I have this message popping up about halfway through a song I've made. It says something that I don't have enough CPU Power so I have to turn off elastic audio etc. Really I know my processor shouldn't be able to handle the program, since it's a single core and it requires multi-core.

The weird thing is that the error comes while there's only 1 track playing with a heavy reverb. Fine with that, but if it can't handle that single track alone, how can I still play the parts where EVERY channel is playing?

Just curious why it's like that, I know I'll eventually have to change processor and I'm planning to do so as fast as possible.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Oh, forgot to mention I'm running Pro-Tools 8 SE on a Windows XP.
Quote by Anthropocentric

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I'm guessing because a lot of reverb is more sytem intensive than 8 tracks (It might be the way it produces the reverb). Effects can be amazingly CPU intensive, depending on how it's coded, just like any other higher-tier (or poorly optimized) VST.

Definately upgrade if you can- I don't think they even make single cores now They're dirt cheap as well for older systems.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
But the channel with the reverb is also active when all of the channels are active... And at that point there are 2 reverbs active as well...
Quote by Anthropocentric

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

To a certain extentent, track count has minimal effect on CPU and RAM usage as its streaming straight from the hard drive. But if you're running an under powered machine, you need to increase the latency. Further, if you're running a slower hard drive (typically 5400rpm) you'll need to increase the playback buffer (I don't know what this is called in PT, I use Sonar 8.5PE) which will help increase this.
Also, rendering effects to tracks (known as 'freezing' in Sonar) will clear the RAM up a fair bit.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Quote by henrihell
Oh, forgot to mention I'm running Pro-Tools 8 SE

Theres your problem. Unless you've got PT|HD 8, its going sound like shit. Essentially, PT8 SE is a demo at best. Very limited, not fully functioning and just ehh. I'd imagine if you upgraded to PT10, everything would work fine. But then you'd have to upgrade to Win 7 :p
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp