The bass player and I have had our band now for about a year now but we took a substantial break when our drummer quit. It wasn't exactly heartbreaking or anything, we were glad to be rid of him. We just couldn't find another drummer. So his other band played some shows this summer and weren't very well received, but they believe themselves to be musical prodigies. This was not the case
Finally, we found a drummer and it was magic, he syncs with us well compared to the other drummer and his skills far surpass them. I don't know why but for some reason this has instilled hatred in this other band. They have been stealing shows from us and getting people to unlike our band on facebook. They have about 110 more likes than us which I guess isn't saying much to our 60-something. Likes aren't something I necessary care about but I think we all get a nice feeling when the count goes up; of course this brings a worse feeling when the inverse is true.
I'll admit I can get easily irritated. I have tried to stay calm but these kids have been attacking us in personal statuses and other things. I have a theory behind this though. A lot of people told them that their EP was terrible and our one song on Facebook has been much more well received. I'm not saying our song is any better, but I think that fact that it was received more positively caused Jealousy.
I've been ignoring it but recently it's getting more annoying. We're almost positive that our next show they're all going to come with our friends and boo and heckle us, as they've talked about it on twitter and the such. Do I keep ignoring it or retaliate? I just dunno.

TL;DR Our band is being heckled severely by another band, retaliate or no?

Here's my band if you're curious
Cacophony
and here's their old page
More Davids Than Goliaths
this is their newer one with their rebranded name
Brevity
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
First off, your band sounds like Blink (I like).

I think that if you feel confident that people like your songs better then you should just call them out on it. Only do this if you are sure though.

I don't have much experience with this sort of thing though...
The best way to retaliate is to write better songs and to continually improve your skills. There will always be haters in life. Most of the time it's because they are jealous or lack the skill sets necessary to succeed. Just focus on being true to your vision and goals and you will go far. If you ignore the hecklers, they will eventually disappear. They thrive off knowing that you get upset. If you don't get upset then they will ultimately leave and find other targets.
This actually happened to a band I was in about a year and a half ago. It started out that my friend, who was a vocalist and guitarist, was introduced to a drummer looking to jam through a mutual friend they had. Not long after, they invited me on bass and were throwing the idea of a band around, and then we invited the lead guitarist blah blah.

Anyways, the drummer and lead guitarist were together in a band before that with another guitarist/vocalist, and apparently there was some bad tension there. I guess my new band had quit the other guy's band because he sounded terrible and wanted to not deal with his arrogance. So he began heckling us and what have you, especially on facebook.

Now, I'm not the type to bite into this- so I left it well enough alone. Our vocalist did get into a small tiff with him via facebook message, but nothing more than that besides the terrible vocalist trying to get people to hate us and spread rumors.

Eventually, he realized he wasn't being effective, realized he was a jackass and stopped, and even starting coming to our shows as a fan because he really did like our stuff but he was just mad and jealous. In return we went to an acoustic show of his or something and we became better friend blah blah yea

So, I say just ignore it for as long as you can unless it gets really out of hand. They'll more than likely make an ass of themselves and people will see how retarded they are.
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
Quote by billtsas
First off, your band sounds like Blink (I like).

I think that if you feel confident that people like your songs better then you should just call them out on it. Only do this if you are sure though.

I don't have much experience with this sort of thing though...

Thanks, I take that as a good thing because blink was very successful and continues to be. People say I write catchy songs. I'm more worried about doing something during the show.
Sometimes I just kind of see what they say an think of insults I could throw at them, and I believe in a show situation I would be likely to do that.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by cgilli
The best way to retaliate is to write better songs and to continually improve your skills. There will always be haters in life. Most of the time it's because they are jealous or lack the skill sets necessary to succeed. Just focus on being true to your vision and goals and you will go far. If you ignore the hecklers, they will eventually disappear. They thrive off knowing that you get upset. If you don't get upset then they will ultimately leave and find other targets.

