i was just wondering what you all think is out there on the SS side of the world. i would like to keep this non-modeling. what i am really looking for is somewhat monumental whether it be its unique tone, artist that used them, etc. NOT posting a Frontman 15 because it sounds good to you. so i am thinking more on the professional musician's gear.

here a few off the top of my head

Ampeg VH140C
Roland JC 60/120
Randall RG100ES
Rangall Century 200
Randall Warhead
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Vox Pathfinder.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
DOn't forget the Crate GX-130. Fantastic metal amp if you ahve ears yo dial out nast and the right cabinet. It really is just a VH-140 evolution though.

Strandel put out a solid state amp that came in a combo with 2x12 or 2x15 I don't remember. If you wanna hear it, listen to The Lovin' Spoonfuls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o89iKsKw19M

SOmeone find out the model number I had it on a slip in mah pocket cause I ALMOST boguth it, but didn't care enough. I need tubez

EDITit: Chuck Schuldiner used the Marshall Valvestate 8100 later on in life I guess. It might be considered hybrid, but since it's the preamp, not the power amp, that is tubes, I consider it SS.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Dec 23, 2011,
Quote by Eppicurt
Vox Pathfinder.

definitely agree. i was at kind of an odd gig once, it was done in an old theater and i didn't care for the venue or the music, my girlfriend at the time dragged me there. but it was like a soft-rock indie kind of stuff i think? i don't really know how to describe it. the interesting thing was that the band had 6 (six) vox pathfinders on stage and somehow got the tremolo built into the amps to kind of match but not really, it was a really cool and kind of trippy. it was honestly probably the best tone i have ever heard in a local band in that kind of genre on the same "level" as far as getting better gigs more common making a little bit more money.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
There is the Gibson LAB as well...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
There is the Gibson LAB as well...

never heard of that one, who played it?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
never heard of that one, who played it?

BB King, if I'm not mistaken.

Don't forget the Roland Jazz Chorus. And I feel like the Retro Channel RR1 will be on a list like this someday. It's pretty awesome.

Also the Vox Super Beatle, as used by the Velvet Underground.

EDIT: Wow, how could I have forgotten my first amp? Kustom! Kustom amps, made in the 60s, just the coolest things. Germanium transistors and output transformers gave them a really warm, thick, tube-ish sound, not to mention the coolness factor of the tuck-n-roll exterior. John Fogerty, Waylon Jennings, Sheryl Crow, the Carpenters, and the Jackson Five used them, among others.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Dec 23, 2011,
Marshall Mosfet LEAD 100
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
Pritchard Amps are arguably the best solid-state guitar amps in existence. The guy is a certified genius (he's got a stack of U.S. and Foreign Patents to prove it) and his amplifiers are first-rate in every respect. Unfortunately, they are ridiculously expensive and they are practically built to order so they aren't easy to come by. You can get a Mesa Mark V for the price of a Pritchard Sword of Satori. But if you're after the ultimate in solid-state guitar amps, they're the way to go.

http://www.pritchardamps.com/pritchardamps.cfm
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I have a Pritchard (Black Daggar) being shipped to me this coming Wednesday. Can't wait... his stuff sounds tube, but with a tighter bottom end (clearer). His amps include more tonal control than tubes, you can unhook it from the speaker and run a line direct for recording (if you don't want to mic it, etc.). They are expensive, but each is hand-wired and built... true boutique and never a tube to replace.
Quote by logicbdj
I have a Pritchard (Black Daggar) being shipped to me this coming Wednesday. Can't wait... his stuff sounds tube, but with a tighter bottom end (clearer). His amps include more tonal control than tubes, you can unhook it from the speaker and run a line direct for recording (if you don't want to mic it, etc.). They are expensive, but each is hand-wired and built... true boutique and never a tube to replace.

They're alright if you ask me. Defiantly some of the best SS amps out there. Never really wow'ed me though. They just don't have that magic response that tubes give.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Don't forget the Roland Jazz Chorus. And I feel like the Retro Channel RR1 will be on a list like this someday. It's pretty awesome.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
here a few off the top of my head

Ampeg VH140C
Roland JC 60/120
Randall RG100ES
Rangall Century 200
Randall Warhead

err...
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Dec 23, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
marshall mg100dfx
BEST AMP EVER.
As shitty as it is, Wayne Static supposedly used them (I think he just endorsed it and used his Valvestates instead), as did one of Rob Zombie's guitarists. So I guess it can be considered as a "notable" solid state amp.
^it's a modeler with facilitated by a ss preamp and power section.

311 did this a while back, it's awesome. around page 6 there was a huge debate on whether hybrid amps were considered SS or whether modelers were hybrids and whether they belong.

in the end it was decided to note all modelers and hybrids in their own categories, but to include them as 'non-tube' amps.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1370758&highlight=311+artist

he focused more on the artists that used non-tube amps.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Fender 60's Solid State Twin?

EDIT: Also, Sunn Amps.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Dec 23, 2011,
My friend told me a bunch of 90s bands used Yamaha JX series amps. I don't really believe it though.
Quote by jpatan
err...

Saw that right after I posted. Too lazy to change it.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by AcousticMirror
all of the big music mans.

I believe they were hybrids, like this Music Man HD-130:

I've heard good things about the Tech21 Trademark 60. Sounds good from the demo's I've heard.
311: a lot of the bands you ahve in that SS amps that bands used thing is wrong!!!!!!

