***NOTE - Amp now ordered; no need to add to thread***

Hullo friends, I'm after a bit of advice.

Been playing guitar since the 1980s, but I've been out of the picture for a little while, and have only been playing bass guitar recently, hence my dilemma...

I have a lovely Gibson SG (the 1960s tribute one with the P90s) and I have been playing it through my Laney BC-120 bass combo. This is not ideal for two reasons: firstly the quality of sound is obviously focused more on a bass instrument than a lead one, and secondly the amp really is too powerful as I'm not currently gigging and am only playing at home (in a semi-detached house too!)

I'm in several minds as to how to proceed, and have been mulling over the following:-

1) Buy a solid state practice amp like a Peavey, Roland, etc. and just go with that.

2) Start saving long-term for something in the 30 watt combo range, perhaps all-valve.

3) Get a valve head - can this be used with the speaker of my Laney combo? There is what seems to be a speaker lead connecting the "head" section of the combo to the speaker. The manual is not completely clear, but seems to indicate that a ) the "head" can indeed be used with an external cab (so I'm thinking that I can reverse the situation and use the speaker with an external head) and b ) the setup is declared to have a "minimum load impedance of 4 ohm".

Is number 3 possible at all? Anyone have opinions on favourite options for numbers 1 & 2?

I'm a bit out-of-date with lead amp tech, so I've read the excellent sticky at the top of this section, which mentions many amps in various price brackets.

Final bit of info to help: I've mainly played metal over the years (fave bands including Iron Maiden and AC/DC) and loved my old Peavey Bandit 112. However, I'm trying to broaden my playing a little, and hope to get some blues, folk and jazz done as well as hooking up with the old metal stuff.

Many, many thanks for reading, and any advice you could offer.
Last edited by EMarkM at Mar 12, 2012,
dunno how much you have to spend, that said, a good option for a cheap, practice amp that sounds pretty good is the Fender super champ xd. I'm a big fan myself...
That minimum load of 4 ohms is a restriction of your Laney amp. I havent been able to find what that actual speaker is but in theorey yes you could use that cabibet with a different head. but thats a bass cabinet dude! =) - Its going to be tuned around lower frequencies and sound like mud. I am assuming you asked about this because you are worried about the cost of a head plus the cost of a new cabinet?

When are you looking to purchase and whats your budget? Looking to play with a drummer and bassist in a band or just wanting to jam in the bedroom?
Thanks to everyone for your replies so far.

@Fear The Abyss - I've had my eyes on those lovely M/Bs for ages now. Very tempting...

@Everyone - I deliberately left out any thoughts on budget at first to get a wide view on what to go for, but I guess now's the time to commit! I guess in the real world, I'm really not looking to spend too much just at the moment (so that kinda rules out the delicious M/B...) and I should probably just be looking at a little 15/30W practice amp.

@al - I've heard both good and bad things about the Fenders; they used to have quite a good reputation a couple of decades ago, but I've seen varying opinions more recently. I'm glad that yours suits you - could you let me know what guitar & effects you use with it, and what styles you play?

@surjer - at the moment I'll be just playing in the bedroom, but remnants of a couple of my old bands are still around, and I have also had a couple of offers from new friends to join up with some jamming as well.

All-in-all, I think what this thread has helped me realise is that I want a decent practice amp that could possible be miked-up for gigs if they eventually happen.

Does this give anyone any ideas, in addition to the M/B and Fender already mentioned?

Cheers
See if you can get a used Marshall Class 5 or if you want something louder a Peavy Classic 30 with a Tubescreamer.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
My Gibson SG sounds orgasmic with my Deville and my Fulltone pedals, but I also occasionally run my Deville into a Marshall 1960 so YRMV.
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
Quote by EMarkM
Thanks to everyone for your replies so far.
@al - I've heard both good and bad things about the Fenders; they used to have quite a good reputation a couple of decades ago, but I've seen varying opinions more recently. I'm glad that yours suits you - could you let me know what guitar & effects you use with it, and what styles you play?
Cheers
Well, my thoughts on the Fender are that it's a practice amp and should really not be treated as much more than that. I was, however, extremely surprised at how good it sounded. I usually play your run of the mill blues, jazz, rock styles. I'm using it with a Gibson les paul right now, no real effects run into it. I might add a little bit of delay every now and then from the on-board effects, but that's about it. My actual pedal board really just stays with my JTM45. The thing I really like about the amp though is that it's surprisingly versatile. Obviously, it's bread and butter are going to be Fender-esque sounds and it does a great impression of a tweed and does the overdriven classic BF sound pretty well too. Not too bad considering I only paid $200 for mine...

