I'm wanting to sell a guitar on Ebay or somewhere online instead of getting ripped off in a Guitar Shop. I need to know what procedures and supplies I need to keep the guitar safe when I mail it. I don't want it to get damaged when I ship it. If anyone wants to know... It's a Schecter Synyster Custom with a nick in the paint on the back. I don't particularly like the band or the guitar anymore so I'm wanting to replace it with another C-1 Hellraiser FR.
i'd just sell it locally. find an online classifieds that's popular where you live and see what turns up.
Ebay then "pick up only"

Guitars are pretty hard to package - I brought my explorer in a hard shell case, but even that was damaged in shipping. Unless you're going to get a proper flight case for it, they are very fragile: something like this would work if you're willing to fork out £150+ http://www.htfr.com/p/380777/total_impact_flightcase_electric_guitar_case
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
go to a guitar store and ask for an old guitar box. Use lots of bubble wrap and hard foam to line the box on both sides of the neck. Make sure you get insurance on the package.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
And MAKE SURE you losen the strings. There are some really good youtube videos, watch a few of them.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by mike_oxbig
i'd just sell it locally. find an online classifieds that's popular where you live and see what turns up.

I was Offered $300 for a guitar I paid $1100 because of a nick. Then Guitar Center would sell it for $800-$900... Some of the guitar were in terrible condition. ( Nicks in Neck, Major Scratches on Finish etc. I'd rather sell it for $500-$700 That way I'm getting a better deal and someone isn't getting ripped off.
Ebay then "pick up only"

You my friend... "pick up only"... I never knew they had something like that. Thanks. Now I don't have to worry about it getting damaged.
If the guitar doesn't have a case.. take it to someplace like "The UPS Store" or some other place that will professionally pack it for you... in UPS's case, if they pack it.. they gaurentee it..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Robbgnarly
go to a guitar store and ask for an old guitar box. Use lots of bubble wrap and hard foam to line the box on both sides of the neck. Make sure you get insurance on the package.

^ This one! ^
Vintage V100 Les Paul Icon Gold Top
Indie Shape "Black Jack" Special Edition
ESP LTD MH-200
Stagg Dreadnought Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 15 modeling amp
I just bought a guitar on eBay, and the seller did a pretty good job of packing it. It came in a hard case, and he used extra flat sheets of corrugated cardboard, as well as some bubble wrap, to fill the space between the case and the outer box. Plus I paid him a bit extra to purchase insurance.

I was worried about the package just being left on my doorstep, so I elected to have it kept at the local office as a will-call.

I go to pick it up, and the lady goes in the back warehouse area, with a cart. I can see her through the opening, though. She stands the box on end, on the cart (in other words, either neck up, or neck down....), and as she turns away, I see the guitar topple off the cart and land flat on the floor.

She comes out with the guitar on the cart, without mentioning anything, so I comment,"I hope being dropped didn't break anything in my package, with all of the "FRAGILE" and "High Claim Value" stickers all over it...."

Her only comment to me is that it wasn't a "hard fall", and that she was sure that my package had seen worse during shipping......

Luckily all was right with both the guitar and the case when I opened them!
Go to your local guitar shop, and just ask if they have a spare guitar box laying around, the music shop I work at always has spare boxes from deliveries etc.
Forsooth! For this knight hath a recommendation that may bring'eth thee whimsy: within this strings-o-six-banshee container place'eth one of thine hairs-o-pubis amongst ye packaging!

What could bring more hilarity than a stranger handling one of thine "crotch curlies"! Methinks this recipient shan't even discover this scrotum-born-stowaway! (and it's added weight most likely will not increase'eth freight charge)

Thee can confide in this recipient that thee added "extra mojo" to his delivery!

This post now concludeth!
WATCH YE TALES OF THIS VERY KNIGHT, AS TOLD IN YE ARTS OF CINEMA AND METAL:
> CLICK'ETH HERE <
its not a big deal, wrap the guitar or put it in a gig bag if you are selling a gig bag included. pack guitar in guitar box make sure to fully support neck and headsotck, tape the hell out of it, get a bigger box, pack it tight, get UPS insurance, and you are fine. i have shipped probably a dozen or so guitars going this and i have never had a problem.

if you dont want to get screwed, dont sell on ebay. between ebay and paypal fees you lose a good bit. i usually sell over forum or locally. local is the best. IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by JustRooster
You went to Ebay to not get ripped off? Haha.

Another Smart ass answer from a person on the internet who has no idea what he is talking about. I was offered $450 for a guitar at Guitar Center and $425 at Sam Ash. I was offered $650 from a friends friend blah blah... When it wasn't for sale. Yeah... I'll take my $500-$650 any day.
Quote by Fear The Abyss
Another Smart ass answer from a person on the internet who has no idea what he is talking about. I was offered $450 for a guitar at Guitar Center and $425 at Sam Ash. I was offered $650 from a friends friend blah blah... When it wasn't for sale. Yeah... I'll take my $500-$650 any day.

Of course, you know nothing about me or how many guitars I've sold, but it's definitely safe to assume I don't know what I'm taking about...

...but I'm the smart ass. Is the weather nice up there on your high horse?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Fear The Abyss

i am not sure if this was directed toward me, but you don't know what you are talking about, thats why you ask a question. which is fine. is this b*tchey comment going to help us?

guitar center has to make some money you know, they aren't going to pay for something that isn't going to be moved in a reasonable time or the amount they can make on it. any ding will kill you as far as selling it to music stores. i had a small ding on the guitar, the one time i bought a guitar into sam ash they offered $150 for a EC400. i sold it for $375 on CL a few days later, he didn't mind the ding.

i have had at a MINIMUM of 50 guitars shipped to my home or that i have shipped to somebody else. i have never had a problem.

ebay does rape you with fees.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
If you're selling it through E-Bay , UPS can package it for you for a extra charge. Just contact them and see how much it would cost and put that in your shipping costs . This way you don't lose any money and the guitar is guaranteed to arrive to the winning bidder securely packaged with no issues at all.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am not sure if this was directed toward me, but you don't know what you are talking about, thats why you ask a question. which is fine. is this b*tchey comment going to help us?

guitar center has to make some money you know, they aren't going to pay for something that isn't going to be moved in a reasonable time or the amount they can make on it. any ding will kill you as far as selling it to music stores. i had a small ding on the guitar, the one time i bought a guitar into sam ash they offered $150 for a EC400. i sold it for $375 on CL a few days later, he didn't mind the ding.

i have had at a MINIMUM of 50 guitars shipped to my home or that i have shipped to somebody else. i have never had a problem.

ebay does rape you with fees.

It was directed to the person who I replied to. No one else. I thank everyone for taking time out of your day to help me. I asked about how to package something. Not about how GC or Ebay rips us off.
Quote by JustRooster
Of course, you know nothing about me or how many guitars I've sold, but it's definitely safe to assume I don't know what I'm taking about...

...but I'm the smart ass. Is the weather nice up there on your high horse?

Of course the price Guitar Center gives you isn't the price they sell it for. So I'm selling it in the middle of what Guitar Center would offer me and how much they would sell a used one in the store. That's why I'm going to either use the internet to sell it. Pay through Paypal. Since apparently Ebay is awful I'll go on random sites and try to sell it. Have a nice day pal.
Quote by Fear The Abyss
Of course the price Guitar Center gives you isn't the price they sell it for. So I'm selling it in the middle of what Guitar Center would offer me and how much they would sell a used one in the store. That's why I'm going to either use the internet to sell it. Pay through Paypal. Since apparently Ebay is awful I'll go on random sites and try to sell it. Have a nice day pal.

Because that's exactly what I told you to do, right? Get the bug out of your ass. Ebay may yield you a better price than Guitar Center, but it's still no where near what you could get by selling it privately. The seller's fees really make certain guitars not worth it, especially if you're selling it for under $500.

You were the one who said you didn't want to get ripped off so you went to ebay. Why did I laugh? Because it's a laughable claim.
Quote by Fear The Abyss
It was directed to the person who I replied to. No one else. I thank everyone for taking time out of your day to help me. I asked about how to package something. Not about how GC or Ebay rips us off.

you asked how to pack a guitar and you were given several ideas. i told you what i do, others said what they do, some are telling you to get it professionally packed at the UPS store or USPS, what more do you want to hear?

as far as eBay ripping you off, which i mentioned, not everyone realizes the cost to list, percentage off the sale price that ebay takes off the top, if they pay with paypal, and you put it into a bank account, they take a percentage or so off again. just trying to help.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by JustRooster
Because that's exactly what I told you to do, right? Get the bug out of your ass. Ebay may yield you a better price than Guitar Center, but it's still no where near what you could get by selling it privately. The seller's fees really make certain guitars not worth it, especially if you're selling it for under $500.

You were the one who said you didn't want to get ripped off so you went to ebay. Why did I laugh? Because it's a laughable claim.

I'm most likely to sell it privately. Ebay was a suggestion that got shot down in flames really quick. Don't get emotional.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you asked how to pack a guitar and you were given several ideas. i told you what i do, others said what they do, some are telling you to get it professionally packed at the UPS store or USPS, what more do you want to hear?

as far as eBay ripping you off, which i mentioned, not everyone realizes the cost to list, percentage off the sale price that ebay takes off the top, if they pay with paypal, and you put it into a bank account, they take a percentage or so off again. just trying to help.

I thank you for the help. There is always one person that posts a smart answer... So I have to give him a piece of mind. I now know what to do, but people are keeping this thread going. Because of that... I keep replying back.
Quote by Ippon
Wrap the guitar in bubble wrap, surround with foam peanuts in a box, cover the box in more peanuts in a box. Always double box!

Build a wooden box reinforced with iron plates, wrap guitar in bubble wrap, fill box halfway with packing peanuts, place guitar, fill rest with packing peanuts, then seal box and put in a larger wooden box surrounded by impact foam.

It's expensive, but the guitar will never get damaged.
Quote by Fear The Abyss
I'm most likely to sell it privately. Ebay was a suggestion that got shot down in flames really quick. Don't get emotional.

Quote by JustRooster

Trust me, he's not.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.