I'm currently playing on the embarrassing, cheap, solid state Crate FTX120. Me and my band (I'm lead guitar) just got serious, and when I try to crank my amp, it ends up sounding like a pile of dog crap. I'm sick of playing on this piece of garbage, so I'm looking to get a new amp. I definitely want to get a half stack, and I definitely want to get a tube amp. My budget is anything up to $1800. We play hard rock and blues with a hint of metal, so distortion is a must. I would rather have great built-in distortion than rely on a pedal for gains. I don't really care about built-in effects, I'd use pedals for that. Reverb would be nice tho, but ehhh, it's not mandatory. Versatile EQ settings would be nice too, since I like to play all kinds of styles on my own time. With that said, what are some recommendations?
1950s Reissue Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
Egnater just recently released the Vengeance amplifier and matching 4x12 cabinet, and a halfstack would set you back just under US$1,700.00. Give it a good look.

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Dec 22, 2011,
Ceriatone 2550 Marshall Silver Jubilee Clone. its an awesome amp but theres no built in reverb. but you could buy it and get a good 4x12" cab and still have money for an Electro Harmonix Cathedral Reverb.
but your sig says that you have a fender hot rod deville and 2 big muffs. surely thats enough overdrive and loud enough. why dont you use it?
Sorry, my sig is old, I don't have that amp anymore
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
Marshall DSL
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I just got a Mesa/Boogie F-50 1x12 combo used for $650. It sounds absolutely fantastic on every gain level,and I heard it sound even better with a cab. That way, you can have a stack, but also have a relatively portable combo. Have a look.
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
I got my Roadster (used) and Rectifier 2x12 (new) for $1800 total (not including insurance and whatnot). The Roadster is incredibly flexible and will nail all the genres you mentioned, and it has reverb and plenty of gain on tap. In hindsight, though, I probably would have gotten the matching cab (a bit smaller, which gives it less bass/tighter sound) instead of the Rectifier cab, which I believe is more expensive than the Roadster cab anyway.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Used Mesa Rectoverb and 4x12 cab, Used Mesa Mark IV and cab, Used Peavey JSX and cab.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm not sure what you mean by blues with a hint of metal... example of a band you sound like? I really like Bugera's even though that may be under your price range. Check out Bugera V55 or 6260. You can get them relatively cheap and pair it with a nice Orange or Marshall cab

Oh and both have built in reverb that actually sounds good
I hate my sig
Last edited by QuantumMechanix at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by QuantumMechanix
^tis a good deal, but might be a little too high gain

You can just turn the gain down

The JSX was ment as a do all amp, cleans,crunch and hi-gain
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You can just turn the gain down

The JSX was ment as a do all amp, cleans,crunch and hi-gain

I've never actually played one. I just heard it was very similar to a 5150 which isn't really a bluesy amp at all
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
I've never actually played one. I just heard it was very similar to a 5150 which isn't really a bluesy amp at all

Right on, the JSX is actualy a very nice amp. It is pretty clean and can do up to Mesa style gain. I highly recomend you try one if you get the chance.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
used axe-fx ultra straight into the board
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by itamar100
Ceriatone 2550 Marshall Silver Jubilee Clone. its an awesome amp but theres no built in reverb. but you could buy it and get a good 4x12" cab and still have money for an Electro Harmonix Cathedral Reverb.

Oh lord, this. A Jubilee would be perfect.
Wow, to be honest, I REALLY liked the Egnater Vengeance. I still gotta look up some more in this threat. And it's really hard to give an example of a band we sound like, we're trying to do our own sound. I'd like to say that we're a fuse between Wolfmother and Metallica, so just imagine what that would sound like, lol.
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
I'd look into getting a Used Splawn Quickrod and any sort of 4x12 cab with V30 speakers. Splawns will give you great gain, but also give you really nice cleans and blues tones as well. I personally love V30s for their super huge fat sounds, but you can go with any cab you prefer really. You can probably snag a Splawn Quickrod for $1200 used, and that would leave you $600 for the cab of your choice.
Used Mark IV + cab.....

JSX + Cab.....

Used Dual Rec + Cab.....

Your description of your sound is still a bit vague, but there are a ton of great amps you could get with that budget. You can tweak a Mark series amp until the end of time.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes