small and close together, gotta be careful you dont hit the wrong one
Oasis nut

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Quote by Leather Sleeves
Line 6 is really good, I have the pocket pod and even that has a special settin for direct to PA, but for gigging you'd probably want something that would allow you to change the settings easier like the XT live.

I play a lot in my church and my POD is a lifesaver, tone is so subjective, so you might have to try a multifx unit or 2 out.

Science is crazy!
Don't get a digitech. If anything, get something along the lines of a Line 6 POD HD.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
I have the RP500. I've played it at bar gigs many a time. It makes setup and travel a breeze. It sounds awesome. My last gig I ran a line out from the RP500 to the mixer, and ran a second line out to a head unit/4x12 that I sat between drummer and me. That way I could use it as a monitor for the both of us while keeping the monitor mix very heavy with vocals.

It even sounded plenty awesome with a Soldano amp emulated on a high gain setting, a little bit of 'verb, and going into a clean channel of a 75w Spider II head/Crate 4x12.

When we play a bar gig, I usually just run it straight into the PA and let the sound guy balance things out between main & monitor. With small stages, keeping a big amp setup off the stage allows for more freedom of movement.

I've been playing mine since it pretty much first came out a few years ago, and I got it for around $250 (Amazon?). I am not disappointed in the least. It also allowed me to experiment with many amps/effects without blowing a wad on many individual amps/pedals. And through headphones, it also sounds great.

If you are going to go Digitech, go with the RP500 or 1000.

I thought tone tweakage was very simple with the 500. IMO, it was more simple and intuitive than a Boss or POD.