What's the difference between overdrive and distortion?

sorry for possibly newbie question.
Quote by darkstar2466
You will get large cacti inserted into your anus for the heinous crime of piracy.

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I wanna go down on you Jesus, I wanna feel your salvation all over my face

My signature lacks content.
It is, however, blue.
distortion distorts

overdrive drives over
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
dist is used on a clean channel to give you a different type of distortion, over is used one a distortion channel to give it even more gain.
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......|
....\__________./
Technically, overdrive is a form of distortion but let's not get into that. Overdrive is the sound of an amp being pushed at high volumes until the valves/speaker break up, causing a distorted signal. Think sounds like AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Led Zep. Distortion is a much smoother, more compressed and more, well, distorted sound. Think metal sounds for this. Then there's fuzz, which is a slightly different beast again, maybe some QOTSA and Hendrix type sounds
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
not sure any of the posts so far are really right (not being a know-all, i just don't want you to listen to questionable info).

distortion is basically more extreme overdrive. generally overdrive is soft clipping, distortion generally is hard clipping.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
lol when i first started playing guitar i also said the same question. simply put distortion sounds dirty and heavy. while overdrive sounds clean but have very little distortion.

i don't know how to exactly say it but go to youtube and hear what's the difference between a distortion and an overdrive
I think the best idea would be to simply youtube different overdrives, distortions, and fuzz pedals so you can hear the difference yourself.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Whence thee engage'eth in thine most fluid and tasty leads, dear mikeysteve, make certain thou activate thy overdrive effect-box! This provide'th for additional smooth-tone'age as well as increased amplitude, as thee conjure notes aplenty from thy six-string'eth-banshee, and shower thine adoring audience in shards of molten rock!

And what of ye distortion effect-box? Why, thee activate'eth this device for ye hymn's entirety, my lad! With all dials set to full for optimum punishment!

This post now concludeth!
WATCH YE TALES OF THIS VERY KNIGHT, AS TOLD IN YE ARTS OF CINEMA AND METAL:
> CLICK'ETH HERE <
Last edited by Ye Black Knight at Dec 23, 2011,
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Hail
distortion distorts

overdrive drives over

this
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.