I've been playing guitar for around a year and a half, but mostly acoustic things. I want to start playing some metal but I have no idea where to begin. Any recommendations on good bands/songs to start with?

Thanks
What kind of metal you you want? What do you listen to? It's a very broad term that means different things to different people; some think of ACDC and others think if Arch Enemy, you know. But here's two things just off a whim.

Avenged Sevenfold - Unholy Confessions
Not exactly metal-metal, but it's kinda close. It helped me to play more advanced stuff (especially the main riff)

At The Gates - Blinded By Fear
I just learned this one. The only thing about it for me is getting it nice and clean at the speed it's at. Otherwise I don't think it's particularly difficult

EDITZ: forget to include this. If you have really been playing acoustic stuff, can I go on the assumption that your palmmuting, tremolo picking and what not needs some development. Where do you stand technically?
Last edited by UnmagicMushroom at Dec 22, 2011,
first song i learned was paschendale.
ensiferum, or old underoath stuff is easy and sounds awesome too. that's just the stuff i love to play, hope it helps.
Last edited by rjaylaf at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by Kortez3000
nickleback

Really ?

Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden

Thats all you need really
sabbath riffs, dead easy, sound great
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by mrbabo91

Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden

Thats all you need really

no...

Judas Priest
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden

That's all you need
[
Thanks for the suggestions.... As far as what I listen too, it really encompasses everything from stuff like ABR, A7X to older stuff like Maiden, AC/DC, Crue. Palmmuting would definitely be somewhat of a problem. I've played bass for four years and muting there is somewhat of a habit (probably some technical differences here though). I've done a bit of tremolo picking because I think it sounds amazing, but yeah that would need work. Acoustically I play John Mayer (stop this train, why georgia) Jack Johnson (Taylor) and can play an Andy McKee song (All Laid Back and Stuff). Electrically I can play Another Kind of Green by JM... Just a ballpark of where I am skill-wise (probably doesn't matter but I decided to say it anyways)

Nickelback's stuff is really quite easy, and I wouldn't consider them metal really...

I'll look into Sabbath, seems recommended a lot. Tried some Maiden, was difficult but I could work towards it. I love Underoath so I'll look into that older stuff
Try the Maiden song when the wild wind blows, its 11 minutes long but it's pretty easy.
Underoath
Tool (part of me,,schism, eulogy, jerk off)
Deftones (songs that don't require 7/8 string)

Sabbath is probably the best suggestion riffs are great and not hard at all

Even the heavier Nirvana songs (kurt always uses simple chords and progressions)
(Yes i know nirvanas not metal but it helped me with chords)
Start with some AC/DC stuff - it's all pretty straightforward
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Metallica, man. Learn the intro to Master of Puppets, take it slow, and then learn whatever you need to from there. Palm mute and use only downstrokes, and when you can play it to speed like that, you'll probably be ready to tackle a lot that you couldn't before.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
sabbath riffs, dead easy, sound great

It's great starting off with sabbath, stuff like paranoid, and iron man.
Then you can do the old faithful Metallica classics like " for whole the bell tolls" and " enter sandman". And a lot of danzig stuff is SO easy and sounds so creepy and metal. Like mother,three power chords and your golden. Also twist of Cain, godless. Dirty black summer.
And then, after awhile you can kick into some harder Metallica stuff like master of puppets and battery...
You'll be good to go and well on your way to melting faces!!
Quote by Skuzzmo
no...

Judas Priest
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden

That's all you need

I second this.

Priest have got some great (and relatively easy) riffs and most of them sound pretty kickass in Acoustic; check youtube for more info.
Alternately, ignore "easy" songs for now and start learning something more challenging, like Master of Puppets or The Trooper. That way, you really have to improve your technique a lot just to keep up.
I found that Megadeth actually pushed my playing to a whole new level. I'd recommend starting out with something fairly easy by them, like Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? and working up. The skill Dave and co. plays with is incredibly underrated, and if you start picking up some of their stuff, you'll find yourself pushed consistently. They have songs okay for a beginning metal level, and then they've got technical masterpieces like Poison Was the Cure. I'm working on Liar right now - great tune.
Quote by rocklee1431
Wow, these all suck. Except for the Moth Whisperer over there.

Quote by VanTheKraut
If you voted anything other this, you're wrong and a queer and I personally challenge every last one of you to pistols at dawn.
ABR is pretty fun to play, but kinda challenging if you don't use palm muting. Same goes for A7X, but then, it might help you get a hold of it by playing slow and steady!

You can try Mariana's trench, the intro is the same "patern" as arpegiated picking, and the feeling of this track is amazing IMHO!

BTW, it's drop C, so it will sound "weird" on standard / Drop D

The Beast and the Harlot is pretty fun to play also, much Palm Muting and a little sweeping in the chorus, both concepts are pretty good to train! And this song is in Drop D, less of a pain to setup from standard

as for the rest, it has already been said, Black Sabbat, Old metallica, old GnR stuff, Megadeath, that's what got me playing!
What you really need to do is learn songs that you think are just out of your grasp. If you learn a song really fast no problem then stop spending time on it. Move onto something tougher. You can't get better without challenging yourself and expanding your comfort zone. And in order to expand it you gotta get outside of it.

Think of it as a video game that awards experience. It will take much more time for you to get better (level up) while killing super easy monsters that only award a tiny bit of experience. But if you tackle monsters slightly above your skill level you net more experience for your time spent.

That said, I still say learn Sabbath and Judas Priest songs. You will notice and hear their influence in the majority of metal songs made since them. So it gives you a head start on figuring things out.

Also you should practice. Do drills. Run up and down the fret board on every string/fret with every finger before you start playing. Play with a click track or a drum beat or something to keep your tempo steady. Especially if you are going to jump into fast alternate picking. That type of playing has to be consistent.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Dec 22, 2011,
Thanks guys! This will really help. As for starting with things out of my grasp, I usually do that. Seems as though I should start with Sabbath and Priest (thanks BlackVoid for the EXCELLENT explanation about influence and the video game analogy was great).
Quote by BlackVoid
What you really need to do is learn songs that you think are just out of your grasp. If you learn a song really fast no problem then stop spending time on it. Move onto something tougher. You can't get better without challenging yourself and expanding your comfort zone. And in order to expand it you gotta get outside of it.

Think of it as a video game that awards experience. It will take much more time for you to get better (level up) while killing super easy monsters that only award a tiny bit of experience. But if you tackle monsters slightly above your skill level you net more experience for your time spent.

That said, I still say learn Sabbath and Judas Priest songs. You will notice and hear their influence in the majority of metal songs made since them. So it gives you a head start on figuring things out.

Also you should practice. Do drills. Run up and down the fret board on every string/fret with every finger before you start playing. Play with a click track or a drum beat or something to keep your tempo steady. Especially if you are going to jump into fast alternate picking. That type of playing has to be consistent.

Sorry, but the video game analogy is utter crap - in fact that's the complete opposite of how it works.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Sorry, but the video game analogy is utter crap - in fact that's the complete opposite of how it works.

I don't know, I could see that going both ways. Paul Gilbert has said that the best way to get better is to play the things you know over and over, and other things will come easier. Meanwhile, Shawn Lane suggests overspeed training every once in a while (not all the time, obviously), playing faster than you can, then gradually slowing down to the correct speed. I think he had a good analogy, it's good to beat up them little guys, but you should go for the tough dudes sometimes to get a good taste of what's to come.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by Calymos
Metallica, man. Learn the intro to Master of Puppets, take it slow, and then learn whatever you need to from there. Palm mute and use only downstrokes, and when you can play it to speed like that, you'll probably be ready to tackle a lot that you couldn't before.
Yeah right Metallica is absolutely the way to go
Quote by mh1986
Any answer that doesn't include Black Sabbath is wrong.

This

nickleback

Never heard of 'em. I sure hope you didn't mean nickelback. That wouldn't be very metal, would it.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
First, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest. That'll get you started with alternate picking, power chords, palm muting etc, all the essentials.
Then, In Flames, Death, Mastodon and many, many other bands. Just get the riffs down first and work on the solos later. These bands are good for alternate picking, downpicking, string skipping and their solos are doable ( I'd go for Only for the Weak by In Flames first ).
If you got all that down, and you still feel like you want to play more difficult metal, go for Opeth, Periphery, Obscura and Cynic!
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
some neo-classicism is never a bad thing either, some good neo-classical is pretty brutal and some of it takes some skill
Quote by Viban
some neo-classicism is never a bad thing either, some good neo-classical is pretty brutal and some of it takes some skill

Sounds interesting, what do you recommend?
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
Quote by Viban
well Yngwie Malmsteen plays some neo-classical but I just figured I'd show you the destination and let you carve your own path.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWVyO4gSq24&feature=BFa&list=PLC4B2C2F43B6B7D59&lf=mh_lolz, here is a good example of some neo-classical sweeps

Ha, I remember watching that some 3 years ago and learning that part at 1.15 ^^ fun lick. Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OznLG2N3nfQ pretty good stuff there too IMO. Pretty cool hybrid picking lick in there somewhere.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
I would like to learn that actually, its a shame I don't know the name of any classical songs aside from fur elise
Quote by Viban
well Yngwie Malmsteen plays some neo-classical but I just figured I'd show you the destination and let you carve your own path.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWVyO4gSq24&feature=BFa&list=PLC4B2C2F43B6B7D59&lf=mh_lolz, here is a good example of some neo-classical sweeps

Robert Marcello as well. Old School is a great song, lots of good sweeps, nothing TOO hard until the solos, but there's lots of movement involved when playing it.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10