If you click my username, I have two sound bytes recorded with the amp. One is called "Honky Tonk," which is the les paul straight into the amp, I think on an overdriven tweed setting, at VERY low levels (I recorded it while I was living with two med students who liked their peace and quiet), the other one is the MXR Carbon Copy demo, which is a delay run in front of the amp along with a $20 Dano fuzz pedal... again, at VERY low levels (I'm talking like... volume at 0.5 or less, you can barely hear it live, I turned up the line level on the recording)
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 23, 2011,
Hey al: both your clips have excellent tone to them - I'm liking that a lot. I take it from your comment that you wouldn't really consider miking the amp up for a gig.

Guess I'll get myself down to the local store and check out those Fenders.

Thank you all very much for taking the time and trouble. If anyone else has recent experience of Roland, Orange, Peavey, Marshall, etc. they would like to share, your opinions would be most welcome
I favor a peavy vypyr in your price rang that are versatile for cheap and sound nice fenders are also good to the peavy vypyrs have built in stomp boxes and have multiple anmp models I use mine for a practice amp it's great and cheap
Last edited by Lptubeking at Dec 23, 2011,
Quote by EMarkM
Hey al: both your clips have excellent tone to them - I'm liking that a lot. I take it from your comment that you wouldn't really consider miking the amp up for a gig.

Guess I'll get myself down to the local store and check out those Fenders.

Thank you all very much for taking the time and trouble. If anyone else has recent experience of Roland, Orange, Peavey, Marshall, etc. they would like to share, your opinions would be most welcome
I COULD mic it up for a gig if I wanted, actually for smaller gigs, I probably would. Otherwise, I have a few other amps that I could use, but require me to lug around a Marshall 4x12. I haven't played a gig in a while though, which is the main reason why I bought the Super Champ (the JTM45 is simply overkill for much of what I do), so that I have something portable and sounds decent. I could definitely gig with it though if I wanted, I really wouldn't have any qualms about doing so (it doesn't quite have the badassery off a Marshall all tube half stack but something has got a give). It's 15 watts, which is... acceptable for most small gigs.

The biggest thing for me was price. I love a good Marshall as much as anyone, but there simply isn't anything in the same price range that sounds as good or has as much flexibility.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 24, 2011,
Peavey Classic 30
Jet City JCA20
Vox Night Train
Laney VC15/30
Fender Blues Junior
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Thanks again everyone - I now have plenty of models to look up the reviews for

I'll be sure to update my signature when I get sorted out.

Cheers
Sorry to resurrect, but just wanted to let y'all know that I've just ordered a Fender Blues Junior III. Sounds amazing with my stock P90s and can't wait to try my OD-3 out on it.

Thanks again for your help, everybody - happy pickin'
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
For the practice amp I have this one

I have replaced speaker in the cabinet with this one

This is a very good choice for practice amp I think. It has very good tone and a lot of posibilityes to tweak the sound. You go to high gain sound at very comfortable volumes thanks to WATTS knob.

You can hear sound example I recorded with my amp.

http://soundcloud.com/thebedroommusician/vht-squire-classic-vibe-50s

Cheerz
Last edited by Thebedroommusic at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by EMarkM
Sorry to resurrect, but just wanted to let y'all know that I've just ordered a Fender Blues Junior III. Sounds amazing with my stock P90s and can't wait to try my OD-3 out on it.

Thanks again for your help, everybody - happy pickin'

Nice.

You should update the OP, so people don't come in spamming up your thread. Unfortunately, a lot of posters here don't read the posts before commenting.

This thread will probably be closed, but when you get the amp, do a NAD for us!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I just got rid of my Marshall JCM 2000, which was amazing, and got a Peavey Classic 30, for around $300 USD used. I love the amp, I would hate to say more than my Marshall, but with my Agile with p90's it sounds great. I have a modded 808 pedal in front of it and it sounds great. The amp can get loud if you need it, but stay somewhat quiet when at home so as to not make the wife and kids mad.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13