Zoom G3
7 39%
Zoom G2.1nu
0 0%
Digitech RP255
3 17%
Voters: 18.
Hey all!
I figured for the very few effects that i use but will use, i should get a small MFX unit for that. I rarely use effects, but id like to have them for creating new textures and such. Effects such as phasers, flangers, delay, maybe wah, pitch bend, synth whatever. Anyways what i'm looking for is something like the following:
Line 6 M5
Zoom g3
Zoom G2.1nu
Digitech RP255
which of the following is best? or any other suggestions? thanks! i play post-hardcore, and blues
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
Easily the zoom g3. Only the line 6 m5 competes with it in terms of sound but the line 6 has way fewer options.
Line 6 is the only thing on that list that sounds remotely usable in any kind of professional/semi-professional, "good tone" settings. I go into studios and see M13s and HD500s not Zooms lolol
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
Zoom pedals are not TERRIBLE... They're cheap, and sound ok. If money is tight, go with the zoom. I used to have an OLD zoom MFX pedal (like from the mid 90's), and the thing was a pile of cheap plastic shit. Not sure if the newer models are constructed any better. Had to re-solder the output jack every couple months because the way it was designed caused the weight of the cable to stress the connection to the PCB.

If you're gigging I'd go with something a bit more rugged. If it's just for home use, maybe go to a store and demo a couple and see which ones you like best?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Out of them all, probably the Digitech or the M5.

I'd say go an RP355 or a Pod HD 300, I'm sure if you looked used you can find a good deal.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
The Zoom haters don't know what they are talking about. While the M5 sounds good mine's not reliable. I have one and it's flaky. And I've seen reports of others having flaky units. The sound of the G3 is very good. I also have one of them and it would be my pick.

If you got a reliable M5, it would fit your requirements. But I would still rather have the G3.
I'd get the g3. It has better effects than the rp255 IMO.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
So if I were to buy the G3, would I be able to bypass the amp sims? Same with the rp255 and the G2.1nu. I asked a dude at my local music store and he said the g3 and the g2.1nu were the same just one has an expression pedal and the other has bigger led screens.

I'm also looking at factors such as ease of use, portability and reliability. Anyone know the materials these are made of?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Save up and get a TC Electronic Nova System.

...but if you really under no circumstances can do that, get the M5 out of all of those. As someone else said, professionals use the Line 6 M series, including Alex Lifeson of Rush. Also get an Ernie Ball VP Jr. 25k to use as an expression pedal for wah's and shit.

The only thing I don't like about the M's is that the chorus features on it are terrible, but I figured out a way around it. PM me if you would like to know how (so I don't hijack the thread).
Quote by Dr.Tong
So if I were to buy the G3, would I be able to bypass the amp sims? Same with the rp255 and the G2.1nu. I asked a dude at my local music store and he said the g3 and the g2.1nu were the same just one has an expression pedal and the other has bigger led screens.

I'm also looking at factors such as ease of use, portability and reliability. Anyone know the materials these are made of?
The guy at the music store doesn't know what he's talking about. The G3 and the G2.1u aren't the same at all.

The G3 is modeled after three separate stomp boxes. Any of the effects can be assigned to any of the 3 stomps. The G3 also has a 40 sec loop that can be synced to an internal drum machine. The G3 has a cast metal case and is very solid construction.

These is no need to use an amp model in the G3. You don't "bypass" it, you just pick something else to put in the slot for that stomp.

Several of the songs in my link below were done with the G3 recorded direct into a handheld recorder (Baldwin Park, Some Bird, Jelly Jam, Orange Chimera, Bug Walk, and Outta Town). All used the G3's looper and drum machine.
is the m5 quality and sound so much better that the fact that you can only use one effect worth it? not being biased, just wondering because thats one of the downsides i noticed.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
if you dont want the amp sims and dont need anything out front and you have an effects loop, look into a TC Elecronics G Major or G Major 2 they sound way better IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
no effects loop
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
If you're looking for ease of use and reliability, M5 all the way. I'm personally a bit biased, but I've never had a good experience with Zoom pedals, whereas my M13 has seen plenty of life and is still going strong. However, I will warn you, you might be tempted to upgrade to the M9 once you see what all it can do. Maybe save up some more and look into finding a used M9?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
if i were to go more expensive, how do the TC Nova and HD300 compare?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong

Don't get a POD if you won't be using the amp modeling, just my two cents. It'll just be extra clutter. (However, if you could see yourself using it at any point, I believe the POD has all the same effects the M5/M9/M13 does, can someone confirm this?)
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by Dr.Tong
As souperman said, don't get a Pod if you aren't using the modeling and need only effects. The HDs are great but not worth the extra trouble.

