Today, I went to my locas guitar shop, the one where I purched my first and only guitar, my Squier SE special strat that came with the pack. I was planning on getting/getting gifted a new guitar for Christmas. It was me and my mom there, and the guy who worked there, who happened to be the one who set me up with my first guitar, showed me and let me play 3 guitars he thought I would be interested in.

First was the Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat.
Honestly, I had my mind set on getting a Fender, but I though "I'll give it a try" I was pleasantly impressed. The CV played and sounded MUCH better that my SE strat, and it was beautiful. The cleans were nice and crisp, and the guy told me that there isn't a BIG difference in quality between the CV and the Fender American Standard. I believed him, but i've never really played an Authentic Fender before. I wouldn't be upset if I had just gotten that right away, but that wouldn't be right.

Next was the Squier Thinline Telecaster. It, in my opinion, was aight. It didnt sound much different from the strat, but I was playing moderately loud on the clean channel on a tube amp with all of the guitars I tryed out, so I couldn't differentiate much. It sounded airy, like everyone said semi-hollows do, and i'm not sure if thats my thing.

Finally, I tryed out the Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster. The employee said that I might just fall in love with the clean sound of it. I think I did. It just sounded so clear-much clearer than any guitar I've ever played. It looked beautiful in the butterscotch blonde finish it was in, and the tone knobs allowed tonal differences from clear cleans to jazzy-jangly sounding cleans. It was in my mind all day.

Of all of those, I think the real competition is between the Jazzmaster and the CV. I just wanted to know, would a Fender be even a better experience than what I played today? Is it worth the extra 100-200 dollars? Please tell your opinion and any other info you have to share.
What should matter is if you're pleased with the guitar or not. Who cares what's on the headstock as long as you enjoy playing it.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
What should matter is if you're pleased with the guitar or not. Who cares what's on the headstock as long as you enjoy playing it.

+1000
I'd suggest you go and play some Mexican and American Fenders just so you can make a more informed decision. However, don't get caught up with the brand-names, treat all guitars equally. Find the one that you like best and then ask yourself "is it worth the price?". After all, you're the one that's going to be playing it, and you're the one paying for it.

PS.
Personally I'd go for the Jazzmaster, gotta love those beefed up single coils.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
Last edited by BlindNematode at Dec 23, 2011,
Classic Vibes is amazing! I've got the Tele 50's model, and its easily as good as my Fender classic player 50's strat in terms of playability and build quality at only half the price! If you dont care about which label is on the headstock, the Classic Vibes are excellent!

Plus you can change the pickups to something amazing and it would still be cheaper than a fender.
Current gear:
Fender Road Worn 60's Strat
Hohner SE35
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele
Yahama FG730S
Marshall Class 5
Last edited by Tobyflyr at Dec 23, 2011,
The classic vibe is a great budget guitar. It's not an American Strat (made me laugh when you quoted the sales guy) but it's not trying to be. It's a cool guitar in it's own right.
Quote by Strats&Cats
The classic vibe is a great budget guitar. It's not an American Strat (made me laugh when you quoted the sales guy) but it's not trying to be. It's a cool guitar in it's own right.

True it is not an american strat, but easily comparable/superior to the low- to mid-end mexi strats.
Current gear:
Fender Road Worn 60's Strat
Hohner SE35
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele
Yahama FG730S
Marshall Class 5
Honestly i think the classic vibe is great for its price but IMO a mexi has a better chance of being good. This is IMO. I have played Both a 50's tele CV and Mexi standard side to side and Mexi did it for me. Same with the 50's strat and Mexi counterpart. I perhaps have not discovered what is so great about these CV's. I found them okay and decent for the price but they didn't beat the Mexi's IMO. Some are better and some are worse but i dont think all the CV's are consistently better.

But if you wanna get the CV and drop some new pups in it that could be cool.
They are good guitars for their price, that's all.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Great for the price, but they're not Fenders for a reason. Don't let the great reviews mislead you.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
If you liked the Jazzmaster, try to find a J Mascis one, as it has more correct Jazzmaster features than the VM one.

Also, I'd recommend looking at the CV Telecasters, both the 50s one, made out of pine, and the 60s one which is one of the best looking guitars south of $400.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi