I was talking to my friend the other day who's probably the best guitarist I know, and he was saying that a compression pedal will really help sweeps "stick together" and sound more clean and fluid. I've never really used compression and from the few demos I just watched, they don't seem to make a big difference (granted I couldn't find any reviews where they played metal). I was also thinking it might help pinch harmonics stand out a little more and clean up my lead playing a bit. Any metal players with experience want to discuss what you find them useful for?
I hate my sig
I find them useful for getting an even sound, or getting a nice "Squished" clean sound. I find practicing my technique helps clean up my sweeps and make my pinch harmonics shine through.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by cliff_em_all
I find them useful for getting an even sound, or getting a nice "Squished" clean sound. I find practicing my technique helps clean up my sweeps and make my pinch harmonics shine through.

Yeah I practice at least an hour every day. I'm talking more about the effects. I'm perfectly competent at both sweeping and pinch harmonics, I've just found that they do sound tighter and more together on amps with a more squished sound (like a Line 6 Spider) than on something with a more natural sound (like a 5150). And yes. I'm serious.
I hate my sig
Compression is useful for sweeps because I tend to sweep inconsistently (ie. my downstroke is usually louder than up) so it helps but I try not to use it. It's better to learn to play cleanly without effects

I don't use compression much, it's hard to play expressively if you get what I mean.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
i just use an overdrive instead

i'm not the best sweeper, though

i'd be a bit wary of using a compressor, though, it might do more harm than good (add noise etc.). Or alternatively it might help.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
sweeping is all about technique, if it sounds bad then its because you need to work on it IMO. i thought i could sweep until i got a decent amp and found i couldnt properly because more of my mistakes came through.

just tighten up your playing, no pedal/effect is going to help your live sound when it comes to things like this
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
I never said my sweeping didn't sound good. Just trying to make it sound better. I swear, every UG thread ends up as "No, if you want better tone or to sound better, equipment has nothing to do with it. All technique. Just practice" Thanks anyway
I hate my sig
ill try and help if i can. if you want your sweeps to sound more fluid, then a compressor may help, as it will even out the loud/quietness of each note played, yes its a short cut and yes this could probably be sorted out with more practice. but fu(k it, if we can get a pedal to helps us along the way why not do it.

personally i think the amount of compression required to make a difference isnt worth the detrimental effect it will have on the dynamics of your playing, however if your just played full on metal with 100000bpm sweeps then **** it you dont need dynamics anyhow. so its your decision.

HTH james
Quote by QuantumMechanix
I never said my sweeping didn't sound good. Just trying to make it sound better. I swear, every UG thread ends up as "No, if you want better tone or to sound better, equipment has nothing to do with it. All technique. Just practice" Thanks anyway

There are people who can sweep on acoustic guitar (no fx or even distortion), so it is in the technique.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by wozzsta
ill try and help if i can. if you want your sweeps to sound more fluid, then a compressor may help, as it will even out the loud/quietness of each note played, yes its a short cut and yes this could probably be sorted out with more practice. but fu(k it, if we can get a pedal to helps us along the way why not do it.

personally i think the amount of compression required to make a difference isnt worth the detrimental effect it will have on the dynamics of your playing, however if your just played full on metal with 100000bpm sweeps then **** it you dont need dynamics anyhow. so its your decision.

HTH james

Sweet. If I got one I wouldn't leave it on all the time or practice with it on. But yeah... the heavy parts of the music I play doesn't require a ton of dynamics from the guitar. Of course a new pedal is never excuse to stop practicing. And once again, I never said I had any problems with my sweeping. In fact, it sounds great. I was just wondering about compression pedals cause of the discussion I was having with my buddy

P.s. my names James too
I hate my sig
Last edited by QuantumMechanix at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Sweet. If I got one I wouldn't leave it on all the time or practice with it on. But yeah... the heavy parts of the music I play doesn't require a ton of dynamics from the guitar. Of course a new pedal is never excuse to stop practicing. And once again, I never said I had any problems with my sweeping. In fact, it sounds great. I was just wondering about compression pedals cause of the discussion I was having with my buddy

then ide say go for it, but first try and try one out at a shop or have a go on a buddys if they have one. and see if it gives you the effect you want.

EDIT: James is a awesome name, high five.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
There are people who can sweep on acoustic guitar (no fx or even distortion), so it is in the technique.

I am one of those people. What don't you get about "My sweeping sounds good"?
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
I am one of those people. What don't you get about "My sweeping sounds good"?

if its good then i kinda find this thread pointless....

either way, a compressor might help but i'd say just work on your technique
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
if its good then i kinda find this thread pointless....

either way, a compressor might help but i'd say just work on your technique

Sorry. I forgot that once you start practicing you don't need good equipment to compliment your playing and make you sound better.
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix

yeah it gets old pretty quick

i've been raging in other threads about the same type of thing
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you can sweep properly then why not? You probably wont need it though if you can sweep properly.

But dont use it to learn to sweep because thatll just be a mess.

If you can properly sweep on an acoustic, where there no distortion or compression then yea you can sweep
Quote by Seanthesheep
If you can sweep properly then why not? You probably wont need it though if you can sweep properly.
This.

Seriously. I can sweep, tap, hammer-on/pull off, etc. with a purely clean signal. When people say sweeping is all in the technique, they're right. It's ALL in the technique.

I don't ever use compressor, unless I'm playing soft arpeggiated clean parts and need all notes at the same level. I like clarity and dynamics in my playing and being able to hear every individual time the pick hits the strings. Not only does a compressor take that away (to my ears), but it also covers up mistakes.

If you need a shitload of compressors, OD/distortion pedals, and a bunch of other misc. effects in order to play anything, then you are just not a good player. Period. You should be able to do any and all techniques with a purely clean signal, or unplugged/on an acoustic.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
This.

Seriously. I can sweep, tap, hammer-on/pull off, etc. with a purely clean signal. When people say sweeping is all in the technique, they're right. It's ALL in the technique.

I don't ever use compressor, unless I'm playing soft arpeggiated clean parts and need all notes at the same level. I like clarity and dynamics in my playing and being able to hear every individual time the pick hits the strings. Not only does a compressor take that away (to my ears), but it also covers up mistakes.

If you need a shitload of compressors, OD/distortion pedals, and a bunch of other misc. effects in order to play anything, then you are just not a good player. Period. You should be able to do any and all techniques with a purely clean signal, or unplugged/on an acoustic.

Same. I agree. I've known how to sweep and tap for a while. And I can do it with a clean signal. Here's a video of me doing some tapping with a clean signal, no compression of effects of an kind. Not that fast, but still. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqB90ulYxxs&feature=plcp&context=C3701c84UDOEgsToPDskLO4O1ZDNWWtH0apOdu4qQB

And there's some pretty simple sweeping in my other video. None of them have any effects whatsoever. I'll post up some more difficult sweeping when I get back from vacation next week.
I hate my sig