I used to share the Line 6 M9 with my dad until I got my Nova Sys. Even my dad admits that my Nova System is superior to his M9. It doesn't have all the extra goodies like stompbox modeling, a looper, or wah models, but it sounds more organic, less digital, has better distortion/drive, and the individual effects are FAR more flexible, some almost being too flexible. It's also better made than the M's, should take a good beating.

Though if you can't afford to save up for the Nova the Line 6 M5 would be the best of your options, M9 is better for more money.
So it seems the Line 6 is the favourable choice? Although I really like how you can have 3 effects at the same time with the Zoom. i shouldve mentioned earlier, distortions don't matter because i already have a tubescreamer.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
So it seems the Line 6 is the favourable choice? Although I really like how you can have 3 effects at the same time with the Zoom. i shouldve mentioned earlier, distortions don't matter because i already have a tubescreamer.

are we reading the same thread? you have multiple people telling you to not bother with line 6 unless you want the amp sims. you have not stated if you need them or not but i am thinking you will not be using them for some reason . TC products are superior to any line 6 effects unit i have heard at least generation v. generation.

if you are going to do the m6, m9, etc thing line 6 may be more of what you are needing,so that may be the choice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
are we reading the same thread? you have multiple people telling you to not bother with line 6 unless you want the amp sims. you have not stated if you need them or not but i am thinking you will not be using them for some reason . TC products are superior to any line 6 effects unit i have heard at least generation v. generation.

if you are going to do the m6, m9, etc thing line 6 may be more of what you are needing,so that may be the choice.
Have you even used the M series? They don't even have amp sims. They're bare-boned muliti-effects processors, nothing like the Pods with the amp modeling.

I do agree that TC Electronic is better, though.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Have you even used the M series? They don't even have amp sims. They're bare-boned muliti-effects processors, nothing like the Pods with the amp modeling.

I do agree that TC Electronic is better, though.

i am aware that the M's dont have amp sims, and i think i recall hearing that they had the same effects as the PODs, as somebody else mentioned. i have played with a HD500 for a while and that is also where some of my experience goes with line 6's effects.

as far as the M series i messed around with one for a while, but certainly did not fully explore its potential.

my main point that TC is better. i haven't had the chance to play a G maj 2, but i tried the original and it was awesome. i haven't heard anything on the G maj 2 that wasn't improved on the original version. i have also had great experiences with TC's other products.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
unfortunately, i cant afford the TC as much as i'd love it, i can't afford it.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
unfortunately, i cant afford the TC as much as i'd love it, i can't afford it.

check PM's i found one for a good price on ebay, i dont post links on open forums because it is frowned upon. i PM's you the link.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Line 6 is the only thing on that list that sounds remotely usable in any kind of professional/semi-professional, "good tone" settings. I go into studios and see M13s and HD500s not Zooms lolol

dot.

epic. ****ing. dot.
yes please PM it, so it's that much better that i should look to buy used?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
yes please PM it, so it's that much better that i should look to buy used?

it should already be in your inbox, FYI PM's go through the profile side of UG, click on the yellow button that says profile at the top right of the page.

they don't make the first G-maj at all, there is a newer model, the G-maj 2. it is more expensive and has a few more bells and whistles on it, but the first model still sounds great. they are quite a bit cheaper, but there are used G-maj 2's on ebay as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by fly135
Make sure you price in a midi floor controller with that TC.

yeah thats the kicker :/ which kinda blows, cuz those arent too cheap.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Eppicurt
Out of them all, probably the Digitech or the M5.

I'd say go an RP355 or a Pod HD 300, I'm sure if you looked used you can find a good deal.

This
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
I like Digitech. RP255 is decent. I wouldn't go any lower in the digitech product line.

I love the 88 Soldano amp emulation. My RP500 has it, and so does the RP255. But I'm an 80's guy, so I use either the Soldano or a JCM2000 almost entirely in my sound lineup.

I can't speak to the other units.
Quote by cheapr2keepr
I like Digitech. RP255 is decent. I wouldn't go any lower in the digitech product line.

I love the 88 Soldano amp emulation. My RP500 has it, and so does the RP255. But I'm an 80's guy, so I use either the Soldano or a JCM2000 almost entirely in my sound lineup.

I can't speak to the other units.

Is it easier to get tones you like out of the rp500 than it is out of the rp255? How much does the additional amp eq in the rp500 do to your tone?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Dec 29, 2011,