What is the general consensus on multi-effects pedals? I was thinking of getting the digitech rp255 because all the things it has to offer. I dont really have the money to get all the pedals i want so is it a good option?

One thing i heard people not likeing is the distortion and overdrive on them but im really only wanting it for the wah, reverb, chorus, looper, and drum kits since i like the gain in my egnater tweaker.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

There are three places: "where you were", "where you are" and "where you want to be".

Story of my life
Just get it and don't worry about what they think. But get the 355 not the 255. It's not that much more money but it's a lot easier to use and does more.

It's distortion and OD will sound a lot better thru your Tweaker tweaked right than through their Spiders, MGs, and Vypyrs.

And it gives you even more options than the Tweaker by itself or $500 of individual pedals.

My 2 rigs are RP-355 thru VOX DA5 and GNX4 thru Marshall JVM 410h/1960 cab. Both amps are OK by themselves for the money I paid, but really do anything I need them to with the Digitechs. But don't expect good modulation, wah, or delay through affordable MFX.
i find they are good for experimenting with effects and can make a good tone depending onthe quality and the rest of you requiptment

i still prefer having individual pedals though for teaking my tone thought
Hey jetwash69 how do you run gnx4 with your jvm? I have a problem when I try to run my rp250 thru the front end the delay gets all distorted on the gai channels . So when I put it in the effect loop I find myself only using the delay but i wanna use the other effects on the pedal. I know some would work like time based effects but I would like the noise gate and wah and such
Whats the difference between the 255 and 350?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

There are three places: "where you were", "where you are" and "where you want to be".

Story of my life
and 355
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Story of my life
The RP255/355 have a 20 sec looper vs the RP250/350. The RP355/350 have more switch options and amp/fx models than the RP255/250.

Based on what you want I would get the Zoom G3 and put it in the amp's loop. You'll need a $30 M-Audio EX-P expression pedal to go with it. BTW, you can get good distortion and OD from multifx if you know what you are doing. You can even just plug into the FX return and skip the preamp. I know you'll lose the Tweaker's tweakability. But I have a Tweaker and that doesn't bother me.
The g3 and expression pedal are a bit out of my price range. I can find the rp355 for about $100 used and since its a christmas gift, i hate asking my dad for anything more expensive.

Also one of the things i was interested in the most is how good is the wah effect on one of these because thats one of the main effects i want along with reverb
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Story of my life
The RP355 is a good choice. Adjust the mix/max range on the expression pedal to get the best sound.
Quote by jose1216
Hey jetwash69 how do you run gnx4 with your jvm? I have a problem when I try to run my rp250 thru the front end the delay gets all distorted on the gai channels . So when I put it in the effect loop I find myself only using the delay but i wanna use the other effects on the pedal. I know some would work like time based effects but I would like the noise gate and wah and such

I just plug it in to the instrument input. I tried the FX loop a couple of times; didn't notice much difference and it wasn't worth lugging around the extra cables.

I mainly use it on the crunch channel with the orange gain stage. I haven't tweaked it for the high gain channels. Usually I use that rig for garage rock/punk/blues so that gets me what I need.

As for delay, I haven't been pleased with the delay effects on either of my Digitechs, but I do use it effectively on both for a cover ofBlood Red Shoes "Boring By the Sea"... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-6KA-z5i9k (first couple and last couple of measures.) Sorry, no samples available of what it sounds like on my rigs.

You might want to set up a patch for delay w/no stomp or amp/cab modeling. You can program the GNX4 to control all that and more within 1 patch, but not the RP-355 or lower. Maybe the RP-500 or RP-1000 can handle that.

I don't recommend RP-355 or lower for live use if you want to change tones through the show and turn on/off different FX.

As for the Zoom G3, it looks promising and getting an expression pedal sure would make it better. Haven't gotten to play w/one yet.

I like my pre-amp better than my power amp, but the JVM is the only tube amp I have much experience messing around like that with, so it may be very different with other amps. I like the pre-amp enough that sometimes I record straight from the line out and don't even turn on the power amp. I haven't tried that live yet, though.
Quote by -Kr0n1c-
The g3 and expression pedal are a bit out of my price range. I can find the rp355 for about $100 used and since its a christmas gift, i hate asking my dad for anything more expensive.

Also one of the things i was interested in the most is how good is the wah effect on one of these because thats one of the main effects i want along with reverb

Sorry to report that wah on all the Digitechs might be disappointing. First, the v-switch is a pain to dial in the right sensitivity, and the setting doesn't stick on my RP-355. Then, it's just not a satisfying wah tone and you can't tweak it much.

I've resigned myself to staying away from wah until I have enough disposable income for a rackmount wah like Kirk Hammet uses. But that's $600 so it's going to be a long, long time. Maybe something better/cheaper will come along before that (or it already exists and I'll find it)
If you are just starting out, the one you have is great. You get to mess around with every pedal and amp model out there and get the feel for the expression pedal. When you are ready to upgrade you'll have a better idea of what you like and dont like and how everything works.
I personally don't see anything wrong with them at all. I used a Digitech RP-50 for over 10 years before I recently upgraded to a RP-70 which my wife bought me as a early X-Mas present. The thing with them is, you have to have a lot of patience and a good ear when it comes to programming your own presets.
Line 6 M9 would be the one to get if you only wanted pedals and not amp/cab sims. They also make the M5 which is a little smaller/less FX's and the M9 which is the best one, but more expensive also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've been using multi fx since the rp1 days. HERE'S THE DEAL. multi effects are, for the most part, good units. But you have to really get some time in with them and really tweak it to just what you want. I would compare it to the tube vs. Solid state fiasco. I think you can get great tones from solid state, you just have to spend time finding them, unlike a tube amp, where you can turn it on and fumble around with the knobs and wherever they land, there will be SOME use for that tone. It's the same with multi effects. You have to put your time into them. Find a patch you think is closest to what you want, and go in and edit it until your happy. The only thing I would tell you about digitech is that it has some pretty harsh sounding frequencies in they're units. The boss multi units are probably The all around best bang for The Buck. The presets and fx are on a whole other level than the rest in my opinion. I currently use a pod xt live, I would use my boss but I get a better distortion out of my pod. If you only want the fx, I would seriously consider boss. And if you are playing out, boss is very much so the most durable units out there. Pod fx are kinda bland and crappy, no comparison to the cosm fx in boss. But like I said, my unit is used for it's distortion mainly.
You'll really like the effects in the rp355.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Really wish they sold these things without all the amp simulation on em. To me its like, they put all the energy into modeling amps and getting a really good signal to record with directly out of the amp. Which is cool by all means but where is the affordable option for those who do not need amp sim and just want cheap pedals. <-- Theres the answer. Pedals...
With my boss me-70 which now is sold, the modulation was good but the distortion was crap, because everything in there happens digitally, and overdrive is just not an effect for digital.
The boss gt series is pretty good when it comes to effects. Distortion isn't great. But you can mess around for days on the crazy presets they have for delays and reverbs, phasers , flange... its all there, and sounds really solid. They try to say all the boss stomp boxes are built in but theyre wrong. They dont sound as good as the individual boss stompers. I tested that with the matal zone preset and my actual metal zone box. Was not the same by any means. But the delays and chorus' sound great. Wah is great too. Cosm really does a good job creating useable patches.