I bought this Dean Mlx back in '07, the first guitar I bought myself. I played the hell out of it every single day and it took some pretty heavy abuse. As my playing improved, so did my ear and I soon realized that the stock Zebra pups just weren't cutting it anymore.

Stock Dean Mlx (not my exact one, I didn't have a good picture of mine)

Initially I planned on just replacing the pups, but I got curious as I was disassembling the guitar. So much so that I took it apart down to the last nut and bolt.

I figured what the hell? Since I've got the body separate why don't I do something cool to it? It was pretty beat up anyway and there were chips that needed filler so I went ahead and did that before I laid down a couple of white base coats.

After drawing up a million and one designs I decided what better way to paint the guitar than to improvise? Sounds sketchy I know. Bare with me..

I bought a bunch of acrylic paint and mixed it with water. (It gets stranger) I then proceeded to suck the paint up a straw and blow it onto the guitar. (I did ingest some paint.. So what, I lived.)

After a bunch of clear coats it was ready for the new pups. I ended up going with Gibson 57's from a Goldtop a friend of mine sold to me. Just had some soldering and she was finished!

This is how it turned out:

What do you think of 'The Psychedelic Pizza' UG?

EDIT: I finished this over a year ago and never took pictures. It also spent almost 2 years completely in pieces because we had a house fire during the time this was all going on. The fact that all the pieces survived makes it that much cooler!
Last edited by Zeppelin Addict at Dec 22, 2011,
I think it looks pretty awesome. Well done.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Glad you all like it, thanks everyone!

Quote by dustinp
speaking of fire, I've got a les paul build planned out, and i decided i'm gonna get a torch and literally flame the wood lightly, until it's got a nice char on it, then i'm just gonna shoot the clear. The idea is a guitar that looks like it's been through hell and back

This sounds like a killer idea man! Looking forward to seeing that !

I'm all for unconventional finishes. I was initially thinking about tying the body of this thing to the bumper of a car and dragging it around on the road to beat the hell out of it but I think that's an idea for a more expendable guitar haha.