im guessing these are shit but never heard one. they go for around £120 on gumtree. are they like the an older mg?
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
i dont think they are any older than the mg's. Ive been curious myself u can find one here for $150ish as well but i've been told by other members of the board that its not the best amp.
thatll be why they clutter the full of gumtree then. every page, people selling avt's and 4x12s for £150
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
whats the deal with valvestates too? theyre shit as well i guess?
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
all shit mate.

All of them.

Basically MGs with a tube section bolted on.

Whats your budget and location?

Preferred genres etc etc

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
not sure on budget, probably the money i could get from selling a line 6 spider, and me50 +£50. in fife, scotland. just really looking the now.
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
oh and i play progressive metal, classic rock, metalcore, and indie.
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
to be honest i have yet to see a decent amp with high wattage thar actually sounds nice anywhere near that price. U are seeing so many of those on classifieds prob because someone purchased one thinking the same thing u are and is no logner happy with it. Like i said i am tepted to try one out too $150 used is pretty darn good, plus u can always sell it off for the same price if u dont like it, maybe loose only a few on it.
id like to try one, just really for the speaker, id like to run an ibanez ts or mxr od into it
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by leigh596
id like to try one, just really for the speaker, id like to run an ibanez ts or mxr od into it

hit up a music store, that why the have the displays. Go try one out!!!!
they are shit and the stock speaker is also shit.

seriously.

a spider valve would be a better investment and they arent steller either.

Scracth together something like £400 and buy a 2nd hand ENGL Screamer

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
they dont sell them in any store ive been to might buy one, if it sucks then its getting sold
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
i had one for a long time. do not buy. i cannot stress this enough. it made me want to put the guitar down completely when i played through it. bought it when i was young and knew nothing about tone.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
AVTs aren't shit, and they are a huge step up from the MG series. MG is Marshall's attempt at a budget entry-level amp, the AVT range is way above that. (Even the MGs aren't as bad as people here make out - they may not be good, but they're a long way from being bad).

The trouble is, people always expect the 'Marshall sound' from any Marshall amp. You only get that from their more expensive tube amps. The AVTs may not sound the same as Marshall's tube amps, but that's because they aren't Marshall's tube amps.

All the songs on my main profile were recorded through my AVT100. No effects, no sims, nothing. Just the sound of the amp. Judge for yourself.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Dec 23, 2011,
Quote by GaryBillington
AVTs aren't shit, and they are a huge step up from the MG series. MG is Marshall's attempt at a budget entry-level amp, the AVT range is way above that. (Even the MGs aren't as bad as people here make out - they may not be good, but they're a long way from being bad).

The trouble is, people always expect the 'Marshall sound' from any Marshall amp. You only get that from their more expensive tube amps. The AVTs may not sound the same as Marshall's tube amps, but that's because they aren't Marshall's tube amps.

All the songs on my main profile were recorded through my AVT100. No effects, no sims, nothing. Just the sound of the amp. Judge for yourself.

while i completely agree with this post, my original post is still in tact. either way, i still dont know exactly what the "marshall sound" is that people rave about, i just wanted a good clear sound from it. sure, its not the worst, but you have to wrestle it to get it to sound muddy at best. and the biggest thing was that it FELT bad.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Never had to do any wrestling with mine

I guess it also depends what you're playing. The 3 channels give me all the sounds I need, the clean channel is clean, the OD1 channel has an excellent crunch to it (that's the one I use most) and the OD2 channel goes heavier than I'll ever need it to, but then I'm not into anything particularly heavy or thrashy.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
i have my boss me 50 too. i just need something that doesnt sound digital, has the feel of a tube amp but the tightness of a solid state - cheap. ill research it for a while before i invest.
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
I use an ME50 as well Only for when I need other effects though, my distortion is all done with the amp
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
the question - will it be better than my line 6? i think my shit with a broken cable would be, but whateva
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
You'd just be exchanging cat shit for dog shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by leigh596
the question - will it be better than my line 6?

I've never used the Line 6 to compare, but ignore the people who are saying AVTs are shit. In UG's reviews section, all but one model scores 9 out of 10. The other one scores 10. Proof:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=avt&search_type=reviews

For comparison, your Line 6 scores 8 out of 10.

The only real way to decide is to go to a store and try them though. Other people's opinions count for nothing, only your opinion matters.

Like I said before, if you listen to the songs on my profile you'll hear an example of what an AVT100 can sound like, but it's only an example, everyone will use a different set up and get different results from any amp.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
i had the 50 watt avt combo and i thought it was a great little solid state amp for price (used) I also owned a low end all tube marshall head an MA series. And it did not sound as good as the avt. Newer solid state amps tend to be modeling amps like the vypry and are not as good as this the avt amps. I rate this amp highly in the 100-200 dollars range. any pricier than that i would say buy something better. The one lone tube that is in the avt does seem to warm the tone slightly. I have not seen much praise or support for these amps on here. I had alot of fun playing that amp.
The Consensus is that the VS8100 is the best of the valvestates. I had one in the band room running into a magnificent Soldano 2x12 closed back cab. Not even the Soldano cab could save you from the awful grating, teeth vibrating, nail across a chalkboard sound that the loathsome piece of crap put out.
You may as well get an MG. Save your money, sell the Spider and get a nice used amp. Just put up with what you've got now and save your pennies. There are lots of good amps out there. Go have a bit of a look at Traynors to see what sort of thing you should be aiming at.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Bought one used at GC. I thought that the acoustic sim channel was blown but after reading the reviews I know that it is just the weakest link. I bought it because I had to put my 30th anniversary 6100 head in the shop (blown midi board) and wanted a stand-in for the interim. I have the 30th back now and as far as sound quality goes; there is no way to set up the AVT anywhere close to that true Marshall valve/tube sound. I have run both through a full stack and there is no comparison. The new MG30CFX combo is based on that same style of built in effects but does a better job of rendering them and is also far more portable. The AVT did ok as a stand-in but I may sell it now as it may have outlived its' usefulness.
Please check the thread post date before bumping, there was no reason to resurrect this 2 year old thread.