So I've been playing guitar for about 7 years, self-taught, and I don't know where to go from here. I've never actually "practiced" per se. I just learned to play by learning songs. But I've noticed I've been in a rut for the past few years. I'm sick of playing the same songs and pentatonic scale improvs, but I don't know where to start. I want to play faster, more intricate, more elaborate chords than just power chords, etc. Care to help a guy out?
Last night I played a blank tape at full volume. The mime next door went crazy.

Print out a chord chart (or go buy one) and learn all of the chords on it. Memorize every name, configuration, etc. of them. Experiment with pedals. I can not emphasize this enough. Chords may not sound right clean, but dirty or chorused or trem'd or wah'd or anything they may sound amazing, so be sure to test them out.

Tip: Behringer makes a bunch of cheap pedals, that if you baby them they will last a long time. And they sound good too (i.e. Echo Machine, Multi FX.)

I'm kinda in the same situation

Oh and lastly stop using the forums and go play. Playing guitars is better than talking about playing guitars. It's hard I know but you gotta do it.

Best of luck.
-Matt
Learn chords then, go back to basics, break the acoustic back out, write songs, focus on rhythm, hell maybe pick up a bass and try that.
Quote by Tyson2011
when in doubt, adjust the truss rod.

Sfedf the First ...
or should it be the insane?
you could look into different music styles, learn an other scale or think of something you would like to be able to do on a guitar and learn it. i think it doesn't really matter where you start, just start with what interests you
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.