Lately I've been wanting some single coils. My question is this, though: should I buy a separate guitar, or should I upgrade my pickups in my SE CU22 (stock pups) to something that can coil split?

General Info:
Budget: $200
Gear: In sig
Genres: Blues, worship, rock, hard rock, metal (I need everything from cleans to br00tz)

Pickup Info:
Tone: Single coil goodness
Pups I've Considered: Dimarzio Petrucci set, Anderson H series

Guitar Info:
Preferences? - Telecaster shape with three pickups
New or Used? - I'd go used in a heartbeat.

I hope that's everything.
Thanks in advance!
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Open it up and look at the existing pups. You may be able to just replace one of the tone or volume pots with a push/pull pot and use it to split the existing pickups.
Quote by poppameth
Open it up and look at the existing pups. You may be able to just replace one of the tone or volume pots with a push/pull pot and use it to split the existing pickups.

Stock SE pickups don't have the four conductor connection. At least, not from what I've read/heard/seen.
so get 4 conductor humbuckers. it may not sound AS single coily as a proper single coil but itll sound and play 10,000,000 times better that a $200 guitar.
Quote by itamar100
so get 4 conductor humbuckers. it may not sound AS single coily as a proper single coil but itll sound and play 10,000,000 times better that a $200 guitar.

If that's the better way to go, then I will. But my question is, then, which four-conductor pups?
a seymour duncan sh-1 in the neck and a dimarzio super distortion in the bridge. ive never heard the petrucci set before though.
Buy a used squier CV or a MIM. I'd rather have a strat over a coil tapped humbucker.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Don't bother with coil taps. They don't sound like single coils and they don't sound as good as the full humbucker most of the time. It's often not as useful as you think. Just save up more and get a guitar with single coils.
Okay, so I found a used Squire Telecaster with the following:
-Duncan Designed pickups (2 single coils, which I know are DD & a mini-humbucker in the neck)
-A finish crack where the neck and body meet (on the bass side of the neck)
-A couple dings here and there (the guy said nothing serious)
-Price tag of $190 (+$10 shipping and tax)

Opinions?
I got some Lace Alumitones installed in a guitar a couple of years ago & love 'em. Their original "humbucker" and "single-coils" are essentially identical in sound, differing only in shape...giving you the best of both worlds if you split them, more or less.

Since their introduction, Lace has introduced Alumitones that are voiced more like P90s and a line called "Deathbuckers."
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Okay, so I just found out that the guitar I described a couple posts up is a Squier Vintage Modified, so there's nothing "after market" about it--it's all stock, save for the scratches/dents/crack.
Quote by bAngiel01
Okay, so I just found out that the guitar I described a couple posts up is a Squier Vintage Modified, so there's nothing "after market" about it--it's all stock, save for the scratches/dents/crack.

I'd still go with the Squier. It'll sound better than coil tapped humbuckers. And the neck might take some time to get used to. I haven't tried the VMs but I'm assuming the neck is similar to a fender tele and your prs is the wide fat profile.

But I'd go with the tele as long as the crack is only in the finish.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
I'd still go with the Squier. It'll sound better than coil tapped humbuckers. And the neck might take some time to get used to. I haven't tried the VMs but I'm assuming the neck is similar to a fender tele and your prs is the wide fat profile.

+1.

The only other thing I can suggest is getting an EMG 81TWX/89X combo in one of your PRS's. They split into true single coils, which, to the extent of my knowledge, no other pickups (besides other EMG dual mode pickups) can do. None of that crappy coil tap tone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Get some of these and put some real single coils in one of your guitars. Or just pick up a Strat or Tele.

(Invalid img) (Invalid img)

They sell them at Guitar Fetish
Quote by JKHC

The CU22 has a fatter neck than the CU24, which I prefer. Given the chance, I would have picked up a CU24 instead of a CU22, had I known anything about differing neck profiles and whatnot. I prefer the slightly thinner neck, and the Teles that I've played felt good, even if the neck was a bit wide.

Quote by Way Cool JR
Get some of these and put some real single coils in one of your guitars. Or just pick up a Strat or Tele.

Pic

They sell them at Guitar Fetish

That's actually really cool. I'd consider it because I hardly ever use my neck pup, save for some solos and stuff. I just don't want to lose the output on the neck side of things.
Last edited by bAngiel01 at Dec 23, 2011,
Now I have a new question. Because my goal with single coils is to get a nice clean tone, what if just replaced my current pickups with a higher quality, more versatile set? I don't necessarily mean a coil-splitting set, but just something that would cater well to the rock/metal genres and still provide nice, sparkly cleans.

Suggestions?
Last edited by bAngiel01 at Dec 23, 2011,