I own a Fender Stratocaster Ultra (made in USA)
Due to the fact that I enjoy heavy metal, trash and hard rock, I decided to change the setup of my original electric guitar. It used to have an original gold lace sensor, blue lace sensor and a red humbucker pickup.

Then I decided to change the entire pickup structure wishing to get a closer Metallica tone, the new setup is as follows: Seymour Duncan Dimebucker, Seymour Duncan Cool Rails and Little 59 pickup.

I currently use a Marshall GR 80 CD amp but I will soon change it since I believe the amp is a piece of s..

Anyway I still cant get the tone I wished for. Is it because of the amp I use or should I re change the pickup structure. If so could you please share w/ me your opinions/ advices how I should go with the setup.

Thank you very much for your time.

Atakan
If you want a *good* heavy metal sound, then stay away from the Fenders. You can achieve it with a Fender but it will be a lot more effort and money spent when you can just get a more metal oriented guitar from Jackson, Dean, or even Gibson.
thanx for your prompt reply.
However lets say that for the tıme being I need to get the most I can from this guitar
how do u think I should proceed?
Quote by CronoMagus
If you want a *good* heavy metal sound, then stay away from the Fenders. You can achieve it with a Fender but it will be a lot more effort and money spent when you can just get a more metal oriented guitar from Jackson, Dean, or even Gibson.

No.

If you MUST relate it to gear at all, it's going to be your amp. You most likely can't get the gain level you want.

Fenders aren't known for metal, true.. Doesn't mean they can't be used.

Yngwie Malmsteen anyone? Just to name one of many.

Hell, you can djent a Strat in standard tuning if you know what you're doing..

What I'm trying to say is, just like any style, it's all about the techniques.

Yea, you probably need a bit more gain to get the satisfying thick sound but that's something you can easily take care of down the road.

Practice with your crappy tone, it's going to make you better, seriously. If you can make crap sound good, how good is it going to sound when you actually have suitable gear?

Think about it. Save up and make an investment in a year or 2 for some really good gear, you'll thank yourself rather than jumping the gun and getting something that, in a year or 2, might not be your taste.

As for some tone settings, Tallica is known for scooping their mids (basically all the way down) and varying balances of bass and treble depending on how your amp EQ's. There is an entire tone settings thread here on UG that is loaded with Metallica settings. Search for it! Ultimate settings thread or something

Last edited by Zeppelin Addict at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
No.

If you MUST relate it to gear at all, it's going to be your amp. You most likely can't get the gain level you want.

Fenders aren't known for metal, true.. Doesn't mean they can't be used.

Yngwie Malmsteen anyone? Just to name one of many.

Hell, you can djent a Strat in standard tuning if you know what you're doing..

What I'm trying to say is, just like any style, it's all about the techniques.

Yea, you probably need a bit more gain to get the satisfying thick sound but that's something you can easily take care of down the road.

Practice with your crappy tone, it's going to make you better, seriously. If you can make crap sound good, how good is it going to sound when you actually have suitable gear?

Think about it. Save up and make an investment in a year or 2 for some really good gear, you'll thank yourself rather than jumping the gun and getting something that, in a year or 2, might not be your taste.

As for some tone settings, Tallica is known for scooping their mids (basically all the way down) and varying balances of bass and treble depending on how your amp EQ's. There is an entire tone settings thread here on UG that is loaded with Metallica settings. Search for it! Ultimate settings thread or something

Iron maiden uses fenders too
So basicly do think that I should stick with the new Seymour Duncan pickups and change the amp immediately w/ a tube amp lets say for exampla Mesa Mini Rectifier?

By te way I ll change the amp for sure but what about the current pickup structure do you think that THese Dimebucker , coolrail and little 59 pickups stay or should I get rid of some of them and change with new pickups too?
Quote by PUNKSTER93
Iron maiden uses fenders too

+1

And here's the link to the ultimate settings thread!

Clicky

Quote by CronoMagus
You can achieve it with a Fender but it will be a lot more effort and money spent when you can just get a more metal oriented guitar from Jackson, Dean, or even Gibson.

So to save himself effort and money.. He should buy a new guitar?
Last edited by Zeppelin Addict at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by atakan1453
So basicly do think that I should stick with the new Seymour Duncan pickups and change the amp immediately w/ a tube amp lets say for exampla Mesa Mini Rectifier?