I agree with this; pour all the energy you would've spent on running damage control into simply writing more and better songs and becoming better musicians. You'll gain more fans and more respect that way.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
The bass player and I have had our band now for about a year now but we took a substantial break when our drummer quit. It wasn't exactly heartbreaking or anything, we were glad to be rid of him. We just couldn't find another drummer. So his other band played some shows this summer and weren't very well received, but they believe themselves to be musical prodigies. This was not the case
Finally, we found a drummer and it was magic, he syncs with us well compared to the other drummer and his skills far surpass them. I don't know why but for some reason this has instilled hatred in this other band.

All this information is irrelevant, you have history, move on, no one but those involved care. It takes two to continue a fight, walk away and don't dwell on it.

"...they believe themselves to be musical prodigies. This was not the case...", which is your personal opinion. You are acting as critic towards them, you are an artist/musician, it is not your place to talk trash about other people's acts or product.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
They have been stealing shows from us and getting people to unlike our band on facebook. They have about 110 more likes than us which I guess isn't saying much to our 60-something. Likes aren't something I necessary care about but I think we all get a nice feeling when the count goes up; of course this brings a worse feeling when the inverse is true.

Facebook is a social club, not business. It is marketing that you do not have complete control over, always keep this in mind when you use "social media" sites.

How exactly are they "stealing shows"? They taking them at gun point? Are they just promoting themselves better to get the gig (they may be bad mouthing you, but people generally don't hire bands that market by saying "those guys suck, hire us")?
Quote by RealGuitarHero
I'll admit I can get easily irritated. I have tried to stay calm but these kids have been attacking us in personal statuses and other things. I have a theory behind this though. A lot of people told them that their EP was terrible and our one song on Facebook has been much more well received. I'm not saying our song is any better, but I think that fact that it was received more positively caused Jealousy.

Why do you care about them at all? This sounds like a big fight in a small pond, no one but you and them care about it. It is their EP, if it is good, tell other people about it, if it sucks (in your opinion) don't say anything about it, it is not as if the audience is not going to like your product if they like theirs, the audience can like more than one band at the same time.

In any market there are limits to your audience, face it, you are sharing an audience with a whole lot of other acts, it may make sense to work together to create shows whether you like each other or not.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
I've been ignoring it but recently it's getting more annoying. We're almost positive that our next show they're all going to come with our friends and boo and heckle us, as they've talked about it on twitter and the such. Do I keep ignoring it or retaliate? I just dunno.

Where is this show? If they are disruptive you get the venue staff to remove them from the audience (hopefully discretely). You will be booed and heckled throughout your career so get used to it, it is part of the game.

How you handle it depends on your style, some acts can survive a verbal war on stage, but remember that you are amplified, the heckler isn't. The back of the room may not realize you are arguing with a heckler at the front and just hear your side, not good. I had a guy standing in front of me telling me I was crap at the beginning of the show one night, the only people that knew it was happening was me, the bassist and a couple people standing beside the guy. It was a good gig otherwise since we are loud and just drowned him out, eventually I had one of the venue knuckle draggers remove the "patron" but honestly the other 300 or so audience members didn't even notice him. We just did a bit of "hurry up, start the next song" to drown him out. I am neither quick not good at verbal jousting, and honestly that only works in stand up comedy where quite often the hecklers just become part of the show.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
TL;DR Our band is being heckled severely by another band, retaliate or no?

Last paragraph you said you were worried about being booed and heckled at your next show, now you are saying it is already happening, which is it?
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Here's my band if you're curious
Cacophony
and here's their old page
More Davids Than Goliaths
this is their newer one with their rebranded name
Brevity

FaceBook with less than two hundred likes for everyone involved. If you had 25,000 this might be important information.
Quote by Quintex
All this information is irrelevant, you have history, move on, no one but those involved care. It takes two to continue a fight, walk away and don't dwell on it.

First off thanks for your comments and criticism. You're right about what you're saying as it doesn't matter to the bass player and I but it seems as it matters to him. Which we guess is what is causing the problems
Quote by Quintex
"...they believe themselves to be musical prodigies. This was not the case...", which is your personal opinion. You are acting as critic towards them, you are an artist/musician, it is not your place to talk trash about other people's acts or product.

