Hey there folks. I have not set/ cleaned up mine and my loved one's guitars and in a dogs age, nor have I ever used any products for cleaning the neck of a guitar... I have heard of oil or something like that, but I figured I would go ahead and get some info before I buy. Necks consists of rosewood and maple necks, some acoustic, some electric. Anyone have advice?
"Prepare to eat crap of the highest calibur!" Brilliant words of a brilliant man.

"when TransAms ruled the highways and mustaches carried magic. "
Lemon oil for fretboards. Unfinished only, though. eg. rosewood and ebony. Don't use it on maple fretboards.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
I really like these Musicman wipes I bought. Wonder wipes? They work great, and last ages.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Good to know. Is there a product for specific to maple? I doubt Il clean the maple fretboard anyways but just out of interest.
"Prepare to eat crap of the highest calibur!" Brilliant words of a brilliant man.

^ Not sure...
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by Philler101
Hey there folks. I have not set/ cleaned up mine and my loved one's guitars and in a dogs age, nor have I ever used any products for cleaning the neck of a guitar... I have heard of oil or something like that, but I figured I would go ahead and get some info before I buy. Necks consists of rosewood and maple necks, some acoustic, some electric. Anyone have advice?

Ok.. gonna sound weird..

For a Maple, Finished fretboard..Denatured Alchohol.. and a soft toothbrush for cleaning around the frets.. just enough pressure to get the gunk out.. Wipe it down with a soft rag when your done (I like an old T-shirt thats been washed a gazillion times) Thats pretty much it for maple..

rosewood.. to clean it, just a solution of water and a mild soap very diluted and the tooth brush for the fret gunk.. wipe it down often.. don't want the water to sit long at all, and don't use dishwashing soap.. It's a degreaser, and it'll take the oil out of the wood. I use Softsoap for the bathroom.. A squirt or two in a quart of warm water dilutes it enough. then spray a thin film of Lemon Oil (you can get it at any music store) and wipe it off.. Don't let the lemon Oil set very long.. Done..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Ok so I have found Lemon oil, but not at a music shop. Is this to be used to clean the neck or is this to be applied after cleaning with another product,... where did you get those wipes... sounds like they may be at a music shop

Thanks for the advice Papabear505. The Trifecta looks nice too, though I dont know if I can find it up here... at least nothing shows online so guess il have to inquire the old fashioned phone call way.

Quote by Philler101
Thanks for the advice Papabear505. The Trifecta looks nice too, though I dont know if I can find it up here... at least nothing shows online so guess il have to inquire the old fashioned phone call way.

about the only thing that you need that is "Guitar Specific" is the lemon Oil... (don't buy the stuff for furniture.. it sux)

I use Windex to clean my guitar and the forementioned "old t-shirt" good old Fashioned Paste Wax or Carnuba to polish it.. until recently, I soaked my fretboard with lemon oil about once a year.. (I've learned thats not too good... eh.. eggs are bad for you one year and good for you the next.. I learned...) Now its just a thin film, and wipe it off... Q-tips, tooth brushes (soft) tooth picks, pipe cleaners for cleaning out bridge saddles.. all kinds of stuff you can use to clean and maintain your stuff.. buying expensive stuff because it says GIBSON or advertises "The best for your axe" is up to you..

I don't .. been maintaining my own stuff for 40 years now..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Yea that is why Im sticking with Lemon oil etc... only the stuff I find is for furniture almost all the time... I got the Circa 1850 Lemon Oil - Fine Furniture Treatment. Pure Lemon oil....

Quote by Papabear505
buying expensive stuff because it says GIBSON or advertises "The best for your axe" is up to you..

I don't .. been maintaining my own stuff for 40 years now..

$2.50 per bottle that lasts a couple of years and is MEANT for GUITARS. Yea rip off..

How much do you spend on Windex, Paste wax/Carnuba, lemon oil, again?

Oh, and FYI... I maintain my own stuff to...

Last edited by Zeppelin Addict at Dec 22, 2011,