Schuldiner used a VH-140 early and Marshall Valvestate later
Decapitated used a Warhead, not the Ampeg
Suffocation actually used the Ampeg SS150

Just saying...
ok throw rock at me .. but Marshall's solid state ( not valvestate ) from the early 80's .. more specifically the "solid state jcm 800" like the 5210 were very decent .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-1U6c8lmTc

the overdrive /gain demo is at 4:15 in the video .. i think this is very good distortion sound . not too harsh

although back in the day everyone seem to hate them .. but thats the 80's , nobody cared for a 1x12 combo .

In the 80's if you were taller than your amp , you werent cool !!

but IMO good sounding amp .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Dec 23, 2011,
The Vox Super Beatle is SS and was used by The Beatles, and Page may/may not have used one once.

Hughes and Kettner made an SS amp a while back called the Zentera, it's pretty good too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Line 6 Spider series

Notable for being absolutely amazing until you realize they sound like bit-crushed flatulence in a tunnel.
Quote by Raijouta
The Vox Super Beatle is SS and was used by The Beatles, and Page may/may not have used one once.

Hughes and Kettner made an SS amp a while back called the Zentera, it's pretty good too.

i'm not sure but i think the beatles may have used it on the white album and only the white album - on revolver, sgt pepper and magical mystery tour it was mostly the hybrid UL7120, which was a similar preamp to the super beatle but had an all-tube power amp. interesting and very distinctive tone though.

Still, it's noteworthy as an early "signature" amp.

i'd just about consider the HH IC100 a noteworthy solid state amp because it sort of unofficially became marc bolan's signature amp. i have one, and it's a strange thing, looks like a prop from a '70s episode of doctor who or something, but has a very distinctive tone you can't really describe as a "nice" tone but there are certain applications where it works very well. it's also good for use with pedals into the clean channel, in the same sort of way that a roland jazz chorus is, only less classy
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
The Sunn Coliseum Lead was quite the solid-state amplifier back in the early 1970s. Damn loud, too:

Fender Princeton anyone?
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
Guys. Never ever ever ever ever quote spam.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
The Randall Cyclone, it was used on Soilwork's Figure Number Five, and I've thought that album had definitely a 5150 scooped to death. I was wrong, the tone on that album is all out ball-crushing.

The valvestate 8100 is instant late Death guitar tone. In Flames used it with a Boss HM-2 in front of the clean channel on the first three albums.

Ampeg VH-140C is the trademark amp for Dying Fetus' tone. I was actually considering buying one for my brutal death/goregrind needs, but the guy was selling it for around 1300 euros, that's a total ripoff imo.

As far as I know, Kirk Windstein from Crowbar and Down uses a Randall RM100 with a Metal Zone used as a boost. Talking about Randalls, they are hybrid but its noteworthy to check out V2 and T2 heads, kinda dark but very nice tones could be achieved with those.

I do not have an idea about its own tonal characteristics, but At The Gates used a HM-2 and a MT-2 in front of the Peavey Supreme 160, I wonder how the distortion from the amp itself sounds like.

The Peavey XXL is pretty nice too, not sure if hybrid or fully SS though.

Well not a solid state amp, but you could also try the Tech-21 PSA 1 in conjunction with a SS power amp, that would pretty much nail the late Hypocrisy guitar tone, especially the one in Catch 22.

I saw a JC120 for like 300 bucks over here in Turkey, though I lacked the funds to go right at it, and it was sold like in a day or two, I cried my insides out.

I think these are pretty much the ones that are noteworthy, other than the ones already mentioned.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
Quote by FatalGear41
The Sunn Coliseum Lead was quite the solid-state amplifier back in the early 1970s. Damn loud, too:

that sure does look familiar even though i never heard of it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
late 60s Acoustic amps. these had a head that was a preamp with a couple of built in fx. the bottoms had the power amp section in them and the distinctive horn. you could plug a single head into several bottoms for a massive sound. used by the Doors live and Blue Oyster Cult in their very early days and i belive Frank Marino (who did use the Sunn Colosium already mentioned for a better bottom end along with some tube amps).
Marshall MG100HDFX (Troll face)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Half-Stack (SERIOUS TROLL FACE)

OT:
-Vox AD100VTH
-Kustom Quad 200 Head
Quote by monwobobbo
late 60s Acoustic amps. these had a head that was a preamp with a couple of built in fx. the bottoms had the power amp section in them and the distinctive horn. you could plug a single head into several bottoms for a massive sound. used by the Doors live and Blue Oyster Cult in their very early days and i belive Frank Marino (who did use the Sunn Colosium already mentioned for a better bottom end along with some tube amps).

yeah, those were the really big acoustic setups. they also had smaller ones, like the 150 series. i had a '68 156 (150b head, with a 2x15 106 cabinet), pretty beast bass setup. i have an early 70's acoustic 270 now (zappa fame), built in fuzz and reverb. nice amps.

old sunn beta leads were used by a number of artists, most notably mr. cobain.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Myaccount876
Marshall MG100HDFX (Troll face)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Half-Stack (SERIOUS TROLL FACE)

OT:
-Vox AD100VTH
-Kustom Quad 200 Head

i am letting this run free, but how do you consider a Vox modeling amp being notable? i am referring to amps that were used by artists that had good tone with it, or being that it was a revolution.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am letting this run free, but how do you consider a Vox modeling amp being notable? i am referring to amps that were used by artists that had good tone with it, or being that it was a revolution.

Well, I can't think of any artists using it, nut it wasn't bad and still had a Vox sound to it