Hi guys,

I'm want to replace the pickups in my les Paul studio and I've heard some really great things about Seymour Duncan humbuckers.

I've been looking at a set of:

Seymour Duncan SH-1n & SH-1b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seymour-Duncan-Vintage-Blues-59-Humbucker-Pickup-Calib-Set-SH-1n-SH-1b-Black-/170736270336?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27c0acbc00#ht_3958wt_689

And

Seymour Duncan SH-2 Neck, SH-4 JB Bridge

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Pickup-Set-SH-2-Neck-SH-4-JB-Bridge-Black-/360419372052?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item53eaab2c14#ht_4176wt_689

I play Blues Rock, Funk Rock, Alt Rock and a bit of Hard Rock/Metal (when I say metal I mean Steve vai sorta stuff).
Good cleans is a must and It must handle a bluesy crunch aswell. For distortion I'd like it to have a smooth creamy sustain (think For The Love Of God - Steve Vai but less trebly).
It must handle tapping well and MUST be completely hum-free.

Which of the sets would you recommend? And out of curiosity - uncovered or a nickel cover?
Last edited by itamar100 at Dec 23, 2011,
The JB will give you a sharp edgy rock sound. The SH-1 will be more smooth. All around, the SH sounds like a much better choice for you.
Buy whatever dimarzios steve vai uses, they should cover all those nicely
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge, Pearly Gates in the neck is what I have in my Epi - don't put the JB anywhere a Les Paul, the 59 set is nice but the Pearly Gates is a more interesting and fun pickup IMO and the Custom 5 will give you a bit more output and crunch that a 59 in the bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ +1 on the custom 5 (it's too long since i've tried a pg to remember much about it)

paf pros might be worth a look from dimarzio, too, though they might be too clinical-sounding for the more vintage stuff you play.

don't think it's a great idea to get evos as someone above mentioned... they're too "vai", if you ask me, if you play a wider range of stuff (plus paf pros sound pretty "vai" too while being more versatile).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pearly Gates in the neck.

The bridge is a little more tricky. From what you described, a '59 won't work, and stay the hell away from the JB. Don't even go near that.

I guess I'll agree with steven seagull. Custom 5/Pearly Gates set.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I love the Custom 5 in my Agile Les Paul, sounds great. I have the '59 in the neck position and it's very creamy for lead stuff, but I've thought about giving the Pearly Gates a try as well. Don't think you can go wrong with either, but the Pearly Gates will probably be a bit more versatile.
so.....what about your amp? how's that thing doing?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
so.....what about your amp? how's that thing doing?

My amps not a problem. I currently have Vox AC15VR (really warm sweet sounding hybrid and I'm getting a Jet City JCA5212RC