Page 1 of 2
In what way is it not? They sue people for hundreds of thousands of dollars for illegally downloading, yet they do the same. That's pretty much the definition of hypocrisy.

EDIT: Aimed at Dirge.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
That's stupid. I mean getting the videos in 480p when you can easily get all Dexter seasons in 720p or more.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by GazzaCee
In what way is it not? They sue people for hundreds of thousands of dollars for illegally downloading, yet they do the same. That's pretty much the definition of hypocrisy.

EDIT: Aimed at Dirge.

--his joke

--your head
Quote by GazzaCee

Well, you also gotta realize that it probably wasn't the whole organization, just someone in the organization.

Not that I really care anyways, I'm still laughing at this.
This doesn't need a thread, you even posted the link that's on the home page of this website in the OP... It has a comments section for a reason.
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
Quote by mullet1337
This doesn't need a thread, you even posted the link that's on the home page of this website... It has a comments section for a reason.

The comments section is full of more idiots than the Pit.
Quote by mullet1337
This doesn't need a thread, you even posted the link that's on the home page of this website... It has a comments section for a reason.

I know that many people in the Pit don't bother with UG's news section. That's why.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
This made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Dec 22, 2011,
The RIAA would never do anything like this. This is yellow journalism
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Dreadnought
The RIAA would never do anything like this. This is yellow journalism

Yeah, they even said themselves that it wasn't them. It was someone else using their IP addresses. Case closed, they didn't do it.
Quote by Dregen
Well, you also gotta realize that it probably wasn't the whole organization, just someone in the organization.

Not that I really care anyways, I'm still laughing at this.

I'm pretty sure RIAA is an entity since it litigates and whatnot, so the whole organization rather than an individual would be held liable like corporation laws. I could be wrong though.

And that's bullshit if they get away with saying it wasn't them like that. Otherwise everybody could have the defense be "it must have been a neighbor or somebody with a laptop using my connection and then driving off"
Last edited by Fat Lard at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by Dirge Humani
Yeah, they even said themselves that it wasn't them. It was someone else using their IP addresses. Case closed, they didn't do it.

But then doesn't this sort of weaken their entire position on prosecuting based on IPs though?

EDIT: Woops, sorry for the double post.
Quote by Dirge Humani
THAT'S WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK!

ha-haaa
I felt justifiably smug after reading this.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by GazzaCee
I know that many people in the Pit don't bother with UG's news section. That's why.

It's still dumb to post this thread since it will be off the homepage and/or closed within an hour, whereas the article will be on the homepage for at least the rest of the day.
Quote by MadClownDisease
But then doesn't this sort of weaken their entire position on prosecuting based on IPs though?

EDIT: Woops, sorry for the double post.

Oh silly you, of course not! Because they aren't lying! Companies would never lie to save face, that would be dishonest and a disservice to the people they serve!

Quote by Skullivan
It's still dumb to post this thread since it will be off the homepage and/or closed within an hour, whereas the article will be on the homepage for at least the rest of the day.

hey, hey.

Quote by Dregen
The comments section is full of more idiots than the Pit.

This is probably why.
From the article:
someone using the RIAA internet connection

This only means they have a member of staff who was doing it, not that the organisation itself is guilty.

Find out who it was then fire them & sue them.

Read the story properly and you won't accuse them of being hypocritical, you'll just realise it's UG New's usual journalistic ability to take a story and completely mis-sell it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Dirge Humani
Oh silly you, of course not! Because they aren't lying! Companies would never lie to save face, that would be dishonest and a disservice to the people they serve!

Just in the same way politicians don't serve glad-hands and companies. They have the peoples' best interest at heart.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by GaryBillington
From the article:

This only means they have a member of staff who was doing it, not that the organisation itself is guilty.

Read the story properly and you won't accuse them of being hypocritical, you'll just realise it's UG New's usual journalistic ability to take a story and completely mis-sell it.

Exactly! Its not like they have ever argued that it doesn't matter who does the downloading, it is the owner of the IP who is responsible for it!
Quote by GaryBillington
From the article:

Quote by Fat Lard

I'm pretty sure RIAA is an entity since it litigates and whatnot, so the whole organization rather than an individual would be held liable like corporation laws. I could be wrong though.

asdf
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Don't PETA murder animals too?

Yes. Yes they do.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Don't PETA murder animals too?

PETA are also a bunch of fools, and I'm for animal rights.
Quote by Dirge Humani

Well I'm glad we've sorted that out.

EDIT:
Quote by GaryBillington
From the article:

I was going to reply to this, but Dirge's biting sarcasm says it best:
Quote by Dirge Humani
Exactly! Its not like they have ever argued that it doesn't matter who does the downloading, it is the owner of the IP who is responsible for it!

Regardless of whether the company as a whole is downloading or not, the RIAA have prosecuted based solely on IP and as a policy hold the IP owner responsible, not the downloader.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by MadClownDisease
Regardless of whether the company as a whole is downloading or not, the RIAA have prosecuted based solely on IP and as a policy hold the IP owner responsible, not the downloader.

I did not know this, that makes my blood boil. Fucking stupid.
Quote by MadClownDisease

Really? I'm no lawyer, but it sounds like there's a serious problem with the laws involved if that's the case.

If that's what US laws say though (I'm English, so know very little about the intricacies of US law) then I take back my first comment.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by Dirge Humani

Sounds like German laws suck as well!
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Interesting how people would normally probably be up in arms about this site which tracks downloads, but now it's dished out some dirt on the RIAA it's all cool.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Hi. We have no records on you.

Woot.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by entity0009
Interesting how people would normally probably be up in arms about this site which tracks downloads, but now it's dished out some dirt on the RIAA it's all cool.
Have you only just realised that all humans are hypocrites?
ha-haaa
Quote by entity0009

Exactly what I was thinking. Oh you can find out if they track your downloads by going to their site UG? Nice try...
Quote by Banjocal
Have you only just realised that all humans are hypocrites?

Cracka I was born knowin' people be hypocrites.
🙈 🙉 🙊
W-w-w-wankeeerrrsss...
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Page 1 of 2