By te way I ll change the amp for sure but what about the current pickup structure do you think that THese Dimebucker , coolrail and little 59 pickups stay or should I get rid of some of them and change with new pickups too?

Sorry for the double, you ninja'd me.

Dunc's sound pretty ballsy, I've got a JB and a Jazz in my Jackson right now and I personally really like them. Your current pickup setup would definitely be usable though, especially through a mini Rec. Can't go wrong with a Mesa \m/

I wouldn't worry about switching pups again, at least for now.. Stick with your trifecta and I bet you'll be super pleased with a more high-gain amp such as a mini Rec. It'll mean more cash in your pocket to!

Quote by CronoMagus
If you want a *good* heavy metal sound, then stay away from the Fenders.

Seriously, this is such bullcrap. I Just don't get why people keep saying stuff like this; A Fender Strat with H/S/S pup setup is capable of whatever any other alder-bodied, maple-necked guitar with H/S/S is. Thing is, most times Fenders have an S/S/S configuration, so yeah... but it just pisses me off how people lable guitars based mostly on what it says on the headstock.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
It depends on how heavy you want the sound, Jim Root form Slipknot uses a telecaster with EMGs. Personally I don't like EMGs but they definitely have a heavy tone. Try the new amp first and if you're still not satisfied, get some pick-ups. Bare Knuckle do some very good ones and they sell sets for H/S/S strats
There's a million different ways to achieve a heavy tone and most have been touched on here, from technique to your amp. My main guitar is an American Stratocaster Deluxe HSS with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and i get a pretty heavy tone out of it without "metal gear". A few tips would be to try throwing a Tube Screamer or other distortion pedal in front of your amp with the distortion control down low. It won't add very much gain to your tone, but it will tighten it up and make that low string chugging more articulate. Your pick of choice and how your using it can also have a big impact. I personally use Dunlop Jazz IIIs (red ones) because they're fairly thick and have a precise tip which alters how your pick attack sounds. When I do heavy down picking i slightly angle the pick (so its not quite perpendicular to the strings) and really dig into the strings. I've heard both James Hetfield and Devin Townsend use technique like this when playing heavy riffs.

Overall I'd get a new amp first and then if you aren't happy with the pickups through that think about swapping them again. Some of the things i mentioned above will be cheaper and easier changes if you want to experiment without spending a lot. And remember that although older Metallica was all about the scooped mids, newer Metallica and most other modern metal tones have a lot more mids in them.
Gear:
Fender Deluxe American Strat HSS
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Fender Acoustic

Marshall DSL100 Head
Marshall 1960B Cab
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
Vox AC4TV Combo
Quote by CronoMagus

nah

with a humbucker in the bridge position a fender strat is basically a jackson

heck i'd rather use a strat with a humbucker for metal than most gibsons- longer scale length = tighter tone generally.

while the dimebucker is pretty meh, it should be capable of a metal tone with an appropriate amp.

amp's the problem, yeah. i know that's not what you want to hear, but that's the crux of it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Easy guys. I was mainly referring to Fenders with S/S/S setup so I should have specified.
Karl from Nile ( a death metal band) recorded much of their early stuff with a strat, so it can be done
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
Your amp is your main problem, then your pickup selection.

Dimebucker is terrible. the Little 59 is good but not really suitable for metal. Cool Rails is fine. If you really want the Metallica tone with minimal effort, try a Dimarzio D Activator. Terrible cleans but they are as close to Metallica-style distorted tone as you can get without putting an EMG 81 in there. I'd then set up the other two pickups so you have the Cool Rails in the middle and I'd stick a Hot Rails in the neck for balls-to-the-wall metal tones or a second Cool Rails. Other good bridge pickups to try would be a SD Custom and DM Super Distortion, both are good all-round hot ceramic pickups.

But a new amp should be your priority.
Quote by CronoMagus
Easy guys. I was mainly referring to Fenders with S/S/S setup so I should have specified.

yeah, probably. i mean ts mentioned he already had humbuckers in there, so we were probably going to assume you meant any fenders.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it's the amp. you should have stuck with the LS pups that were in it to begin with. the red does a good metallica with the right amp. hope you kept the original pups as the ones in it now will kill the resale value. a metal orientated amp will do the trick though (or at least a tube amp with decent gain and an overdrive).