I made my first attempt of writing Symphonic Black Metal with a friend, I feel that it's quite good yet I think more could be added to raise momentum.
Tips would be appreciated.
(the file was to big for an attachment) http://www.sendspace.com/file/h0q0a3 (that's it here) (Updated).
The ending is a lot different to the feel of the song but it is suppose to be a theatrical sort of story I guess (obviously when lyrics are done it would make more sense)
Last edited by thewillmeister1 at Dec 25, 2011,
It sounds absolutely terrible.

Some melody parts are good, everything else is pretty much terrible, and I absolutely don't mean it sound so brootalz that I don't like it, I mean it literally sounds terrible, especially the drums.
Last edited by Zeletros at Dec 23, 2011,
i thought it'd be awful when i saw drop A, but as usual i disagree with zeletros

obviously guitar-pro isn't the best way to know how something will sound but this actually pretty damn good. not insanely original, but if it was produced correctly it'd actually sound pretty great, there are times where it really feels Fleshgod-y.

however, there are times when you recycle phrases that really don't need to be. when you go back to the drone part at 52 it's kind of a forced return, same with the fast piano melody. black metal traditionally is more of an "organic" style of writing, where you don't return to themes very often and let the music grow over time. this would be much better if you just cut everything post-52 and thematically referenced the song as it continues to morph the concept of the song. it cuts a significant amount of time from the piece, but it also helps you write more over time because there's not a "logical" ending point really. that's how black metal, esp DSBM-style, produces so many 8+ minute long songs that don't feel dragged. i was disappointed when you took that climax, it was such a great point, then dropped back into the beginning.

but really, you need to record it to really know how black metal will sound in the long run. you can use all the conventions you want and it still might not even sound like black metal at the end of it, esp when you deal with orchestras and VSTs in such a "raw" genre.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
thanks man, I did actually listen to some Fleshgod before starting it
and I was thinking of continuing onto different stuff after the drony middle section( 52 and onwards), I will most likely get around to it in a few days
Last edited by thewillmeister1 at Dec 24, 2011,
DAT Time Signarute
DAT Piano
DAT FLOW

My first thing is, you got to slow that piano down. It's cool to have fast piano playing, but not necrophagist fast piano playing. XP
Listening to the first 10 bars kinda didn't feel like symphonic black metal, as I got more of a Blackened Death metal vibe to it.
To write some killer Symphonic Black Metal, start with your Orchestra and your drums. Your orchestra will be the foundation of the entire song and your drums will allow you to compose your music with a more fluid work flow. Typically, once I have my orchestra lined up, on my drums I put in nothing but double bass so when I go back to listen to it, I can already imagine what I want out of the drums so that way they will transition well onto the next riff.
The drums weren't bad what so ever, but that's the main thing that took out the black metal vibe and gave it more of a death metal feel.
After drums, then I work on the guitar. Sure I may have some guitar riffs already laid down, but I have to make sure that they are in correlation with everything else as far as BPM/Time Signature go.
Symphonic Black Metal isn't really meant to be brutal in which I had a hard time writing symphonic black metal at first. (Mainly because I was transitioning from Death metal)

My advice in a nutshell, Work more around the orchestra as the foundation of your song and work on the transitions. Oh, and try writing your songs in 4/4.

One of my more recent songs I wrote might be able to help out some what.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1476775 (tab)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYINHlVmpHc&feature=feedu (recording)
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
No bass?
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by vampirelazarus
No bass?

in ze blackest metal, zere is no room for bass

zere is no room for hope

Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
in ze blackest metal, zere is no room for bass

zere is no room for hope

The bass is life!

/dune?
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
not that terrible but too much fret wanking. the piano is indeed only the sweeping strings they usually use....

you need a more epic part. work on a chorus. It sounds a bit too stereotype black but on dropped A and 7 or 8 whatever strings...
Try to do something remarkable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU READ 'H' I MEAN 'B'

GERMAN H = AMERICAN B