I am pretty upset right now b/c I realized today how horrible my legato is, for instance:
If I were to alt pick through the following D Maj/b min 3 N.P.S as sextuplets, there is no problem, but When I try to only pick the first note of each string, It makes my hands tense/hurt and my ears hurt with how bad it sounds. (I have similar legato woes w/ the six other 3-N.P.S. scale shapes) WTF Is wrong with me? I really am trying my hardest to improve myself in this area and have been woodsheding the hell out of myself...(10-ish hours/day) I wouldn't be on here bitching if I hadn't already been putting in the time to analyze/try to iron this stuff out on my own first. Without the steady alternate picking of my right hand, everything falls apart. On a scale of 1-to-10, I would say that this is upsetting me @ around an 8.

e|-------------------------------------------7h9h10-10p9p7-----------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------7h8h10--------------------10p8p7--------------------------------|
G|-------------------------6h7h9---------------------------------------9p7p6-----------------------o|
D|-----------------5h7h9-------------------------------------------------------9p7p5---------------o|
A|---------5h7h9----------------------------------------------------------------------9p7p5---------|
E|-5h7h9--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------9p7p5-|

ugh....
slow down your right hand and work on sweep picking, you just need the same level of precision hitting everything in one smooth motion as hitting in alternate.
Try it strictly legato, then add the picking.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 22, 2011,
If you're legato is suffering, forget that shape altogether. Start with isolating every pair of fingers.

The non-musical approach, which isn't recommended by the majority, is to assign the one-finger-per-fret position and run through all 24 permutations. Picking only the first note.
Quote by mdc
If you're legato is suffering, forget that shape altogether. Start with isolating every pair of fingers.

The non-musical approach, which isn't recommended by the majority, is to assign the one-finger-per-fret position and run through all 24 permutations. Picking only the first note.

+1
That approach is actually insanely effective, KMFDM.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.