Ok, I currently have a Modified Jackson dinky for heavy rock/ metal and floyd requirements, a custom build for metal and heavy rock with a fixed bridge for double stops, a brian may replica for semi hollow/ single coil/ out of phase/ weird sounds and now I want to buy a new guitar so I figure the only thing I've not really got covered is p90's.

Only guidelines I would give is that I want something of good quality. I've been known to buy some cheap guitars and upgrade them in the past and I always end up doing it myself and I always regret it, so now I want to get something nice and well built to match the rest of the guitars.

More than anything I'm looking for advice on things that are good and outside of the big 6 brands (Gibson, Fender, Jackson, ESP, PRS and Ibanez) because I've thought about them and just want to see if anything else gets mentioned before I go and try things out.

Budget? - I want something around 600 GBP. Maybe a little over if I love it, but if I can get something for 400 that's well made and has what I want then I'm cool with it.

Favorite Artists? - It's just filling out a gap in my arsenal, I have most sounds I want covered, this is for experimentation.

Preferences? - I like Les Pauls, but I'm not a big fan of doublecuts, I also don't like flat top LP's unless they're similar to zemaitis and have a reason for being flat. I'm cool with most shapes though as long as they are fairly ergonomic. I have no preference for brand as long as it's well built, but I don't want anything too pointy. I'm also quite small so something like an es335 is going to look silly on me. . . I also like white guitars.

New or Used? - If it's used then that's OK, but I need to be able to see it, and I want the guitar to be pristine because for the last 5 years I've almost always bought used cheap guitars and rebuilt them. I want something with a new smell for once =D

Location? Chester, UK. Close to Manchester, Liverpool and I could get to birmingham on a train and it wouldn't be amazingly expensive. There are a lot of Dawsons near to me, but everything else is sort of small and deal in odd things that I'm not overly interested in.

Current Gear? - Guitars from above and Dual Terror.
Gibson has a brand new 60s tribute series featuring one LP and an SG, both fit your price range, and are loaded with 2 P90s. They're both Gibson quality and probably what's best for the price you're going for
Or, get a set of humbucker size P-90 replacement pups. Or, a set of SD's like these and can use a push-pull pots to get multiple tones.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/seymour-duncan-shpr-1s-p-rails--neck-and-bridge-pickup-set
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
Last edited by rexherring at Dec 22, 2011,
As with everyone else so far, I'm going to violate your requirements and recommend a PRS Soapbar...

But now I'll actually provide some input that you asked for.

Have you considered Godin? They have some nice offerings and while some are a bit more expensive than your budget, I'd be surprised if you didn't find some nice used ones. But they have some right in your price range, too.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
mij tokai
jj (you can often pick up the p90 ones for under your budget)
older patrick eggles

all worth a look, probably

gordon smith might be worth a look, too, but try first- the ones i've tried were very nice, but i hear bad things about their qc.

godin's probably a good shout too, though i haven't tried their p90 models
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
G&L ASAT Special.

it sounds more like an LP junior than a tele, but it plays amazingly well. pickups are nice and powerful sounding
Quote by JohnMerrick
Gibson has a brand new 60s tribute series featuring one LP and an SG, both fit your price range, and are loaded with 2 P90s. They're both Gibson quality and probably what's best for the price you're going for

+1 nikka
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Haha, everyone really loves them some Gibsons in here =D

I was hoping someone would suggest maybe a decent copy like a tokai, or edwards or something and see if anyone knew of any really good copies in my price range, but so far I guess I'll have to go try out one of the 60's reissues. One of my friends has also pointed out Gretsch and Duesenberg - any ideas? I think the Deusen is probably too expensive, but they look cool =D
I'd go with the Epiphone Limited Edition Riviera Custom P93 Electric Guitar as suggested above by Papabear505
Quote by CobenBlack

I was hoping someone would suggest maybe a decent copy like a tokai, or edwards or something and see if anyone knew of any really good copies in my price range, but so far I guess I'll have to go try out one of the 60's reissues.

i thought i did?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?