I've recently started using the temolo on my Hot Rod 62 strat and I think something isn't right. The trem will barely give at all, only a little bit. It feels like it is very stiff and posing a lot of resistance. I haven't messed with the trem at all since I got the guitar. I'm not pressing down hard because I feel like I shouldn't have to, and I don't want to damage it. I've used other vintage style Fender trems and I remember them having plenty of give and almost effortless action, I could dive bomb them. Any ideas as to what's causing this? Thanks!
I'll start replying with stupid questions.

Do you have the backplate off? If so is there a woodblock blocking the tremolo? Alot of people don't use the tremolo and block it to improve tone and tuning stability.

Change the tension by loosening the two screws holding the claw or remove springs?

I'm not very familiar with tremolo's so be easy on me
No, it's not blocked. And that's ok, I'm not much of a trem guy myself. I've only used them a few times and certainly haven't adjusted any.
Also, it's set up with the standard three springs. I don't know how loose they're supposed to be, but they have a bit of give when I press down on them with my finger.
If it's the vintage style, there should be 6 screws at the front of the tremelo base plate... make sure that there's a little give there.. they shouldn't be completely torqued down.. thats the hinge point..

Also here's a pretty cool video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Oyc6slYRc&feature=fvwrel
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Dec 22, 2011,
Thanks. I'll check those. Something else I just noticed, the wham bar doesn't seem to screw in straight. It seems to be resting at an odd angle. It won't screw in any other way though.
Quote by silverheart
Thanks. I'll check those. Something else I just noticed, the wham bar doesn't seem to screw in straight. It seems to be resting at an odd angle. It won't screw in any other way though.

I'd have to see it to really know what's going on... If it's threading in easy though, it shouldnt' be a problem... If it's cross threaded however, it could be a problem.. I use some Plumbers Teflon thread tape on mine.. keeps it moving easily and takes up any slack so it doesn't jiggle or vibrate..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Another thought that I've had. Could it be possible that the springs are stiff from not being stretched enough? Like I had said, I've never used the trem until yesterday.
Quote by silverheart
Another thought that I've had. Could it be possible that the springs are stiff from not being stretched enough? Like I had said, I've never used the trem until yesterday.

No.. thats not the problem.. somethings binding it up... probably those 6 screws at the front... with the bridge pulled back all the way so the base plate is flat against the guitar body, those screws should be snug... Not over tight...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Could you post a picture of the back trem cavity and the trem itself, might spot something on those
Try loosening the 6 screws on the baseplate a little and see if that helps. Did you buy the guitar new or used?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I will go ahead and try that. Will it mess with the bridge action any as far as the strings go? The action is perfect right now. I bought it slightly used.
It shouldn't affect it, the action is adjusted for each individual string on a vintage 6-point bridge. Those 2 little screws on each saddle adjust the action.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
So I went ahead and loosened the screws at the front of the base plate and raised them 1.6mm, and they were tight to start with. It helped slightly, but it still doesn't pivot as much as it should. I raised them a bit more and it really didn't make a noticeable difference. The bridge was tilting up so I lowered the screws back down to 1.6mm off the base plate and made the two outside screws flush, but not tight, against the base plate. I guess I'll have to take it into the shop and have someone look at it.