So I am considering taking the plunge and getting another PRS. This time I am considering ordering or trying to find a Private Stock guitar. Right now I am leaning towards a Mccarty and possibly with Soapbars.

Can anyone tell me other than pure beautiful aesthetics is the Private Stock really worth double the price of their "standard" counterparts?

I would love to converse with anyone who has experience with the PRS PS process / guitars.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
So I am considering taking the plunge and getting another PRS. This time I am considering ordering or trying to find a Private Stock guitar. Right now I am leaning towards a Mccarty and possibly with Soapbars.

Can anyone tell me other than pure beautiful aesthetics is the Private Stock really worth double the price of their "standard" counterparts?

I would love to converse with anyone who has experience with the PRS PS process / guitars.

i'm very good friends with the guy who owns World Guitars in the UK, who are the largest stockist of Private Stocks in the UK (possibly Europe I'm not sure tho)

I talked to him about a private stock PRS and he very bluntly said to me that the sound you get from a Private Stock is probably not better than the normal higher end USA made PRS guitars. You are paying for expensive, exotic and very rare wood to be carved on a one off guitar. if you want just the sound stick to the USA models, but if you want something that is going to be a one off thing of beauty AND sounds great then go Private Stock.

Personally I'd just get a Tom Anderson, cos they sound as good as a Private Stock and are just as nice but cost half the price. But hey, thats just me
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
if you want a truly unique guitar then they are "worth" whatever you are willing to pay for one.

they are built from literally the best materials available to PRS in the world.

that said, there are other "one offs" made by PRS that aren't private stock guitars.

it's a matter of exclusivity as well as a show of wealth imo, kind of like owning an Enzo.

edit: i'm only making that comparison as it relates to a status thing as opposed to actual cost obviously. in comparison the cost of an Enzo makes a private stock PRS look like a gumball.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 22, 2011,
I'd go for a ME3 if you want high end but not insanely expensive.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Steve18222
You can get very good custom made for decent money. Like this one: http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7057/p1290039hk1.jpg

that thing is hideous
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by LP_CL
First ugly PRS I've seen. Congratulations, I didn't know they existed...

Its not a PRS, its a copy.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
it does deserve to be said that for the kind of money you are talking about here a private luthier could build you a guitar to your specs from old growth woods.

i have nothing against PS PRS guitars, nothing at all. i'm just pointing out another option, one i would consider along with a PRS PS guitar.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.