There are many different types of "big frets" on the market. I have taller and thicker ones on my Ibanez and medium sized on my Gibson. Bending seems to be a little lighter on those big frets, but I think it's just me. It's all personal preferences.
Big frets basically just take away the amount of pressure needed to push the string down. Really tall/thick frets would make a fretboard feel as though it has been scalloped. They're not only for shredders (although shredders usually favour them). It just depends on how much pressure you want to put down.
West Ham United
Taller. The tall frets are used for increased sustain, easier bending and require a lighter touch to actually fret the note. With taller frets you wont even touch the fretboard.
Someone can pipe in with more info I'm sure.
As others have said, "big" is a relative term. Stevie Ray Vaughan refretted at least one of his Strats with the largest bass frets that Dunlop made at the time. That's a bit extreme, unless you use the telephone cables he used for strings.

Take a look at this for a comparison:

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/FretSize.aspx
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Jumbo frets mean less resistance is needed when doing vibrato. But that's the only significant difference. It doesn't make the guitar play faster or anything. I actually don't like excessively large fretwires as the guitar feels too disconnected from my fingers ans slows me down.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by FatalGear41
As others have said, "big" is a relative term. Stevie Ray Vaughan refretted at least one of his Strats with the largest bass frets that Dunlop made at the time. That's a bit extreme, unless you use the telephone cables he used for strings.

Take a look at this for a comparison:

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/FretSize.aspx

Would'nt 13 Gauge strings in standerd really screw up your guitar?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Dr Sixstring

Not necessarily, modern "normal-size" strings only got popular in the late 60s. In the forties, fifties and early sixties, it was much more common to see .13s and .12s on electric guitars than .10s or .09s. Remember, electric guitars were still mostly used as amplified acoustics and were rarely used for lead playing until the mid fifties, and even then it was quick solos in lieu of horn players.

The Jazzmaster and the Jaguar of the early sixties were actually designed to use heavier gauge strings (.11s and .12s) because the increased tension held the strings in their saddles.

It wasn't really until Hendrix that smaller gauges and an increase in soloing and lead playing when smaller gauges started to become more common.

EDIT: incidentally, this also coincided with an increase in fret size.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Dec 23, 2011,
Quote by kangaxxter
Not necessarily, modern "normal-size" strings only got popular in the late 60s. In the forties, fifties and early sixties, it was much more common to see .13s and .12s on electric guitars than .10s or .09s. Remember, electric guitars were still mostly used as amplified acoustics and were rarely used for lead playing until the mid fifties, and even then it was quick solos in lieu of horn players.

The Jazzmaster and the Jaguar of the early sixties were actually designed to use heavier gauge strings (.11s and .12s) because the increased tension held the strings in their saddles.

It wasn't really until Hendrix that smaller gauges and an increase in soloing and lead playing when smaller gauges started to become more common.

EDIT: incidentally, this also coincided with an increase in fret size.

So you could get a guitar setup for 13's in standerd? Wow.

Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by Dr Sixstring

Don't forget he tuned down half a step to Eb.

Still ridiculously hard to play 13.s on a strat, especially the way he played.

Listen to Scuttle Buttin'. That was on a Strat with 13s and he was only tuned down half a step.

Then again his common staple drink at one point was whiskey with cocaine dissolved in it.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Yeah, Eb would make it easier.

Digitech Bad Monkey

Easier to fret. Being tall, there's also a con: easier to bend out of tune by putting too much pressure on it.

Someone with a light touch might benefit from them. My fingers barely even touch my rosewood fingerboard.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I'm not a fan of huge frets. I tend to press hard enough that my notes go sharp, plus it makes it harder to slide up and down the board. They're like speed bumps sometimes.
Quote by Dr Sixstring

that's what the truss rod is for. there are some guitars that don't need you to have any tension at all from the truss rod until you're using a gauge as heavy as 12s or 13s in standard tuning.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Ive got jumbo frets and a thick neck on my baja tele. The frets are certainly taller but still comfortable to play.