I think more of this as their opinion faced with facts.

Quote by Quintex
Facebook is a social club, not business. It is marketing that you do not have complete control over, always keep this in mind when you use "social media" sites.
I do completely agree, but the problem more stems from
How exactly are they "stealing shows"? They taking them at gun point? Are they just promoting themselves better to get the gig (they may be bad mouthing you, but people generally don't hire bands that market by saying "those guys suck, hire us")?

Sort of what they're doing. We had 2 shows set up before the one on the 13th and they went to the booker and said we couldn't be trusted to preform because we haven't had a show yet. Truthfully though they have a fan basis of friends only. Most of these friends don't show up to shows and I have noticed a trend that less people are likely to show up when they play.

Quote by Quintex
Why do you care about them at all? This sounds like a big fight in a small pond, no one but you and them care about it. It is their EP, if it is good, tell other people about it, if it sucks (in your opinion) don't say anything about it, it is not as if the audience is not going to like your product if they like theirs, the audience can like more than one band at the same time.

I think it's more of a matter that they haven't said anything about our music and instead they've been attacking me and the bassist. I don't say anything negative about them, and I don't even know them personally so I guess it just bugs me. I don't say anything about their ep because frankly it isn't good.

Quote by Quintex
In any market there are limits to your audience, face it, you are sharing an audience with a whole lot of other acts, it may make sense to work together to create shows whether you like each other or not.

Our drummer is trying to set up a show in Febuary and even invited them to play to try and extend the olive branch and told us it would be a "waste of their time"
Quote by Quintex
Where is this show? If they are disruptive you get the venue staff to remove them from the audience (hopefully discretely). You will be booed and heckled throughout your career so get used to it, it is part of the game.

It's in a relatively small venue and seeing as we are the opening band for this show we really don't have any control over their removal.
Quote by Quintex
How you handle it depends on your style, some acts can survive a verbal war on stage, but remember that you are amplified, the heckler isn't. The back of the room may not realize you are arguing with a heckler at the front and just hear your side, not good. I had a guy standing in front of me telling me I was crap at the beginning of the show one night, the only people that knew it was happening was me, the bassist and a couple people standing beside the guy. It was a good gig otherwise since we are loud and just drowned him out, eventually I had one of the venue knuckle draggers remove the "patron" but honestly the other 300 or so audience members didn't even notice him. We just did a bit of "hurry up, start the next song" to drown him out. I am neither quick not good at verbal jousting, and honestly that only works in stand up comedy where quite often the hecklers just become part of the show.

This is definitely a good point and I'll keep it in mind.
Quote by Quintex
Last paragraph you said you were worried about being booed and heckled at your next show, now you are saying it is already happening, which is it?

Sorry it is the latter, I made a typo. We're not being heckled at our shows and I guess sort of being heckled over social media.
Quote by Quintex
FaceBook with less than two hundred likes for everyone involved. If you had 25,000 this might be important information.

You're right, sorry I suppose. We've been together for about two months now so I guess this is less than relevant.

We're just trying to start a band you know? We're being met with adversity for some reason from these people and it's making it difficult
Quote by barden1069
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Quote by Quintex

First off thanks for your comments and criticism. You're right about what you're saying as it doesn't matter to the bass player and I but it seems as it matters to him. Which we guess is what is causing the problems

Your welcome for the comments and please keep in mind nothing here is intended as criticism, only my opinion and how I might handle a similar situation or to make you step back and question things and think about your future actions.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Quote by Quintex

Sort of what they're doing. We had 2 shows set up before the one on the 13th and they went to the booker and said we couldn't be trusted to preform because we haven't had a show yet. Truthfully though they have a fan basis of friends only. Most of these friends don't show up to shows and I have noticed a trend that less people are likely to show up when they play.

If this is the case, when you do get a gig, be professional and prepared, prove you are the best. Your reputation with the people that matter trumps random rumour. It sounds like you have an opportunity to do this on the 13th.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Quote by Quintex

I think it's more of a matter that they haven't said anything about our music and instead they've been attacking me and the bassist. I don't say anything negative about them, and I don't even know them personally so I guess it just bugs me. I don't say anything about their ep because frankly it isn't good.

