Hey guys,
I'm looking to up my amp into the next stage or so.
I currently have an Ashdown Electric Blue:
http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=eb&ID=103

I play grunge,rock, heavy rock and blues.
I have a 2010 Rickenbacker 4003
I play small/medium sized gigs where my current amp doesnt cut it.
What amps would you recornmend?
I have a budget of around 600 or so pounds...
It would be quite nice to have a really powerful amp so its really loud at low levels if you get my drift.
I have tried a few ampegs and am not impressed and fancy sticking with Ashdown because I really like their build etc.

I have been considering these:
http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=dt&ID=254

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=abm&ID=10

What do you guys think? What do you suggest?
What kind of amps can you get a hold of? You might want a head and a cab instead of a combo amp.
Gallien Kreuger MB500+4x10

should fall right in your range. i'd normally go straight to genz-benz or ampeg but you dislike ampeg and don't have the best budget.

definitely get a head+big cab. most of your volume will come from moving the most air possible, and upping your speaker can easily quadruple your output.

with this combo you can upgrade over time and still have quality material to back-up once you get a better head (GB STL9.2 :liplick and can add another cab later or something.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Dec 22, 2011,
Hmmmm, would you strongly recommend heads and cabs?
It would be alot more hassle with practicing and stuff and I'm not sure how they work and stuff.
And RE: getting hold of.. how do you mean? I would probably get over the net.
Last edited by Cakemuncher123 at Dec 22, 2011,
On heads and cabs. Read the FAQ at the top of the forum. Its not that complicated really once you get down the basics.

The thing with heads and cabs is that you gain quite a bit of versatility in your sound in the ability to switch out different cabinet and combination of cabinets. And bass heads are getting lighter these days, so getting them to and from gigs is not a hassle, any more than a decent heavy combo is.
When I first read the title I thought You wanted Help moving a 600-700 lb amp,lol
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
Hartke HA5500 or one of the newer LH series should do it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
^+1
A decent bass combo amp is going to be pretty heavy and annoying as opposed to a head and cab.
I also play grunge/heavy rock,etc,and it surprises me that an ampeg didn't appeal to you.What kind of bands/bassists do you listen to?
I'll be able to give some better advice once I know that.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
You're in Britain... I'd recommend saving another couple of hundred pounds and getting a barefaced cab (probably the only cab you'll ever need) and then search on basschat for a small lightweight second hand amp head, perhaps something like an Ashdown little giant (if Ashdown are your thing, personally I detest almost everything they ever made).

Neodynium cabs are a lot lighter than ordinary speakers, and therefore coupled with a tiny class D head are going to be easy to move. Amp/cab is generally superior to combo 99% of the time. Literally all you have to do is plug in 1 lead to the back of the amp and then into the back of the speaker, just as you'd plug your instrument into your amp.

It's easier to transport. Instead of a bulky combo you have a cab which is smaller, and an extra small box that can just sit on your lap in the car or something (unless you choose an all-valve head which I wouldn't recommend unless you know exactly what you want).
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Dec 23, 2011,
@Ian hawkins my favouite bassists are: Paul Mc, Krist Nov, Nate mandel, JPJ (ofc and John entwil.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.
After looking at all the comments I see that I should go for a Head+Cab over an combo so I will look into some of these.
Anymore advice would be great.
Quote by Cakemuncher123

It would be quite nice to have a really powerful amp so its really loud at low levels if you get my drift.
I have tried a few ampegs and am not impressed and fancy sticking with Ashdown because I really like their build etc.

I feel that's an oxymoron? I assume you want to push a lot of air?

I'm surprised you have such a nice bass to only now really consider an amp. Like everyone else has said combos are heavy (I used to own one that was like 100 pounds). I'd say the GK MB500 and 4x10 is a good idea, I might check out the fusion for a little tube grit.

Used is definitely the way to go, and ampegs do have an industry standard rock and grungy tone, did you try SVT's or their lesser assorted solid state offerings? Most non SVT Ampeg gear is kind of lame in my opinion, asside from of course their vintage fliptops etc.

Overall save a bit more and look used, maybe sell your old amp and you'll be getting some quality gear.
Quote by askrere
I feel that's an oxymoron? I assume you want to push a lot of air?

I think he means he wants a lot of headroom.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
I think he means he wants a lot of headroom.

Makes sense then

300-500 watts should cover it and have a DI on it or a DI unit. If you have PA coverage in most stages you frequent, you could DI/mic and just use your amp for your own personal monitor.
Thanks guys!
Sorry for the slow response. yeah i did mean i would like alot of headroom :P Im having a second look into ampreg's heads and cabs.
You can get some nice gear in the Ampeg line, but watch the lower end of their line--its not worth the cash to what you get. If you find a good rig and want some feedback on it, feel free to post back here. Quite a few of us have owned Ampeg gear.

The other thing to remember is that Ampeg amps are not transparent and will color your tone to the point where most bass players can identify any bass run through an Ampeg rig with their eyes closed. I happen to love that tone--but its not for everyone's taste.
Quote by Cakemuncher123
Hey guys,
I'm looking to up my amp into the next stage or so.
I currently have an Ashdown Electric Blue:
http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=eb&ID=103

I play grunge,rock, heavy rock and blues.
I have a 2010 Rickenbacker 4003
I play small/medium sized gigs where my current amp doesnt cut it.
What amps would you recornmend?
I have a budget of around 600 or so pounds...

I have been considering these:
http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=dt&ID=254

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=abm&ID=10

What do you guys think? What do you suggest?

For the money you've got you could get an Ashdown Little Giant and a separate cab, one thing to note is that the Little Giant performs at is best with 4 ohm loads.
I have the 1000 watt version, with two 4 ohm cabs the output is incredible for its size.
I build all my own cabs as it works out far less costly.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn