Root position triads, inversions, suspensions (not sus chords), primary 7th chords, secondary 7ths, inversions of 7ths,chromatic chords, borrowed chords, altered chords, 9th 11th and 13th chords, altered dominants, Poly chords.

Don't look up what an inversion, play an E minor/G and think you know how to use inversions properly.

Don't look up suspensions, chuck in a 4-3 suspension on the tonic and think you know how to use suspensions properly.

Learn what these things are (in order) and analyse music to see how they are used in practice and what they sound like.

That should keep you busy for a while.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Learn theory including voice leading.

an example perhaps?

I already know the most common chord progression which is I - IV - V

and the jazzy II- V - I
Quote by griffRG7321
Root position triads, inversions, suspensions (not sus chords), primary 7th chords, secondary 7ths, inversions of 7ths,chromatic chords, borrowed chords, altered chords, 9th 11th and 13th chords, altered dominants, Poly chords.

Don't look up what an inversion, play an E minor/G and think you know how to use inversions properly.

Don't look up suspensions, chuck in a 4-3 suspension on the tonic and think you know how to use suspensions properly.

Learn what these things are (in order) and analyse music to see how they are used in practice and what they sound like.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Thanks. That should keep me busy for a while all right.

I have an additional question. about serialism.

Is that just running through chords in ascending/descending order then starting over?
Quote by BluesyBlue
don't think about it, hear it in your head... then play it on the guitar

I agree with this but what's in my head is all the same :P

Need more theory and experience first before I attempt that again.
Quote by BluesyBlue
don't think about it, hear it in your head... then play it on the guitar

Get out. Learning theory opens up your mind to concepts you wouldn't have dreamed about previously, it also introduces you to music you might not have listened to before.

Quote by gothblade
Thanks. That should keep me busy for a while all right.

I have an additional question. about serialism.

Is that just running through chords in ascending/descending order then starting over?

No, If I were you I'd forget about serialism for now (unless you like serialist music).
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by griffRG7321
Get out.

No, If I were you I'd forget about serialism for now (unless you like serialist music).

Ok dude thanks for the advice . Just wondered if it might spice up my usually bland composition or something anyway I'll forget about it for now.
Quote by gothblade
Any tips in building better chord progressions?

- Learn about chord function.

- learn to hear it in existing music.

- utilize it.
shred is gaudy music
Introducing a creative melody can make any set of chords more interesting.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I REALLY don't know a lot bout chord progressions but follow your ear for example:if I play an Amaj, I continuously play until I figure out where I wanna go next(the chord I wanna hear next) instead of going I-IV-V, I-IV-I-V, I-IV-V-IV, I-I-IV-V etc.
Last edited by poisonousmetal at Dec 23, 2011,
like alan said, melodies really can bring out the chord progression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjEiOu9Bkuk

this (the main riff) is a really simple 4-position progression but clever melodies and rhythm makes it seem a lot bigger and a lot more interesting.
modes are a social construct
Quote by gothblade
I agree with this but what's in my head is all the same :P

Need more theory and experience first before I attempt that again.

It's not about having more theory - it's about developing your ear.

When you can hear and understand inverted chord progressions when somebody plays them, you'll be able to think of them. WIthout the ear training, you're just applying stuff blindly.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Learn theory including voice leading.

+1. TS, with good voice leading, which will come about by knowledge of chord inversions, you can make the humble triad sound fantastic.