They are trying to make it personal, which will be viewed as unprofessional in most circles. You don't make people like you by trash talking someone else, this will work against them in the long run.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Quote by Quintex

Our drummer is trying to set up a show in Febuary and even invited them to play to try and extend the olive branch and told us it would be a "waste of their time"

If they want to miss opportunities, their loss. Your drummer did the correct thing in my opinion. He seems to be a third party in this, he showed some initiative and "balls" by facing this head on in a non confrontational manner (sorry, five syllable word in the morning, should be a law against that). Not much more you can do on this front really.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Quote by Quintex

It's in a relatively small venue and seeing as we are the opening band for this show we really don't have any control over their removal.

At this point, just "salt" the audience with your "fans". That means even if it is at your expense, load the audience with people you invite.

{caution, old guy rant} Many years ago when I was young, single and good looking I gave 30 tickets and free band T-shirts to a Sorority at the University I was attending and had them show up to a show we were doing at a venue outside of our usual comfort zone, we even rented a bus for them. 30 women between the ages of 18 and 23 dancing in front of you will change the direction of a hostile crowd pretty quick. The guys react to the women and their actual dates try to out do this unexpected competition, a real interesting social experiment that worked in my favour. It was a good gig and the party afterwards on the bus back to school ... yah, I will stop at this point.

This may have been an extreme response and we lost a crap ton of money on the show, but it also booked us several more gigs and the women just kept showing up cause they had fun as well, venues like acts that bring in women, it sells drinks. The young people may think they invented partying and sex, but it has been a mainstay of entertainment for a very long time.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
We're just trying to start a band you know? We're being met with adversity for some reason from these people and it's making it difficult

As much as I hate to admit it, music and being a band is more about marketing and audience perception than actually stepping up and "playing yer guitar". Younger audiences and competition are the worst environment to participate in. Unfortunately music attracts a lot of "look at me, I am important" types that tend to overshadow the "I am here to make people happy" attitude. If this situation wasn't happening, I can assure you something else would crop up for you to tackle. For the time being, your band has a common enemy that can focus you guys to prove them wrong by just being better than them musically, emotionally and professionally.
Might have been said before.. but

If they're spending that much time heckling and stealing fans on Facebook, then they're obviously threatened... Let it go.. Take the High Road... Youi'll come out on top in the end.. All the time they're spending heckling and paying attention to you means that they're not paying attention to their sound...

You can't please all of the people all of the time, so don't try... Keep working on your sound, your music and your style.. they'll burn out and Fade away..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Another reason to let it go:

People generally associate negative comments with the person who says them, rather than the person they're intended to describe. If these guys are going around talking shit about you, it'll probably bite them on the ass.

If it ever comes up in direct conversation, let your attitude be bemused bewilderment. Why would a band ever waste energy on that sort of thing? It's sort of silly, isn't it?
uh, didn't marty friedman and jason becker have a band with the same name as yours?

that would be enough to get me to not like your page
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Like most idiots in life, the best bet is to ignore them. Facebook stuff, it doesn't mean anything for either band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Just a warning, already been a famous band with the name "Cacophony".

Anyway, on the issue, happens all the time, best you can do is to rise above their antics and just do all you can to write great tunes, play loads of gigs and have fun.
(My band nearly ended up with a situation like yours, but the other band failed miserably... ).
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Just a warning, already been a famous band with the name "Cacophony".

Anyway, on the issue, happens all the time, best you can do is to rise above their antics and just do all you can to write great tunes, play loads of gigs and have fun.
(My band nearly ended up with a situation like yours, but the other band failed miserably... ).

Well we're not in it to be famous or whatever, just have fun like you said haha. We're just trying not to be deterred.
Quote by barden1069
The only thing some folks understand is a good @ss whippin'. That is, however, unfortunately illegal. So do it musically. Polish your sound till it cuts like an axe, and chop 'em down. You'll be surprised how good that feels. It's just swell............