So I've finally got over my "hardcore/metal" phase I went through for a few years on guitar. I'm still playing in my deathcore band on bass, and jamming to everything on drums, but guitar wise, I'm getting into the more "indie rock" sound. [That term bugs me because indie just means independent, but whatever.] The sound I'm specifically going for clean wise is the Two Door Cinema Club style Clean :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PorW3y5n1w
Except with a little more bass on tap, I like a little more bass in my tone. I used 6505+ heads, Mesa Dual Rectifers, and ENGL Power and Fireballs for years, but I have no experience with amps that aren't high gain.
I just need a good sounding clean tube amp. I'll run a ModTones Dyno Drive in front of it.

Budget-$400
Location-Louisville, KY
Style-"indie" rock
Uses-practice, then gigs in the future.
Guitars I'll use: EC-1000 [JB/'59], and Peavey Reactor Tele.

Open to buying used, so shoot me idea. The cheaper the better. so that I can get the effects I need too. I looked into the Crate v18 series, but they aren't good sounding to me. I like the Bugera V22. I prefer a 1x12 combo, I can mic it up at shows. Half stacks are just overkill for me.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
Last edited by paintballcrazy7 at Dec 22, 2011,
When I think of Indie cleans I think of a Vox AC30 but with that budget you'd probably be looking at something more like an AC4? If you want something giggable you may need to set aside more money.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
try to find a used fender hot rod deluxe. I think it'll work nicely.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
try to find a used fender hot rod deluxe. I think it'll work nicely.

+1 Maybe stretch $50 more and you should be able to find most any Fender Hot Rod series amps if you try. Definitely the Deluxe. You might like the higher clean headroom of the Deville though ($450-$500 used).
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I have a Vox AC15 that I love, but that's probably a bit out of your price range. Maybe try the AC15VR?
I may be able to stretch it to about $500 used if need be. I'm pretty good at haggling on craigslist. So Vox seems to be the standards, and no ones recommending the Bugera I mentioned. I know they ship with crappy tubes, but any other specific reason?
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
Peavey Valveking or Classic 50, they both run a version of the Fender Twin Reverb clean circuit from what I've heard...sure does sound like it.

It's a nice deep clean with clear, deep bass response, plenty of mids and smooth high end...It gets even better if you use them with a decent speaker...but the stock speaker is actually pretty decent with cleans.
I never really did consider a Valveking. It has a Fender style clean circuit?
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
Quote by paintballcrazy7
I never really did consider a Valveking. It has a Fender style clean circuit?

From what I hear. I do know the cleans are excellent, it's the dirt channel everyone has a problem with, since it's a very loose gain, and everyone is into metal these days. It's a great classic rock amp, though, but nobody plays classic rock, and anyone who does doesn't want a cheap Peavey.
I hear that. I'm out of metal for a while on guitar, and I'm just needing a good clean, and I'll occasionally run the dyno drive overtop of it when I need the light distortion. I think a ValveKing may be right up my alley, especially since i trust peavey products.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
If I were you, and you feel like throwing some cash at it to really make the clean channel shine, do the bias pot mod to the amp, Peavey likes to bias their amps cold. So if you bias those tubes hot it'll really sing on the cleans, I've been wanting to do it to my VK for a long time.

I'd wait for a bit and see if anyone can recommend something better.

This is the kinda tone I get from my VK recording it straight from the preamp and using a Mesa with V-30's and SM-57 mic impulses(basically like running my VK through a Mesa 4x12 wtih V-30 speakers and micing it up with a SM-57).

BKP Trilogy Suites single coils in a Strat http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play941245

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play963677
I'm digging the sound. Nice playing to dude. I may get a VK then, since I should be able to scoop one up on the cheap and add pedals. I may have to look into that mod too while I'm at it.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
Went with a Classic 30 1x12
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass