KK guys, basically im working with a solid body strat shape body and I was originally only going to leave it bare wood but oil it. im going to have to buy some vintage amber stain to match the satin on the headstock and I need to know if I could use the same stain on the bare mahogany without a clear coat? The reason is that i picked up some of the timbermate "Mahogany" (looks like a cheap chocolate!) and i dont want to grain fill with it because of the ugly color. Im assuming that I cant apply a shellac finish to "un-filled" mahogany? would my plan of just applying a stain and then leaving it bare work?
Quote by zubin.isaac
sorry for adding on instead of editing, but couldnt i just apply the oil over the stained mahogany?

You can do this, but go easy with the first coat of oil as it can start lifting the stain
Quote by KempGuitars
You can do this, but go easy with the first coat of oil as it can start lifting the stain

+1

Plenty of people stain and then use an oil finish afterwards.
You can put a shellac finish over unfilled grain, the tiny particles of shellac that get "buffed" out build up inside the pores and over a few times will start to build a level surface.

I don't think it looks as 'slick' or streamlined as filled grain, but it doesn't look bad at all either.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Dec 23, 2011,